• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is your realistic expectation from a Hawks draft pick?

HawkItus

Unfortunately I think missing summer league is going to slow Huerters development this season. He has game, but out there with the vets and even the other young guys he is disappearing.

I think he will become a solid pro, but this year he will spend a lot of time in the G-League trying to build confidence.

Omari is going to out-perform him this year I think.

Trae has a lot of haters and detractors out there, that and having the Hawks hate/neglect from the national scene will make it hard for him to achieve certain accolades. I think he will get there someday but it won’t be easy for him to prove himself. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae - All-Star or Hall of Famer

Prince - Good starter / borderline All-Star

Huerter - Solid starter 

Spellman - Solid starter 

Dorsey - Dependable bench player

If these guys don't reach these expectations ( according to where they were drafted ), they were a failure as a draft pick.

This would be the lowest expectations for everyone but Trae.

5 hours ago, hazer said:

Anybody else noticing this looks like a “well coached” team? 

It's too early for me to say that. The Pelicans game was clean, but even in this one our defense was awful for most of the game. I expect Pierce to having growing pains just like the players. 

12 minutes ago, High5 said:

Getting solid starters out of non-lottery picks and a dependable backup out of a 2nd rounder is great. 

For a franchise that has drafted players like Josh Smith, Jeff Teague, Dennis Schröder, and now John Collins outside of the lottery, hopes are a lil bit higher than just solid starter.

Those guys were key starters, fringe All Stars.

13 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

For a franchise that has drafted players like Josh Smith, Jeff Teague, Dennis Schröder, and now John Collins outside of the lottery, hopes are a lil bit higher than just solid starter.

Those 4 picks were made by 4 different GMs. We've also missed on a lot more picks during that stretch. But I think any GM regardless of past drafts would be absolutely thrilled with turning #19, #30, and #41 into two solid starters and a reliable backup. 

What do I expect \ hope for our draft picks?

I will hope that they all live up to the expectations that the Hawks had for them when they took them in the draft.

For the most part, all our current Hawks came here because their offense was good.  We saw, last night, some of the fruits of their thinking.  This team is built to score!  Lloyd Pierce has been going along with the rolling tide of scoring.  He is a defensive minded coach and we can bet that, over time, he will be teaching defense to all these shooters.  And, remember, the officials are stressing the whistle on defensive minded players.  NBA must all adjust to this new stuff.  LP and his crew will work it out.

Dang, we're good!  Hawks will be the best, hottest, 20 win team in the NBA!

:Nique:  - Lin to Len for two!

• Moderators
16 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

For a reference, I always considered Marvin to be a "solid starter".  But because he was picked #2 in the draft, he was routinely looked at as a bust.

Since Trae was picked in the top 5, he almost has to be expected to be an All-Star, regardless of what anyone does behind him.  The only time I'd give a top 5 pick a pass, is if an already stacked team was choosing #5, and needed a solid starter to complete their roster.

I totally agree with your assessment of Marvin.  But I'm saying the fact that Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Danny Granger, etc. were clearly better players and picked after him is relevant.

You can crap on a player for not meeting expectations all you want but if you take the very best player available with your pick, the pick isn't a bust when you assess how the GM did with his draft assets.  It may have just been a weak draft.  That has to be taken into account.

9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Agreed.

Just now, hazer said:

I think Ice Très can eventually (4th year) be a consistent 20/8 All-Star PG

My-Name-Is-Luka might be just as good, but doesn’t have a lottery pick for Mavs attached to him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, High5 said:

Those 4 picks were made by 4 different GMs. We've also missed on a lot more picks during that stretch. But I think any GM regardless of past drafts would be absolutely thrilled with turning #19, #30, and #41 into two solid starters and a reliable backup. 

I think I’m focusing more on Huerter in this debate.

Spellman and Dorsey are both 2nd rounders essentially and any contribution that’s positive is a win from them.

Huerter on the other hand has to produce and be relevant. He and Bembry have to give us a lil more than the later round guys.

• Like 1