Pumped for Trae

volman

For some reason I feel like every shooter we’ve ever drafted struggles in summer league initially.

Dorsey last summer was azz, now he’s stroking it off the dribble and attacking, etc.

Trae may not be hitting his shots right now but I’m watching him make good basketball decisions and learning to play off the ball more as well, and focusing on defense. 

Our coaching staff is doing their due diligence in developing the aspects of his game that he will need in order to have an impactful career beyond being a deep shooter.

He isn’t fully comfortable yet but you can see he has a lot more to his game than he was sold as. 

It’s the old saying, “break you down to build you back up.” Trae is being transformed in to a two way player that can have an impact with or without the ball. It won’t come quickly but thankfully we have time during the rebuild.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Today is my first opportunity to watch summer league.  These games look a lot like the NBA all star game.  The big difference, the all star guys hit their shots.  Things will look a lot different in the NBA season games.  There, they actually have plays that they run.  Also, they game plan for different teams.

Trae impressed me.  Not with his shooting, although he did hit some long threes.  His court vision was apparent.  He has the ability to hand out a bucket full of assists when he is playing with NBA players.  This was apparent when he teamed up with Dorsey and Collins.

This season, instead of having those three veteran NBA players on our roster that we moved, we have three teen agers.  Therefore I expect us to be worse the 1st half of the season as these three play and learn.  Then, in the second half, I believe we will be better.

:MooseGoggles:

:approved:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

My gut feeling is that Trae will be one of those players that are better with more talent around them.

Me too. also some people are just gamers that show up when it really matters. Summer League is like a scrimmage really

• Like 1

• Moderators

(As I want to be clear - this was the best game from him so far but 33% from the floor magnificent?  No.  Just no.  He is raw and has a lot of work to do.  His shot will improve and his selection will have to dramatically improve [which will also boost his %s].)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

My gut feeling is that Trae will be one of those players that are better with more talent around them.

I agree but all point guards benefit from spacing and guys who actually make shots. When he was double teamed on his drives tonight he made better passes and players made more shots.

I think Collins likes playing with him and if true, that will be a positive later down the road.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I wouldn't say that. He finally looked solid today. He needs better shot selection, and he needs to work on a floater.

His shot selection is not that bad. The deep threes he makes normally at a respectable clip forcing opponents to pick him up soon as he crosses the three point line. Watch his highlights often you will see three plus players above the three point line. This will opens alot of space/driving lanes, for himself and his teammates. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, asdogg said:

His shot selection is not that bad. The deep threes he makes normally at a respectable clip forcing opponents to pick him up soon as he crosses the three point line. Watch his highlights often you will see three plus players above the three point line. This will opens alot of space/driving lanes, for himself and his teammates. 

His shot selection is really rough.  Those are not shots you want him taking in ordinary play.

48 minutes ago, asdogg said:

No, YES IT IS. It doesn't matter if he makes a few of them. Pulling up that deep behind the NBA 3 point line that early in the shot clock will never NOT be a HORRIBLE shot. Only reason he finished with 33% FG percentage yesterday was because he was taking wild shots that were completely unnecessary 

• Like 4