• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OKC and Atlanta in talks - Dennis and Muscala for Melo - Deal Done (Not Fake News)

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
Just now, hawkman said:

They won't be "bad", but with the Lakers taking one of those lower Playoff spots out West it's getting mighty competitive out there. It won't be easy. I'd take their 1st next season. It should at least be in the teens.

They literally can't trade their pick next year anyway so it is academic.  Just saying this could pay off like a Memphis deal (which was the deal that put Detroit in position to draft Melo, Wade or Bosh).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hawkman said:

They won't be "bad", but with the Lakers taking one of those lower Playoff spots out West it's getting mighty competitive out there. It won't be easy. I'd take their 1st next season. It should at least be in the teens.

They can't trade their 2019 first.

Also, it appears that with three potential first round picks, the Hawks don't really want to add another one in 2019.  

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is super not happening.  They have no means of getting a top 3 or top 5 pick in the near term unless you think their team is going to be that bad with Westbrook and PG.  Dennis is also not having any real trade value so you are looking for a total windfall deal for Atlanta.

It’s not likely, but anything could happen. A major injury to any one of their best three players could mean they miss the playoffs. Dennis has a ton a value to OKC which has one of the worst rosters I’ve seen in the league as far as depth is concerned. Not only that, let’s not forget the real reason they want this trade is to take pressure off of them cap-wise. They don’t have a lot of teams in position to pull it off.

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They won't do that AND take on Dennis.  There's a good chance this deal gets done without anything being added.  

You forgot they want to get rid of Carmelo probably more than we want to be rid of Dennis.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

OKC can also NOT trade their 2019 draft pick due to The Stepien Rule, as they have traded their 2018 pick and their 2020 pick (theoretically).  So, the earliest pick you can get is 2022.

Damn.   So it's a sub 20 win season, plus no 1st round pick for 3 years, if we do this deal ( and if they gave us a pick )?

Just now, EazyRoc said:

It’s not likely, but anything could happen. A major injury to any one of their best three players could mean they miss the playoffs. Dennis has a ton a value to OKC which has one of the worst rosters I’ve seen in the league as far as depth is concerned. Not only that, let’s not forget the real reason they want this trade is to take pressure off of them cap-wise. They don’t have a lot of teams in position to pull it off.

You forgot they want to get rid of Carmelo probably more than we want to be rid of Dennis.

They still have the stretch provision available to them though.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes, but don't be surprised if no pick is included.

IMO, the Hawks sent a clear message they want nothing to do with Dennis when they drafted Trae and then they doubled down on that message when they decided to fill $14M of their cap space with Lin.

In this rumor, they are trading 3 years at $15.5M for one year of $28M.  From a cap management perspective, it makes sense even without any picks but I do hope we get something because the upside is pretty nice for OKC too.

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Damn.   So it's a sub 20 win season, plus no 1st round pick for 3 years, if we do this deal ( and if they gave us a pick )?

I don't like this rumor at all. I see no reason to throw Trae in the fire. I also think it's not good business to sell low on Dennis like we did with Lou. Let Dennis play and up his value before the trade deadline.

• Like 3

Just now, hawkman said:

I don't like this rumor at all. I see no reason to throw Trae in the fire. I also think it's not good business to sell low on Dennis like we did with Lou. Let Dennis play and up his value before the trade deadline.

The Hawks believe Dennis will be a locker room issue with Trae Young around to take his spot.  Much like Dwight last year, they just want to move him.

CViv is saying that Hawks didn't entertain the offer in Vegas because they wanted a pick. He's assuming that because of the Lin trade, that might have changed from the Hawks' side. Not sure if that means Schlenk is willing to do the (terrible) trade without any picks coming our way. I really hope this doesn't happen....

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hawkman said:

The only reason to spend $14M on Lin is to make him  your mentor and starter, IMO.  Having him as a 3rd pg and sometimes small SG never made any sense to me.  So this interest in clearing Dennis off the books is not a surprise at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hawkman said:

This

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

When you look at what the Hawks are going to get for the exits of Horf, Kover, Sap, and Dennis it is downright embarrassing.

There is still a chance that Atlanta will get Cleveland's first round pick, even if it is a small chance.

22 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I doubt they're going to throw him in the fire.  Besides Lin, there are viable alternatives to "start" available at any point in time.  Shii, we could be taking back something like Felton in this swap.  All we need is a warm body to eat minutes so as to not totally kill Young's confidence.

12 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

When you look at what the Hawks are going to get for the exits of Horf, Kover, Sap, and Dennis it is downright embarrassing.

It's only embarrassing if you choose to ignore context and reality.

• Like 1