• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OKC and Atlanta in talks - Dennis and Muscala for Melo - Deal Done (Not Fake News)

JayBirdHawk

6 hours ago, Watchman said:

It might be a good thing if star free agents actually wanted to come here.  That doesn't happen here.  Cap space is meaningless for this team.

Thats pure BS you can gain valuable assets with that cap space thats not FA's.   You can use it to trade to take on a bad contract while gaining a 1st round pick or 2.  you can use it to eat a contract if need be to faclitate a trade to get a much better player as well while not having to give up as much.   Just because we can't get a elite superstar to play here doesn't mean we can't or won't get really good players in FA if we have cap space.  We can still draft very well and get quality players in FA to add to them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if the realistic big name free agents available to Atlanta next summer consists of:

Butler

Thompson

Towns

Porzingis

Middleton

. . . what would be the #1 reason why any of those guys would come to Atlanta?

Follies?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if the realistic big name free agents available to Atlanta next summer consists of:

Butler

Thompson

Towns

Porzingis

Middleton

Trying to answer objectively, it would almost certainly be a similar situation that brought LBJ and Bosh to MIA... two of them intensely wanting to play together, and ATL being perceived as having the best supporting cast of the limited number of teams with the cap space to accommodate two big contracts.

I don't see it happening, either. I think the master plan is naturally more like GSW... draft an All-NBA talent first, then try to build around him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Butler

Thompson

Towns

Porzingis

Middleton

None of these names are realistic but Middleton and he's an overpay. I'll pass 

12 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

When you look at what the Hawks are going to get for the exits of Horf, Kover, Sap, and Dennis it is downright embarrassing.

You can blame GM Bud for losing Horford and Sap for nothing, and for signing Schröder to a negative value contract.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

It's near the top of the least. Especially if you go back over the last 30 years with all the failed trades, the inability to keep players, the poor management, poor ownership and getting little value in trades. Whenever you're always losing or trading key players for little to no value there is a problem somewhere. If you think Schlenk doing a good job... Well, I feel sorry for you.

Schlenk definitely sucks at negotiating trades, but they've luckily only been small trades thus far.

He has, however, already drafted better than any GM in Hawks history.

And, he understands cap management better than the majority of GM's in the league.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, turnermx said:

Not sure about Schlenk’s trades yet but his draft picks look good so far.

All his picks could hit the three in college other than Collins and he is a glass eating athletic freak really, so I very much agree on the quality of his drafting so far. As has already been mentioned by a few it doesn't matter what the FO says, we are definitely following the GSW model with our picks. A lot hinges on Trae but man the assists will rack up this year and will be fun to watch, bumps and bruises along the way no doubt.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

@thecampster, we'll see. I think Schröder allows a different dimension since Westbrook is more conventionally a SG himself.

4 hours ago, parfait said:

You can blame GM Bud for losing Horford and Sap for nothing, and for signing Schröder to a negative value contract

No blame on Horford. All of us in the Hawks universe thought he was ours all along. Had Bud traded him instead, there almost certainly would have been a lot of claim that we gave him up for too little.

Blame on Sap is self-evident according to everything we think we know. So, yes, that's probably why Schlenk is here now, and Bud isn't.

The Schröder signing at the time was loudly applauded here.

And me, I don't see him as a negative value contract on the surface. The only reason he isn't already gone likely is b/c of his criminal charge.

• Like 3

In reference to partners in the works I would think a team like the Clippers who have a PG that just came off micro fracture surgery is possible. Beverley is going to make five million this coming season and then is a free agent. Baby Rivers is gone as their hybrid guard. Pretty good example of a possible destination. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, sturt said:

@thecampster, we'll see. I think Schröder allows a different dimension since Westbrook is more conventionally a SG himself.

No blame on Horford. All of us in the Hawks universe thought he was ours all along. Had Bud traded him instead, there almost certainly would have been a lot of claim that we gave him up for too little.

Blame on Sap is self-evident according to everything we think we know. So, yes, that's probably why Schlenk is here now, and Bud isn't.

The Schröder signing at the time was loudly applauded here.

And me, I don't see him as a negative value contract on the surface. The only reason he isn't already gone likely is b/c of his criminal charge.

Agreed with all of this and funny how it's all GM Bud but not the actual GM Wilcox.

People forget the Horford and Teague for Dwight Howard rumors from Houston or Horford for  Kelly Olynyk and Boston's #27 pick  rumors. P.....ew. Wasn't there also some issue with whoever cap expert they actuslly sent to negotiate with Horford did a bad job (IIRC Ressler said something of thr sort).

Regarding Millsap, anyone remember this from Ressler:

“I make the final decision,” he said.
“If you think Bud makes a final decision on everything that we do, you don’t understand the way the Atlanta Hawks are run. … The president of basketball operations is what I say it is, not what you say it is. (Budenholzer) has the loudest voice, not the final word. There’s a dramatic difference.”

Just saying!!!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

In reference to partners in the works I would think a team like the Clippers who have a PG that just came off micro fracture surgery is possible. Beverley is going to make five million this coming season and then is a free agent. Baby Rivers is gone as their hybrid guard. Pretty good example of a possible destination. 

Except they just drafted a PG who they love.

• Like 3

Knew he could shoot and had to do it a lot in college but don't remember anything else. Only saw him maybe three times and the ball was in his hands pretty much all the time.