• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KB21, your boys at Thestepien seem to like Future Atlanta Hawk Zion Williamson

NBASupes

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/08/12/early-2019-draft-thoughts-zion-williamson/

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, odds are you’ve come across the name Zion Williamson by now, most likely in the form of a dynamic dunking mixtape. But in the event you haven’t seen him, Williamson is a legit, ready-made, dunk-contest-winning NBA vertical athlete, as you can deduce by the following 360 finish...

Trae, Huerter, Prince, Collins and Zion

Just now, KB21 said:

I haven’t read it yet.  Will they change my mind on him?   Probably not.  

Just say 'no' to zion.

#Don'tFallForTheHype

Meanwhile, @NBASupes and all the Dook boys're all ...

SMDH

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Zion is a beast. You better get on board the the road to Zion

Wake us up when he gets a jumpshot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

He is 6'6 undersized pf.  

I am more enamored with Cam Reddish and RJ Barrett (hate that they are all on Duke).

All this.

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Zion Williamson will be a smallball center in the NBA like Green but with elite athletic ability. His versatility on offense is his calling card

You haven't seen any of that.  You haven't seen any passing or ballhandling which would suggest any ability for him to do that even on the NCAA level, let alone the NBA level.  And I haven't even touched on his (lack of) shooting ability.

You're a duke fan and it's clouding your judgment here.  Don't let this be your next Stauskas/McLemore moment, bro.

• Like 3

• Admin
25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Zion Williamson will be a smallball center in the NBA like Green but with elite athletic ability. His versatility on offense is his calling card

Green is an ELITE defender which allows for him to make up for his lack of size which is 6'7/6'8.  Zion is not known to be a good defender and will get destroyed by the NBA bigs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

All this.

You haven't seen any of that.  You haven't seen any passing or ballhandling which would suggest any ability for him to do that even on the NCAA level, let alone the NBA level.  And I haven't even touched on his (lack of) shooting ability.

You're a duke fan and it's clouding your judgment here.  Don't let this be your next Stauskas/McLemore moment, bro.

I never thought Nik or Ben were stars much less superstars potentially. I looked at them as players with potential to he much better than they were with the Kings. Sadly, that was proven false but if you want to bring them up, bring up the players I was dead on about as well that became elite like Giannis or AD. 

I've seen his passing and ballhandling live. He's legit in both areas. Could be special long term in those areas. At Duke practice, his passing and playmaking has shown up.

Don't hate on the kid, he is a baller. I had my issues out of HS as well but he is going to be a superstar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Green is an ELITE defender which allows for him to make up for his lack of size which is 6'7/6'8.  Zion is not known to be a good defender and will get destroyed by the NBA bigs.

Green is also a NBA veteran. Zion is barely 18 years old 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I never thought Nik or Ben were stars much less superstars potentially. I looked at them as players with potential to he much better than they were with the Kings. Sadly, that was proven false but if you want to bring them up, bring up the players I was dead on about as well that became elite like Giannis or AD. 

I've seen his passing and ballhandling live. He's legit in both areas. Could be special long term in those areas. At Duke practice, his passing and playmaking has shown up.

Don't hate on the kid, he is a baller. I had my issues out of HS as well but he is going to be a superstar.

Ok, I stipulate that you were proven right on Giannis and AD.  I also give you credit for being right about Lebron too.  C'mon, mayne.

On Zion, at best, I only want to see him at the third of our 1sts.  As a developmental guy, not a guy we depend on.

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Larry Johnson 2.0

• Like 2

We've seen some of that offensive versatility. I hate the notion that all he can do is dunk, you can't win state championships with that being your only skill. That being said, I still wouldn't draft him #1 overall, until like you've said he demonstrates he can do more at the college level.

Our first pick wherever it ends up should go towards someone who can play SG in the future. Whether that be Barrett, Reddish, Langford (Little might be pushing it) or whoever rises by the time the draft comes around. Zion would really have to blow things out the water for me to dismiss the other prospects at SG this year. Now, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing us package some other picks to move back up to try and grab Zion or some other skilled big like Doumbouya, Bol Bol or Gafford. There's a lot of names at the moment I can see in a Hawks uniform though. Zion is definitely one of them, but we seriously can't be sure what he is in the NBA.

Zion has been privately asked to be the new mascot for Marachun instant lunch soups...to replace the big cheek boy...

Having said that I’ve been on/off Zion since last year. Love his physicality, don’t love his skill set as of now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Larry Johnson 2.0

As an ardent fan of those early 90's UNLV teams, this is insulting to LJ.

Zion is closer to Anthony Bennett than he is to LJ.  Now, that sounds bad but Bennett was actually pretty good in college before his issues (asthma, fitness, mentally weak) caught up to him.

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

We've seen some of that offensive versatility. I hate the notion that all he can do is dunk, you can't win state championships with that being your only skill.

Uh, in South Carolina, yes the heyul you can.

I won't say all he can do is dunk.  I will say that he's heavy on 'athleticism', light on 'skill'.  That can't be disputed.

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Our first pick wherever it ends up should go towards someone who can play SG in the future. Whether that be Barrett, Reddish, Langford (Little might be pushing it) or whoever rises by the time the draft comes around. Zion would really have to blow things out the water for me to dismiss the other prospects at SG this year. Now, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing us package some other picks to move back up to try and grab Zion or some other skilled big like Doumbouya, Bol Bol or Gafford. There's a lot of names at the moment I can see in a Hawks uniform though. Zion is definitely one of them, but we seriously can't be sure what he is in the NBA.

I don't disagree here although I'd probably amend it to say the pick should be whoever we think can be an alpha in the future, preferably at the 2.  I think Little can be that but, as you suggest, he's more 3+ than 2.  I'm not sure we're at a position where we can pass on him due to positional preferences, assuming we think he can be 'that dude'.