• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OKC and Atlanta in talks - Dennis and Muscala for Melo - Deal Done (Not Fake News)

JayBirdHawk

Holy Jeepers. Never would have actually expected that. So does Trae start out of the gate? Pretty sure we are a seriously good lotto pick again if this transpires.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When this says 'Atlanta looking to add asset' . Are we looking to add an asset to our treasure chest or are we adding the asset to move Dennis????

I read this as adding an asset to our treasure chest since it says Atlanta is looking to add an asset and not that OKC is looking for Atlanta to add an asset.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am sure OKC is finding next to no interest for Carmelo and the idea of buying him out is pretty unappealing for them given they want to win now.  Adding Moose and Dennis would be similar salary this year but would be players they actually want on the roster.  Dennis does seem like a tough guy to fit with Westbrook but they may not have many options.

The Hawks should demand OKC's 2023 first round pick with limited protections since they would be taking on Dennis's remaining contract, but watch them settle for just a 2nd round pick or a highly protected 1st.  

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I am sure OKC is finding next to no interest for Carmelo and the idea of buying him out is pretty unappealing for them given they want to win now.  Adding Moose and Dennis would be similar salary this year but would be players they actually want on the roster.  Dennis does seem like a tough guy to fit with Westbrook but they may not have many options.

Also, if OKC buys him out, it doesn't help them with the luxury tax.  He will still count against the LT.

• Admin

They need a stretch big and it’s a role Moose can fill but they are going to have 300 millions dollar cap hit with Melo ... stretching him would save them so much more then making a trade of equal dollar value. Plus having two bad shooting point guards is not ideal ... Felton who is already on the team was there for the 10 - 15 minutes of backup pg for the min ... why add all this salary at a position that they don’t have a need at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks should demand OKC's 2023 first round pick with limited protections since they would be taking on Dennis's remaining contract, but watch them settle for just a 2nd round pick or a highly protected 1st.  

Also, if OKC buys him out, it doesn't help them with the luxury tax.  He will still count against the LT.

Agreed on us asking for a first and you are correct on the tax.  This saves them some tax as well:

Dennis + Moose = $20.5M

Camelo = $26.2M

= base saving of $5.7M which then multiply with the tax consequences

• Like 1

• Admin

It helps a lot if they stretch him

• Moderators
Just now, capstone21 said:

It helps a lot if they stretch him

That is also true but if they want to win now there is a balancing act they have to walk.  Getting savings and a talent upgrade (I don't think much of Melo next to Westbrook and PG) might be appealing.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I proposed a similar trade but with Bazemore (i think they need him more than Dennis with Roberson coming off injury) and 2022 1st coming back.

OKC can save luxury tax payment by buying out then stretch his salary over 3 years. That'll save them $100 mil in LT.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I proposed a similar trade but with Bazemore (i think they need him more than Dennis with Roberson coming off injury) and 2022 1st coming back.

OKC can save luxury tax payment by buying out then stretch his salary over 3 years. That'll save them $100 mil in LT.

They are talking to some other teams about Bazemore right now.

• Like 2

I'm eggercising caution on this one.  This is the same eggspert that said OKC was trading Lin for 'sMelo.  Could be him trying to re-introduce the same rumor ... but different.

Hope he's right ... this time.  Not because I want Dennis gone, just seems an inevitability and in this case we're not losing an asset.

• Like 2