• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game Theory Podcast (Sam Veceni): 50 plus minutes of Hawks talk

KB21

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/samuel-vecenie/game-theory-podcast

This was a good discussion about the young prospects that are currently on the Hawks.  I got to the clinic around the 50 minute point of the podcast, so I haven't listened to more.  I don't know if they discuss any potential things the Hawks should look to do in the future or not.  I know that I pretty much agree with most of what they said about the Hawks young prospects.  Take a listen.

• Like 3

Couple things ...

- (begrudging) Thanks to KBToys for posting this.  At this time of year, finding slightly interesting content this time of year isn't easy.

- The first 7-8 minutes are these two nerds talking TV shows and baseball.

- They aren't Dennis fans which becomes clear when they discuss the sMelo trade.  The one guy basically spends his time riding down Dennis.  Then, after he gets that off his chest, admits that Dennis was much better in a lesser role, blah, blah (.. well uh, were you expecting him to start over Westbrook?  Duh)

- On the other hand, they agreed with my take on JAnderson - old, not likely to be much better than what he is right now, etc.

- They think the Jimmer comps for Young are absurd.  He's a better passer and can get separation more than Jimmuh ever was able to.  Need to develop off ball game, not be a disaster on D.

I won't spoil the rest.  I'm not at the free clinic like @KB21.  Hey, don't judge.  He's gotta get that itch checked out. :happy:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Couple things ...

- (begrudging) Thanks to KBToys for posting this.  At this time of year, finding slightly interesting content this time of year isn't easy.

- The first 7-8 minutes are these two nerds talking TV shows and baseball.

- They aren't Dennis fans which becomes clear when they discuss the sMelo trade.  The one guy basically spends his time riding down Dennis.  Then, after he gets that off his chest, admits that Dennis was much better in a lesser role, blah, blah (.. well uh, were you expecting him to start over Westbrook?  Duh)

- On the other hand, they agreed with my take on JAnderson - old, not likely to be much better than what he is right now, etc.

- They think the Jimmer comps for Young are absurd.  He's a better passer and can get separation more than Jimmuh ever was able to.  Need to develop off ball game, not be a disaster on D.

I won't spoil the rest.  I'm not at the free clinic like @KB21.  Hey, don't judge.  He's gotta get that itch checked out. :happy:

I did my time at the free clinic while in residency. 

• Like 1

*They view John Collins as a center, very clearly.  I don't agree with them fully on that.  I think it depends on what they acquire going forward at the center position vs the power forward position.  Both Sam and Cole get stuck on their player archetypes at times, and it clouds their judgement.

*I think they do a little bit of the same on Taurean Prince, and while I agree with them that Taurean shouldn't be in the role he was asked to play late this past season, he's more than just a spot up jump shooter who fits the 3 and D archetype.  He also has to become a lot better on D to fit the D part of that archetype.  

*I agree with Cole on Trae Young having Steve Nash upside, though I do feel like that is the 90th percentile outcome for Trae.  He may very well be a slightly smaller version of Mike Bibby long term as a more likely outcome.

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I did my time at the free clinic while in residency. 

That's one way to put it.  Hope you made a full recovery.

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

*They view John Collins as a center, very clearly.  I don't agree with them fully on that.  I think it depends on what they acquire going forward at the center position vs the power forward position.  Both Sam and Cole get stuck on their player archetypes at times, and it clouds their judgement.

*I think they do a little bit of the same on Taurean Prince, and while I agree with them that Taurean shouldn't be in the role he was asked to play late this past season, he's more than just a spot up jump shooter who fits the 3 and D archetype.  He also has to become a lot better on D to fit the D part of that archetype.  

*I agree with Cole on Trae Young having Steve Nash upside, though I do feel like that is the 90th percentile outcome for Trae.  He may very well be a slightly smaller version of Mike Bibby long term as a more likely outcome.

Now that I'm into the current player stuff, this is getting really annoying.  The Sam guy is super arrogant.

Agree on these dudes having tunnel vision of sorts.

They over-use analytics and get too caught up on what they 'think' a player is (I refuse to say 'archetype').  Like, "Wait, all you are is a 3-n-D guy, stop trying to play-make."

And how is Taurean over-rated (which they both agreed on)?

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

That's one way to put it.  Hope you made a full recovery.

Now that I'm into the current player stuff, this is getting really annoying.  The Sam guy is super arrogant.

Agree on these dudes having tunnel vision of sorts.

They over-use analytics and get too caught up on what they 'think' a player is (I refuse to say 'archetype').  Like, "Wait, all you are is a 3-n-D guy, stop trying to play-make."

And how is Taurean over-rated (which they both agreed on)?

They said he is overrated on defense, not as a player.

Nice find KB. All of their takes were reasonable. I don't get why everyone outside of Atlanta pins Collins as a center though. Even if his perimeter game doesn't develop fully I'd still rather play him at PF and sign a stretch 5 like Myles Turner who could provide more rim protection. I suppose he could flex both positions and we could have a backup like Dedmon available to take on matchups like the Cousins or Embiid's of the league. It'll be a bit difficult to find the right pairing in free agency though considering the lack of available quality bigs any given year.

I really like the suggestion of Zion on this team too. Not with our own pick, but right now I'd take him with the Mavs or the Cavs pick if his stock falls in College. I have no idea what he's gonna do on offense, but I think he could at least work defensively next to guys like Prince and Collins. We have a nice personnel grouping right now, but we really need to figure out a way to utilize our cap space in free agency on the next two years. I know we're not a premiere free agent destination, but we also don't need to be tanking past this year.

The lost me with the Zion stuff.  Kid is 6'7" and almost 300lbs.  Has no offensive game to speak of and plays no defense.  What's to like about this guy other than the dunks?

Give me Nassir Little all day long over Williamson.  Actually, I kinda think that's who we'll end up with.