• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jimmy Butler

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Name them.  And don't name the obvious guys.  Name guys who are on Jimmy's talent level .

Lebron

Durant

Kawhi

Anthony Davis

Curry

Giannis

Harden

Westbrook

Embiid

Simmons

Kyrie

Kristaps Porzingis

Damian Lillard

KAT

Donovan Mitchell

Paul George

I would take these guys for the present and future before Jimmy.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We have this discussion every year on this forum though.  It's never the "right player" at the "right time".

The players that people want, are unrealistic, because they normally end up re-signing with their current team.   

- Carmelo wasn't the right one - and old aging Melo, really??

- Demarcus Cousins wasn't the right one - nutter

- Al Jefferson wasn't the right one - a black hole on offense with no defense

- Now Jimmy Butler isn't the right one - I've made my case

The elite level talents have no desire to come here, but the lower All-Star level talent may.  But as long as we keep dismissing any player that goes against "the plan", the more that you are solely dependent on the kids elevating themselves to that next level.  If Trae Young doesn't pan out, and we don't add vets who are capable of being at least the #2 scoring option on this team, this rebuild could be like waiting of those Georgia Peach Pass lanes to be completed.

So if Trae doesn't pan out, Jimmy is gone cause he isn't sticking around if Trae is a bust,  plus Prince and a pick is gone, What then?  Are we better off having had Jimmy for 1 year?  PLUS the loss of assets.

I see you are saying 'get him'  what if he doesn't stay - WHAT THEN?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Name them.  And don't name the obvious guys.  Name guys who are on Jimmy's talent level .

I just realized what you asked for. That was not the original question...Was Jimmy top 10.

Don't relocate the goal post.

Right now, hanging on to what we have is, in my opinion, the best and safest option.  We have some young, bright, talented players and some old NBA players to guide them.  Almost everyone is here because they want to be here.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the brush."  Yet, we would trade two in hand for one?  And, knowing, the one doesn't want to be here and will leave at first opportunity.  Nope.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Right now, hanging on to what we have is, in my opinion, the best and safest option.  We have some young, bright, talented players and some old NBA players to guide them.  Almost everyone is here because they want to be here.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the brush."  Yet, we would trade two in hand for one?  And, knowing, the one doesn't want to be here and will leave at first opportunity.  Nope.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

There is NOBODY on this team that is in the same universe as Butler talent wise.  There are 2 players on out entire roster other teams would want and that is Collins and Young.   

Problem is a lot of you will buy into whomever is thrown on the floor by the Hawks hook, line and sinker.  I want to win and win now but this franchise will still charge the same high prices to get into the game with NBDL players as a NBA champion will charge.

Tanking does not work unless you draft a generational talent.  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

There is NOBODY on this team that is in the same universe as Butler talent wise.  There are 2 players on out entire roster other teams would want and that is Collins and Young.   

Problem is a lot of you will buy into whomever is thrown on the floor by the Hawks hook, line and sinker.  I want to win and win now but this franchise will still charge the same high prices to get into the game with NBDL players as a NBA champion will charge.

This is definitely not true other than the prices being high regardless.  But you can absolutely get in to see the Hawks cheaper than the Warriors.   

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Because we can't sign anyone we want, and no one wants our assets?

So you are Saying Butler doesn't want to resign here but you are willing to give up assets for him to watch him sit out a year like he is threatening to do with Minnesota? :blink:  That doesn't make a lick of sense!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Butler is a proven malcontent at this point in his career. He forced the Bulls to trade him. He told the TWolves he was "all in" to stay there. Now he is forcing his way out of there too. How many franchises does that guy have to blow up before people catch onto his act?

Everyone here knows I got two teams. I just watched one get imploded by this diva. It boggles my mind anyone would want him here on a rebuilding team.

• Like 4

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Yet you will not win championships in this league unless you have a generational talent. Out of the last 40 years, only the 2004 Pistons have won a championship by committee and without a generational talent.

Sixers had Julius

Bad Boy Pistons had Dumars and Thomas

Celtics had Ainge, Bird, McHale, Pierce, Garnett, and Allen

Lakers had Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Magic, Kobe, and Shaq

Rockets had Hakeem and Drexler

Bulls had Jordan and Pippen

Spurs had Duncan and Robinson - Parker and Ginoboli

Mavs had Dirk and Kidd

Heat had Shaq, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh

Cavs had LeBron

Warriors have Curry and Durant

I'd rather spend the next 15 years tanking for a superstar than waste another season on false hope.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Yet you will not win championships in this league unless you have a generational talent. Out of the last 40 years, only the 2004 Pistons have won a championship by committee and without a generational talent.

Sixers had Julius

Bad Boy Pistons had Dumars and Thomas

Celtics had Ainge, Bird, McHale, Pierce, Garnett, and Allen

Lakers had Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Magic, Kobe, and Shaq

Rockets had Hakeem and Drexler

Bulls had Jordan and Pippen

Spurs had Duncan and Robinson - Parker and Ginoboli

Mavs had Dirk and Kidd

Heat had Shaq, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh

Cavs had LeBron

Warriors have Curry and Durant

I'd rather spend the next 15 years tanking for a superstar than waste another season on false hope.

You could go further back. The only two NBA teams ever that won a title without a superstar were those 04 Pistons and late 70's Sonics. I also would rather tank for as long as necessary to get THAT GUY rather than live in a limbo of pointless playoff runs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Look at the names you're listing for pete's sake!!!!

Right argument, wrong dudes mayne!!

I don't like CJ McCollum but he's the type of guy you should be going to bat for with this line of thinking.

All of those names has made an All-NBA team.  Jimmy has made 2 of them in the past 2 years, and 4 All-NBA defensive teams.

It's cool though.  Maybe Baze or Prince will make one of these teams one day.  Maybe an All-Southeast division at least?

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lebron

Durant

Kawhi

Anthony Davis

Curry

Giannis

Harden

Westbrook

Embiid

Simmons

Kyrie

Kristaps Porzingis

Damian Lillard

KAT

Donovan Mitchell

Paul George

I would take these guys for the present and future before Jimmy.

Like I said . . let's take the obvious names out.  We'll focus on these names here.   You're taking these guys over Jimmy?   OK.

I disagree.

Embiid - Yes . . . Simmons - No . .  Kyrie - Yes . . . Porzingis - No . . . Lilliard - No . . . Mitchell - No

Butler is a 2-way player at one of the most coveted positions in the league.    I look at the situation Minnesota was in last season, and the only guys in this list that could've done more for that team than Jimmy, would be a healthy Embiid and a healthy Kyrie.  

But that's just my opinion.  And you are entitled to yours.

• Moderators

I thought the question was: if you are building a team, the way the Hawks are now, who would you take.  I think every gm in the league would choose Embiid, Simmons, Kyrie, Kristaps, or Mitchell over Jimmy if you were just adding one to a team like the Hawks.   If for just age if nothing else.   It's hard to make the case that Jimmy's next 5 years are going to be better than any of those guys.