Average Draft require a big building block: Capela

wolvetigers

23 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Let me provide more clarity.

What I'm saying is we shouldnt solely rely on the draft. We need to show that we are committed to winning, by spending money strategically to build. Capela is a good center that demonstrated his talent in the NBA Western Conference Finals.

He is athletic and can guard multiple positions...He actually would be great to have to assist with our defensive deficiencies.

Now adding him with solid coaching should net us 10 more wins..but it will bring us closer to that 50win team in a couple of years. 

Do you think Nerlens can provide just that at a fraction of the cost and the familiarity with the head coach and his scheme?

Still get a defensive anchor and don't weigh down our cap and options, keeping us flexible for next season and maybe going forward.

3 minutes ago, JCDBaptist said:

I rather keep Collins at the 4, but he does have a post game (at least in college) and help defense ability.

But the league is starting to go back big again. I would only play him there sparingly. Too risky of foul trouble and getting exposed. Huge drop off with our backup.

The league is still pace and space...still a small ball league by far. 

15 hours ago, wolvetigers said:

Now that the dusk has settled, the Hawks had a slightly above average draft. Let me emphasize slightly above average

Sure Trae Young is flashy on offense, but he can't guard his own shadow. The Maryland kid is a good spot up shooter but average defender, and Omari Spellman could be a steal if he stays in shape. The best part of this draft was Travis Schlenk acquiring a future 1st rounder from Dallas to break the tie in our front office regarding the 3rd Pick. As reported, the front office was split on Trae Young vs Doncic. 

Travis took a swing for the fence and got insurance with an extra first round pick - as Hawks fans we have to be encouraged with his moves. HOWEVER, we need to make improvements, and not just to Phillips Arena.

Hawks should go after Clint Capela to anchor our defense. Sure it will cost us some money, but we definitely need some defensive help in the paint. 

Capela is a far reach!....we are getting Noel that’s my prediction 

26 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree on both points; we don't need Capella and Collins is a solid small ball 5. Unless we get a chance to get a superstar in free agency we need to be frugal and do something similar to last season. Two or three small deals to fill the roster; and let the season play out.

I mentioned MCW as a good choice as a BU PG. He gets a 2nd chance on a short contract to make good on his once highly thought of upside. We get a BU who is at least serviceable, especially on defense, as we sort through the season with Dennis and Trae.

Our Sean Livingston...amirite??? I wouldn't mind.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If no one wants to come here then how do we sign Capela?  LOL!

I never said we are signing capela. Lol ....a more realistic target is Noel whom I believe we will get.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

If we don't make a commitment to bringing in talent, our existing talent will either leave or force us into bad contracts to keep them. 

My bad...the Hawks will be Golden State in a few years...I totally missed that. My bad..  smdh

Not necessarily. One could only hope. But logically we are trying to emulate them. Our GM said in his press conference that it is his job to go out amd find the next Curry, Thompson, and Green. He11, he helped build that very same team. And according to our prospects, our players bring an eerily similar skilllset.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

The title of the thread does...Just having fun with the craziness around here

Well some of our fans are going too far ahead and not making realistic predictions. Capela just went to the wcf and I’m sure he’s looking forward to staying with Houston.

Folks mind as well get on the Nerlens Noel bandwagon now because that’s a realistic target I believe will happen. Only way it won’t is if Noel is acting too crazy over his contract but I see him as our “splash” free agent signing and personally I think it’s a very smart move to go after him.

8 minutes ago, JTB said:

The league is still pace and space...still a small ball league by far. 

There are not enough quality bigs to go around at the moment. Teams are salivating at the opportunity to get a quality big. Especially one that can stretch the floor and make FTs at a decent clip and not become a liability on the perimeter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well he has the height not the shot lol...maybe he can develop one .

Make it your bread and butter.

Not sure what Livingston's game was coming into the league because it has been a long, injury riddled journey for him but he has developed a nice mid range game and plays a perfect 6th man role for GS.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Let me try to understand your logic...So you feel that this draft didn't yield any superstars so we should sign Capela to anchor the defense.  What would that accomplish?  You still need the superstar right?  You are not implying that Capela is a superstar are you?

43 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Just making the point that it is a waste of money to pay that kind of player

Agreed.  Hawks shouldn't be handing out max contracts or close to max contracts this year (by all accounts that's the expectation for him).

Capela is a piece you add when you have established your young core and hopefully star player. We aren't there yet.  This draft is year 1 of the rebuild, last season was the tear down.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agreed.  Hawks shouldn't be handing out max contracts or close to max contracts this year (by all accounts that's the expectation for him).

Capela is a piece you add when you have established your young core and hopefully star player. We aren't there yet.  This draft is year 1 of the rebuild, last season was the tear down.

I wouldn't add him then...It would be the Tristan Thompson nightmare in Atlanta

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I wouldn't add him then...It would be the Tristan Thompson nightmare in Atlanta

Exactly. This is how you end up with cap problems early with a young team that isn't ready to compete.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Exactly. This is how you end up with cap problems early with a young team that isn't ready to compete.

You just can't pay top dollars for limited players anymore...Especially the ones that can't even hit free throws

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, wolvetigers said:

Ok b/c Travis tells you we got the players we wanted and you believe him?  Similar to Billy Knight saying we got the players we want aka Shelden Williams, Josh Childress, Acie Law, etc..  Remember that?

This draft didnt give us a true super star, it gave us solid players with glaring weaknesses. We need to plug some defensive holes and Capela would anchor our defense for atleast the next 3 to 4 years. 

If you think this draft didn't give us that superstar player, then it's even more fool hardy to spend big bucks on a center with limited offensive talents as great as a defender/rebounder that he is.

42 minutes ago, JTB said:

I never said we are signing capela. Lol ....a more realistic target is Noel whom I believe we will get.

Noel's problem is attitude and work ethic though.  Not a good culture piece regardless of on-court fit. 

I'd rather try to elevate a gleague guy like the dude from HOU that shoots underhand free throws.

• Like 1