• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pumped for Trae

volman

11 hours ago, AHF said:

(As I want to be clear - this was the best game from him so far but 33% from the floor magnificent?  No.  Just no.  He is raw and has a lot of work to do.  His shot will improve and his selection will have to dramatically improve [which will also boost his %s].)

So he has to just shoot well to be magnificent? Ok. 

1 hour ago, asdogg said:

I am pumped for him as well brother. Imagine when his shot starts falling. He will be f**king amazing! ??????

This is the point. Shots aren’t even falling right now and he was 20/3/11. Not a bad stat line... he is still learning his spots offensively but I freaking love his vision and he definitely wants to set his team mates up for open shots. 

We also have someone with balls to take a shot too which is nice for once. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, volman said:

So he has to just shoot well to be magnificent? Ok. 

Magnificent is a high bar.  A guy who has two talents - scoring and passing cannot be terrible in one (33%) and be magnificent without stepping up huge in other areas.  He was better but still not very good.  He is raw and young so at this point that shouldn’t surprise.

12 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Today is my first opportunity to watch summer league.  These games look a lot like the NBA all star game.  The big difference, the all star guys hit their shots.  Things will look a lot different in the NBA season games.  There, they actually have plays that they run.  Also, they game plan for different teams.

Trae impressed me.  Not with his shooting, although he did hit some long threes.  His court vision was apparent.  He has the ability to hand out a bucket full of assists when he is playing with NBA players.  This was apparent when he teamed up with Dorsey and Collins.

This season, instead of having those three veteran NBA players on our roster that we moved, we have three teen agers.  Therefore I expect us to be worse the 1st half of the season as these three play and learn.  Then, in the second half, I believe we will be better.

:MooseGoggles:

Hi Mule.  Been some years.   How you doing?

On 7/5/2018 at 11:56 AM, DrReality said:

I sure wasn’t ready for what he’s facing when I was 19.  All for him.  

I completely agree!!  I feel for any teenager that has the media set him up so that he looks bad if does not play like a two time MVP and arguably the best three point shooter of all time in his first pro game.

The trade got so much negative reaction I know almost any confident 19 year old would want to shut people up.  He pushed way to hard to be Steph in Utah.  Yesterday he was much better.   Those "4" point shots need to stop (I almost wish he didn't make enough to keep jacking them up).  But he showed great handles, good chemistry with Collins and looked like a PG yesterday not somebody trying to qualify for the three point competition.  I'm excited for today's game and feeling better about the pick and what we may have in the future with Collins and Trey!!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ThomasCredle said:

I completely agree!!  I feel for any teenager that has the media set him up so that he looks bad if does not play like a two time MVP and arguably the best three point shooter of all time in his first pro game.

The trade got so much negative reaction I know almost any confident 19 year old would want to shut people up.  He pushed way to hard to be Steph in Utah.  Yesterday he was much better.   Those "4" point shots need to stop (I almost wish he didn't make enough to keep jacking them up).  But he showed great handles, good chemistry with Collins and looked like a PG yesterday not somebody trying to qualify for the three point competition.  I'm excited for today's game and feeling better about the pick and what we may have in the future with Collins and Trey!!!

Nice post. To say he's polarizing is an understatement.  Those that didn't want him in the first place aren't going to see the good, but those that wanted him are going to have to defend his every mistake.  Like it or not, he's here.  I'm glad personally and this coming from a Luka, Bamba fan.  He has to grow and most reasonable people for/against understand that it may take some time.  But I think it's refreshing that he's flashed a lot of good and opportunity to improve.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I think everyone (both sides) are missing the all important stat....12 free throw attempts.  When I was originally hammering for Trae on the draft thread, I mentioned 2 things....his court vision is off the charts and his body control going to the basket puts players on his hip and he draws fouls.   Most importantly, the type of fouls he draws are body bumps, not crash to the floor, wrist hammering, career ending fouls.  He just gets people out of position and makes the possession matter.  With other "shoot first PGs", they go so hard to the basket, the plays are super dangerous, ankle busting, flying into the camera man plays.  The either miss or make the shot and a 4 for 12 shooting night = 9 points.  But Trae drew 6 shooting fouls.  21 points on 12 shots, 17 possessions.  No wasted possessions.

This foul drawing cannot be understated.  Getting to the line is the epitome of game control.  It is how you control everything on the floor. Every time you draw a foul and shoot at the line, you are stopping play and stopping potential transition.

This is my biggest problem with the long 3's (and 3's in general). 3's miss 65% of the time. That is 65 chances out of a 100 for long rebounds and transition offense for the other team.  But getting to the line is the great equalizer.  Its points, where points were lost and its a transition stop without ever having to run the floor.  Give him time and the whole team will eventually adjust.  Trae's style of play doesn't just mean more foul shots for him, it means more foul shots for everyone.  If Collins hits his 4 missed FT's yesterday, that was a win.

