• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone excited for FA 2019?

sturt

Atlanta will not be a player in the 2019 free agency period either.  They will probably be passed this idea that they need to take on bad/dead money that comes attached to "assets", but they won't be ready to spend either.  They will make a deal or two this year that takes on enough bad money that they will essentially be eliminated from being able to be legitimate players in free agency in 2019.  2020 is the absolute earliest they actually try to sign players that will help them win.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Atlanta will not be a player in the 2019 free agency period either.  They will probably be passed this idea that they need to take on bad/dead money that comes attached to "assets", but they won't be ready to spend either.  They will make a deal or two this year that takes on enough bad money that they will essentially be eliminated from being able to be legitimate players in free agency in 2019.  2020 is the absolute earliest they actually try to sign players that will help them win.

Agreed. The FA period is Yawn time for at least the next two years.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That will also be the year alot of the 'cap jump contracts' get off the books.

2019 is supposed to have a better crop of FAs as well.

From the Basketball Insiders list, Butler, Thompson and Leonard appear to be the lead dogs this time next year. I might've missed someone, though.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

From the Basketball Insiders list, Butler, Thompson and Leonard appear to be the lead dogs this time next year. I might've missed someone, though.

Plus the RFAs, I haven't perused the full list but I keep reading it's a better crop of FAs.

Based on our history to pull star free agents. I am never excited for FA. I plan to watch until one day I am surprised and we actually get real talent that could potentially one day get us a ring. Since this has never actually happened. I plan to be surprised when it does so I dont get disappointed anymore.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, noble said:

Based on our history to pull star free agents. I am never excited for FA. I plan to watch until one day I am surprised and we actually get real talent that could potentially one day get us a ring. Since this has never actually happened. I plan to be surprised when it does so I dont get disappointed anymore.

To be fair, more often than not... make that far more often than not... we haven't had cap space to even be in a position to pursue any top tier players. Am I wrong?

10 hours ago, sturt said:

For someone who tries very hard to approach everything from a point of reason, this seems pretty void of any of that. In its place, pessimism for no apparent purpose other than to continue the diarrhea spill on the GM and his decision.

Rather, as someone in another post I read today pointed out, you've got to exploit the rookie scale years you have with your young assets.

Exactly right. That is what Boston did with Horford and Hayward and that is how the Cavs got Bron back with Kyrie in hand.

• Like 1

I don’t think the Hawks sign anybody earth-shattering in 2019, but possibly our Robin to attract our 2020’s Batman. 

9 hours ago, sturt said:

To be fair, more often than not... make that far more often than not... we haven't had cap space to even be in a position to pursue any top tier players. Am I wrong?

True, but even when we had a chance, it never materialized. Like I said this way it is a pleasant surprise lol.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, hazer said:

I don’t think the Hawks sign anybody earth-shattering in 2019, but possibly our Robin to attract our 2020’s Batman. 

48 minutes ago, noble said:

True, but even when we had a chance, it never materialized. Like I said this way it is a pleasant surprise lol.

We would have to have a phenomenally successful 2018-19 season to be an attractive destination next summer for a single FA.

So, neither do I think we'll actually gain anyone next off-season worth talking about... that is... unless we somehow can shed enough salary to attract two.

2018-07-01_1955.png

More likely, any major asset from FA doesn't arrive until this time in 2020.

(That doesn't mean they won't try, though.)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Along with the myth of tanking, there is this myth that Atlanta is never in the mix for big time players in free agency.

AcclaimedShyAfricanwildcat.gif

Not true.

That's one. Who else was "big time"? And dont give me Milsap. Johnson is 2.

• Premium Member

Biggest ever signing was 1988, as @Vol4ever alluded to... Moses Malone and Reggie Theus joining Nique was thought to be all we needed to get over the hump... but ended up, a chemical disaster.

And getting LaPhonso Ellis was thought to be a pretty big deal about 10 years later.

So, here's a question for ya, related to the OP...

Are we still pretty much the non-destination we always were during the Atlanta Spirit era?

Do you imagine there is any substantive difference in how FAs will feel about coming here now than any previous time?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Biggest ever signing was 1988, as @Vol4ever alluded to... Moses Malone and Reggie Theus joining Nique was thought to be all we needed to get over the hump... but ended up, a chemical disaster.

And getting LaPhonso Ellis was thought to be a pretty big deal about 10 years later.

So, here's a question for ya, related to the OP...

Are we still pretty much the non-destination we always were during the Atlanta Spirit era?

Do you imagine there is any substantive difference in how FAs will feel about coming here now than any previous time?

The culture has to be defined.