Pumped for Trae

volman

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I just think it's .... let's call it 'special' .. how some folks will remain silent after Young performs well.  But, when he struggles (which is inevitable for rookie points), they find a way to get vocal.

You know who you are and you know it ain't right.

What did we lose Soth again? Or do I need to schedule a DOCTOR’s appointment? ? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was excited about Trae when we drafted him but I had no idea he would be this good this soon. It is not almost but IS unheard of! He has had a couple bad games but for him a bad game is better than a lot of rookie point guards. Its just magnified because CLP lets him play through it rather than yanking him for mistakes. That is what development is about. Learn by doing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cwell said:

My favorite play from him against Miami was that pull up mid ranger jumper he hit. If he adds that to his game, he'll be even more unstoppable getting to the rim. You're more predictable when your offense is only shooting 3's or shots at the rim. The mid will always be there

That helps, the running floaters help. I'm worried teams are going to start cutting off his passing lanes. The way he attacks the rim doesn't always leave much room for a bail out with his size, but the well rounded game should help with that. 

5 minutes ago, Cwell said:

My favorite play from him against Miami was that pull up mid ranger jumper he hit. If he adds that to his game, he'll be even more unstoppable getting to the rim. You're more predictable when your offense is only shooting 3's or shots at the rim. The mid will always be there

Great point and it’s been said a billion times but the midrange is a lost art. Rip Hamilton was the last to master it imo. Maybe a cliche and analytic no no but I still like the mid range very much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcleitsy said:

That helps, the running floaters help. I'm worried teams are going to start cutting off his passing lanes. The way he attacks the rim doesn't always leave much room for a bail out with his size, but the well rounded game should help with that. 

a mid range jumper is gonna fall for him at a much higher clip than those rainbow floaters from the free throw line, that's for damn sure. I just hope he starts taking them more

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Great point and it’s been said a billion times but the midrange is a lost art. Rip Hamilton was the last to master it imo. Maybe a cliche and analytic no no but I still like the mid range very much.

yeah I absolutely hate how the mid range is ignored now. Rip was one of my favorite players for that reason. Those are going to fall at a much higher rate than those damn near half court heaves, and prayer floaters. Trae has to release his floaters further out than most because even those are easily blockable for him. He's gotta add that middy, just got to. Especially when the 3 isn't falling

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cwell said:

a mid range jumper is gonna fall for him at a much higher clip than those rainbow floaters from the free throw line, that's for damn sure. I just hope he starts taking them more

I'd like to know at what % he is hitting the floaters. Seems to be going well so far.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Cwell said:

yeah I absolutely hate how the mid range is ignored now. Rip was one of my favorite players for that reason. Those are going to fall at a much higher rate than those damn near half court heaves, and prayer floaters. Trae has to release his floaters further out than most because even those are easily blockable for him. He's gotta add that middy, just got to. Especially when the 3 isn't falling

The challenge for mid-range to long 2's is they have to fall at a pretty high %.  If you make them at a 47% rate that is really good but is worse than a 36% shot a couple of feet back.  Pitino's vision of all 3's and shots at the basket back from his stint as head coach of the Knicks has slowly come to be the NBA norm.

1 hour ago, Cwell said:

Yup, agreed all around. Trae’s size will force his creativity level as far things he needs to do on the court to even the playing field with that size mismatch he’s got. Trae is crafty I’m sure he’s gonna add it, at least hope he does.

55 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pitino's vision of all 3's and shots at the basket back from his stint as head coach of the Knicks has slowly come to be the NBA norm.

Was it Pitino? I thought it was Don Nelson from Golden State and to some degree Doug Moe in Denver and a touch of Paul Westphal in Phoenix. No? 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Was it Pitino? I thought it was Don Nelson from Golden State and to some degree Doug Moe in Denver and a touch of Paul Westphal in Phoenix. No? 

Westphal's first season in Phoenix was 1992-93 - almost half a decade after Pitino already started this.  Pitino was also in NY doing this before Nelson even arrived in GS. 

Moe took 5 years to have a team rank in the top half of the league in 3pt FGA/gm and was not in the top 10 in 3ptm/gm for all but 1 of his first 8 seasons in Denver.  He was definitely not a driver of this movement even though he eventually had a few teams that were among the league leaders.  

By Pitino's second season in New York here is where they ranked in 3ptA/GM in 1988-89:

Pitino's Knicks #1 - 14.0 3pta/gm

Doug Moe's Nuggets #5 - 8.2 3pta/gm

Nelson's Warriors #9 - 7.7 3pta/gm

Pitino then came to Lexington where he brought his "every shot should be a dunk/layup or 3pt shot" to the college game to great success.

The first time any of Nelson, Moe or Westphal would have a team shoot as many as 14 3pta/gm was 1994-95 (Westphal's Suns) - six years after Pitino was doing it with the Knicks.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Westphal's first season in Phoenix was 1992-93 - almost half a decade after Pitino already started this.  Pitino was also in NY doing this before Nelson even arrived in GS. 

Moe took 5 years to have a team rank in the top half of the league in 3pt FGA/gm and was not in the top 10 in 3ptm/gm for all but 1 of his first 8 seasons in Denver.  He was definitely not a driver of this movement even though he eventually had a few teams that were among the league leaders.  

By Pitino's second season in New York here is where they ranked in 3ptA/GM in 1988-89:

Pitino's Knicks #1 - 14.0 3pta/gm

Doug Moe's Nuggets #5 - 8.2 3pta/gm

Nelson's Warriors #9 - 7.7 3pta/gm

Pitino then came to Lexington where he brought his "every shot should be a dunk/layup or 3pt shot" to the college game to great success.

The first time any of Nelson, Moe or Westphal would have a team shoot as many as 14 3pta/gm was 1994-95 (Westphal's Suns) - six years after Pitino was doing it with the Knicks.

Wow ? that’s insane. A hotshot like me who thinks he knows a ton about the nba didn’t know that. In fact, when I was watching Pitino with the Knicks I saw a rough house team consisting of non three point shooters in many of their personal at the time...(pre starks lol) they had guys that could hit like Trent Tucker and such but not a ton of three point shooters..I think Billy Donovan was on Pitino’s Knicks in 87 as well if im not mistaken.

Wow AHF, this was ur best post towards me..EVER. ? You blew my mind. 

13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We're just a few weeks into the season and we have a draft pick who is not only a starter from day one but is the best offensive player on the team.   That's what you are shooting for in a top draft pick.  We should all be friggin ecstatic.

Did you not see the Tattoo thread. A 42 year old man finally wants to get his first tattoo of a pac man logo Hawk and a 20 year old superstar!

• Like 2