I’m a FT fanatic as well.  I have nightmares about all the times Joe big ass went 0-0.  You can tell it’s built into Trae’s playing philosophy to have a second home at the line.  Missed a few too many for my liking but a player so young understanding the wide-ranging effects of drawing fouls is great.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

3 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

Trae..:MooseGoggles:

6 hours ago, Cwell said:

No, YES IT IS. It doesn't matter if he makes a few of them. Pulling up that deep behind the NBA 3 point line that early in the shot clock will never NOT be a HORRIBLE shot. Only reason he finished with 33% FG percentage yesterday was because he was taking wild shots that were completely unnecessary 

Blame Steph. He made the 36 ft three acceptable.

• Premium Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/07/08/hawks-rookie-trae-young-breaks-out-vegas-summer-league-debut/766183002/

...“I’ve gotten a lot of open looks (in the two summer leagues). I mean separation (from the defender) hasn’t been the problem, it’s been knocking down the shot. Like I said, this is only my fourth five-on-five game (in the NBA), and throughout the whole draft process I was only on one-on-one workouts, and it’s a lot different getting into game mode.”

Besides, Curry himself shot just 32.5% in his five-game summer league outing in 2009. Maybe, just maybe, it’s too early to tell what lies ahead for Young.

The sarcasm in that last sentence is spot on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

I think everyone (both sides) are missing the all important stat....12 free throw attempts.  When I was originally hammering for Trae on the draft thread, I mentioned 2 things....his court vision is off the charts and his body control going to the basket puts players on his hip and he draws fouls.   Most importantly, the type of fouls he draws are body bumps, not crash to the floor, wrist hammering, career ending fouls.  He just gets people out of position and makes the possession matter.  With other "shoot first PGs", they go so hard to the basket, the plays are super dangerous, ankle busting, flying into the camera man plays.  The either miss or make the shot and a 4 for 12 shooting night = 9 points.  But Trae drew 6 shooting fouls.  21 points on 12 shots, 17 possessions.  No wasted possessions.

This foul drawing cannot be understated.  Getting to the line is the epitome of game control.  It is how you control everything on the floor. Every time you draw a foul and shoot at the line, you are stopping play and stopping potential transition.

This is my biggest problem with the long 3's (and 3's in general). 3's miss 65% of the time. That is 65 chances out of a 100 for long rebounds and transition offense for the other team.  But getting to the line is the great equalizer.  Its points, where points were lost and its a transition stop without ever having to run the floor.  Give him time and the whole team will eventually adjust.  Trae's style of play doesn't just mean more foul shots for him, it means more foul shots for everyone.  If Collins hits his 4 missed FT's yesterday, that was a win.

@Gray Mule gonna love this one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

As much as I hated playing against AI. I admired his grit and determination in the land of the trees. This is exactly what I hope for Trae, 8 free throw attempts a game when he plays 30 or more minutes.

I compared this part of his college game in an earlier post to AI's. I hope it transitions because it was one his his best attributes.

• Moderators

12 hours ago, AHF said:
His shot selection is really rough.  Those are not shots you want him taking in ordinary play.

1373139550000-USP-NBA-Playoffs-Atlanta-H

”Don’t worry AHF, I’ll work with Trae on shot selection and taking long jump shots! If they leave ya open, you gotta take it, Trae!!!”

• Like 3

• Moderators

If Trae gets to the line in a large volume in NBA games that would be huge for him.  Turned a guy like Kevin  Martin from a solid 2 into an offensive stud.  He will hit a high % at the line so the SL misses are the least concerning ‘struggle’ he has had.  The 8 fta/GM number @Buzzard three out would help him stabilize his scoring and efficiency so much.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The long 3 has the same effect as the 3 in general.   It opens up the floor.  In college and so far in SL defenders are afraid of that long 3.  Maybe they shouldn't be.  Maybe they won't if he hits them at a 20% clip but as long as he's sucking defenders 4 feet behind the arc it's helping expose the defense and creating space for everyone.   It's like a dunk.   Same number of points as a layup but i guarantee defenders don't want Trae, or anyone, burying a 30 footer on their watch.   Even in SL the crowd goes crazy when he makes one and it ups the energy level in the building and for the team.   Not saying it's always a smart play but it has benefits.

That only works if you hit them at a dangerous %.  Need at least 33% to even be considered.

• Admin
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

The long 3 has the same effect as the 3 in general.   It opens up the floor.  In college and so far in SL defenders are afraid of that long 3.  Maybe they shouldn't be.  Maybe they won't if he hits them at a 20% clip but as long as he's sucking defenders 4 feet behind the arc it's helping expose the defense and creating space for everyone.   It's like a dunk.   Same number of points as a layup but i guarantee defenders don't want Trae, or anyone, burying a 30 footer on their watch.   Even in SL the crowd goes crazy when he makes one and it ups the energy level in the building and for the team.   Not saying it's always a smart play but it has benefits.

He has to take the long three because he is having trouble getting his shot off any closer.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

He has to take the long three because he is having trouble getting his shot off any closer.  

Let's let the team actually work on some sets and see how that goes.  He has to be able to get quality shots and it will be up to him and our coaching staff to make that happen.  Long road of development starts this summer and this upcoming season.

• Like 1