• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hypothetical situation that could become a reality

KB21

Denver is sitting there needing to offload some money so they can resign Jokic while staying under the tax threshold.  They have the contracts of Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler (who just opted in), and Darrell Arthur that they really need to get rid of, even if it is just one of them.

We know that the Hawks had some discussions prior to the draft about taking on Faried's contract.  What's unknown is what they discussed as compensation.

This is not sourced information but supposition on my part based on what I believe to be the core traits that Travis Schlenk values in a player, but I have a feeling the Hawks will be very interested in taking this contract if the Nuggets attach Michael Porter Jr to the deal.

Here's where I veer off though.  I'm not terribly high on Porter Jr, and the back issues are real.  Taking him on is a major risk.  Is Michael Porter Jr by himself enough of an asset to take the Faried contract off their ledger?  I think if I am Atlanta, I would want a maybe top 10 protected pick in 2020 to be thrown into the deal as well.  

While I'm not that high on Michael Porter Jr, if the Hawks added him and his back allows him to play 8-10 years of solid basketball in the league, the the mix of Porter Jr with Trae Young, Kevin Huerter, and perhaps Cameron Reddish from the 2019 draft could potentially shoot the foreverloving shit out of the basketball.

• Like 1

Do you really think the Nuggets would be willing to trade Porter Jr now? If a deal including him was to happen, it would've been before the draft. I don't see why the Nuggets would give us Porter Jr. and an additional pick just to take on one year of Faried. I get the fact they need to move somebody, but Schlenk should have made something happen on draft night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Do you really think the Nuggets would be willing to trade Porter Jr now? If a deal including him was to happen, it would've been before the draft. I don't see why the Nuggets would give us Porter Jr. and an additional pick just to take on one year of Faried. I get the fact they need to move somebody, but Schlenk should have made something happen on draft night.

I think they would because he doesn't help them in anyway get over that hump and into the playoffs now.  Honestly, I think they will be more inclined to move him than they are Trey Lyles.

Now, I'm not sure why they didn't get a deal done before the draft.  Maybe they tried to bluff a team and were reluctant to give up that 14th pick, but they are in a situation now where their nuts are in a vice.  They have to make a move, or they will pay the luxury tax to be a lower level playoff team in the West.  Atlanta and Chicago are really the only teams that can and are willing to accommodate them without having to send salary back to them.  

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Nuggets are prob pretty excited to get a steal of Porter at  aren’t giving him away now

Well, he's not exactly a steal.  With his back and lack of overall physical development at this point, there is very little chance he makes an impact soon.  Denver wants to make the playoffs now.  Atlanta doesn't.  Atlanta would be willing to redshirt him this year and then go through the pain of the developmental curve with him in year's 2 and 3.  

Nuggets are prob pretty excited to get a steal of Porter at  aren’t giving him away now

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not high on him, but he could potentially be their best player in 5 years.

I think they would because he doesn't help them in anyway get over that hump and into the playoffs now.  Honestly, I think they will be more inclined to move him than they are Trey Lyles.

Now, I'm not sure why they didn't get a deal done before the draft.  Maybe they tried to bluff a team and were reluctant to give up that 14th pick, but they are in a situation now where their nuts are in a vice.  They have to make a move, or they will pay the luxury tax to be a lower level playoff team in the West.  Atlanta and Chicago are really the only teams that can and are willing to accommodate them without having to send salary back to them.  

Unless his back is shot and everybody in the league knows he won't be the same player, I think the Nuggets would be very reluctant to move him in a salary dump. You are right the Nuggets are desperate to move some salary, I just don't see them moving MPJ anywhere. The fact that we're one of only a few teams that can bail them out is a big advantage though.

I'd rather ask for unprotected picks in 2020 and 2021 to take on Faried and even Arthur if we have to. No young players. They can keep Porter Jr. and by 2020 he could be injured all year for all we know and Millsap would be old and I see that being a good pick.

