• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KB21, your boys at Thestepien seem to like Future Atlanta Hawk Zion Williamson

NBASupes

48 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Very limited perimeter skill set.   Loose with his ball handling.  A complete non shooter from outside 5 feet.  

If K plays him as a three, this is an easy HARD pass.  

Completely disagree, even your boys completely disagree with your assessment. You dont know what you are talking about when it comes to Zion. Are you gonna denounce your boys after prasing them for the Marvin Jr hype.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Zion isn't 6-11 though.   He's 6-6, with the athleticism, strength and speed of Lebron.   Coach K will mold him into playing the 3, while also possibly posting him up.

Also, don't put all of your stock in an nbadraft.net player comparison.   This is what they said about John Collins

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/john-collins

In all fairness, Collins tremendously improved. For Collins and Zion, both have questions about NBA position but when you are smart, a hard worker and very talented or in Zion case, extremely talented, you can't fail in the right situation. 

I think Zion has the highest upside in this class. Maybe Barrett is better but Zion can be a two way superstar in the NBA. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Zion isn't 6-11 though.   He's 6-6, with the athleticism, strength and speed of Lebron.   Coach K will mold him into playing the 3, while also possibly posting him up.

Also, don't put all of your stock in an nbadraft.net player comparison.   This is what they said about John Collins

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/john-collins

Granted that Lebron's BBIQ and skills are very impressive and a big part of his success but this is a high standard to meet -- especially on the speed side if Zion doesn't drop some serious weight.

• Moderators
Just now, hazer said:

He’ll also be picking in the 5-9 range, Zion will be off the board.

It is a lottery and a team finishing 5th-9th has a real chance to jump into the top 3, better odds than in years past.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In all fairness, Collins tremendously improved. For Collins and Zion, both have questions about NBA position but when you are smart, a hard worker and very talented or in Zion case, extremely talented, you can't fail in the right situation. 

I think Zion has the highest upside in this class. Maybe Barrett is better but Zion can be a two way superstar in the NBA. 

Collins was a dominant offensive force in college, who always had a decent midrange game.  I will still say that Bud and his offense actually held back Collins a little, because they wanted him to run more pick and roll, than giving him the ball as a scoring option in the post and in the midrange.   Add the fact that Collins is a true 4, and not really a 5, also limited the impact he had on the team last season.

The fact that he immediately showed out in Summer League last year, was an indication that the kid was already super talented.   This year, with his 3 point jumper, he looks even better.

That's why I say that people are crazy if they don't think that Zion can't develop more than what he is right now.  Nobody is challenging that dude in transition on a fast break, similar to how Lebron gets free reign to the basket when he gets going.  He already has good ball handling ability.   His jumper may not be great right now, but it is solid.   

The people coaching him could've easily let him bang on the inside and not develop his perimeter game.  Fortunately for everyone, they didn't.  As you said, Zion has the highest upside in the 2019 class . . and I'll say the lowest floor.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Anyone saying any 18 year old can't improve is crazy.  My guess is people are more saying that you have to evaluate people as you find them and he has some of the most work to do in skill development.  That doesn't mean he can't do it - just means more risk in what he would have to do.

Zion does have a wide range but lowest floor in the entire draft class?  Can't bite on that.

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Granted that Lebron's BBIQ and skills are very impressive and a big part of his success but this is a high standard to meet -- especially on the speed side if Zion doesn't drop some serious weight.

I think the weight doesn't matter, because he's all muscle.  He's the athletic equivalent of Lebron, without his array of skills.  Skill wise, he reminds me of Julius Randle.  But even Randle didn't have the perimeter and ball handling skills at 18, that Zion has.

If this guy is a bust, I'll be highly disappointed.  Like Supes said, he has all the tools to be a very good 2-way player.

If anything, he may injure himself with the way he plays right now.  Injury will be the only thing that stops this kid.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Anyone saying any 18 year old can't improve is crazy.  My guess is people are more saying that you have to evaluate people as you find them and he has some of the most work to do in skill development.  That doesn't mean he can't do it - just means more risk in what he would have to do.

Zion does have a wide range but lowest floor in the entire draft class?  Can't bite on that.

This is surprisingly well-stated.

I do believe though that old mods assuredly cannot improve. :happy:

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think the weight doesn't matter, because he's all muscle.  He's the athletic equivalent of Lebron, without his array of skills.  Skill wise, he reminds me of Julius Randle.  But even Randle didn't have the perimeter and ball handling skills at 18, that Zion has.

If this guy is a bust, I'll be highly disappointed.  Like Supes said, he has all the tools to be a very good 2-way player.

If anything, he may injure himself with the way he plays right now.  Injury will be the only thing that stops this kid.

No, he doesn't.  That's the problem.  What are y'all looking at?  This is madness, Cyde!  I expect it from Supes but not you.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is surprisingly well-stated.

I do believe though that old mods assuredly cannot improve. :happy:

No, he doesn't.  That's the problem.  What are y'all looking at?  This is madness, Cyde!  I expect it from Supes but not you.

Sound like a hater kg01. How does he lack two way potential?

Zion is very much comparable physically to LeBron James coming out of high school when you exchange lesser speed for more strength. His ball handling and smart use of his gifts means he will be at absolute worst a very good role player on a championship caliber team. This idea that he will be a bust is ridiculous. The only way I see that happening is if he suffers major injuries. He’s a much better athlete than Anthony Bennett or Julius Randle which will help against his subpar height and length. 

• Like 1

I'm not giving into the hype of Zion Williamson.  Maybe the problem is all the video's I've seen of him are just dunks.  He may be able to do more than that, but that's all I've seen.   

He very well may develop the skills to be a better player, but I need to see some growth a duke.  If he proves, that he can handle, pass, and shoot.  Then yeah, for sure you take him.  If he can't do all those things, you may be pass on him if the Hawks have the first pick and take RJ or Cam.   

To me, those are the top two prospects in this class.  

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

believer.

Belieber! ? 

Starting last year or a year and a half ago...I’ve loved Zion and I’ve hated him and that points to one thing. He needs to develop his skills but again no denying the physicality and the rest of the tools are present. He needs a Drew Hanlen in his life. But then again everyone and their moms are flocking to use the beach size towel that @kg01 had in the closet of his warm cul de sac ? on Drew Hanlen.... ew

ps Supes and KB toys Zion debate is starting far too early this year. Last year I almost ? from reading their 317 page debate on Marvin Jackson Jr. I don’t know if I can stomach this for 9 months...

49 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm not giving into the hype of Zion Williamson.  Maybe the problem is all the video's I've seen of him are just dunks.  He may be able to do more than that, but that's all I've seen.   

He very well may develop the skills to be a better player, but I need to see some growth a duke.  If he proves, that he can handle, pass, and shoot.  Then yeah, for sure you take him.  If he can't do all those things, you may be pass on him if the Hawks have the first pick and take RJ or Cam.   

To me, those are the top two prospects in this class.  

So how about blocks?

One thing about Zion.  If you don['t like the kid, it wouldn't matter what is shown about his game.  The biggest thing anyone should take from this video, is the effort he shows on defense.

By the way, he's 16 in these videos.

• Like 1