This could be our chance to Brooklyn Denver.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, warcore said:

I'd rather ask for unprotected picks in 2020 and 2021 to take on Faried and even Arthur if we have to. No young players. They can keep Porter Jr. and by 2020 he could be injured all year for all we know and Millsap would be old and I see that being a good pick.

This could be our chance to Brooklyn Denver.

That could also be a pick in a very weak draft.  2019 is already a weak draft based on my preliminary look at the prospects.  I'm not sure 2020 will be any better.  

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That could also be a pick in a very weak draft.  2019 is already a weak draft based on my preliminary look at the prospects.  I'm not sure 2020 will be any better.  

I still agree with @warcore that something like a future draft pick for Faried is more likely. Schlenk seems all about future assets, and I doubt Denver is willing to just dump MPJ now only to get rid of Faried's deal. Stranger things have happened but it just doesn't seem as likely as getting a future pick.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

Unless his back is shot and everybody in the league knows he won't be the same player, I think the Nuggets would be very reluctant to move him in a salary dump. You are right the Nuggets are desperate to move some salary, I just don't see them moving MPJ anywhere. The fact that we're one of only a few teams that can bail them out is a big advantage though.

Isn't some version of this the only possible explanation for nearly dropping entirely out of the lottery?  I think teams saw real medical issues with his back or he would have gone top 10.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Isn't some version of this the only possible explanation for nearly dropping entirely out of the lottery?  I think teams saw real medical issues with his back or he would have gone top 10.

I am leaning this way to. If he would have just been a slight risk he would have been a top ten pick.

I mentioned this way back during the Sap debates, Denver is either going to have to bite the bullet on the tax re-signing Jokic or jettison a prospect/pick to get out from one of their many dud big men.  Porter does seem like a likely trade piece if the intention is to redshirt his rookie season, Barton is more than likely a cap casualty so the aim of Denver will probably be to keep whatever current contributors that they can.

Jockic is a RFA. So, the Hawks can really turn the screws on Denver by signaling they will offer a max or near max salary for him. This could force Denver into giving us what we want from a trade. Whether that is Porter or Lyles or something else, it seems the Hawks are in the driver seat here. My suspicion is that in the draft Denver was balking at some of Atlanta's trade demands, and that is what the trade wasn't made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frosgrim said:

Jockic is a RFA. So, the Hawks can really turn the screws on Denver by signaling they will offer a max or near max salary for him. This could force Denver into giving us what we want from a trade. Whether that is Porter or Lyles or something else, it seems the Hawks are in the driver seat here. My suspicion is that in the draft Denver was balking at some of Atlanta's trade demands, and that is what the trade wasn't made.

I think the two players the Hawks would target are Porter and Lyles. 

2 hours ago, frosgrim said:

IIUC, the activities DEN/Jokic are proposing will make him an UFA with a handshake deal that they're doing so in order for him to sign with them.  Thus avoiding restricted free ageny or stte.

34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think the two players the Hawks would target are Porter and Lyles. 

Porter yes, Lyles nah.

19 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Denver is going to make a move to free up cap. I hate to say this but Faried to Dallas, if they strike out on Cousins, would be a good fit.

Smelling like Deandre Jordan to DAL is likely.  Also seems DAL is a potential target for Randle.

Would they still want Faried?

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

IIUC, the activities DEN/Jokic are proposing will make him an UFA with a handshake deal that they're doing so in order for him to sign with them.  Thus avoiding restricted free ageny or stte.

Porter yes, Lyles nah.

Smelling like Deandre Jordan to DAL is likely.  Also seems DAL is a potential target for Randle.

Ya they’d want all 3 cuz they love power forward...and they’d play them all on the floor at the same time...

why come...

:spank:

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Porter yes, Lyles nah.

Yeesh!  The combo of Jordan and Randle will offer no space on offense and very minimal perimeter defense.

• Like 1