• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is your realistic expectation from a Hawks draft pick?

HawkItus

Trae is like a box of chocolates.

Young reminds of Steven Spielberg.

TY is the next Tony Delk.

(In DMX voice)What y'all really want from a draft pick?  Excluding once in a generation talent what do you expect?  Lottery, is it all NBA or bust?  Outside lottery is a functional starter?  For me I look at the player, what he is coming in to, and how the team views him.  For example TY is a must All-star level player eventually to think the pick was worth the trouble.  If he is just serviceable I count it as a miss.   

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Daaang.  Mookie is turning over in his jail cell right now.

Am I the only one that remembers he was in a shoe (I think) commercial?

Mookie is one of my top 5 favorite all time Hawks.  But i think Trae has the potential.  Of course Trae will never be the defender that Mookie was so i guess i'd say he has the potential to be a better offensive pg. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Mookie is one of my top 5 favorite all time Hawks.  But i think Trae has the potential.  Of course Trae will never be the defender that Mookie was so i guess i'd say he has the potential to be a better offensive pg. 

As long as he's serviceable defensively, he'll far exceed Mookie.  Even if he's less than serviceable.  Mookie was aiight.  That he holds such a prominent place among Hawks player lore is a testament to our franchise, if we're being honest.

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Somewhere between Mike Bibby and Steve Nash, All-Star, Top 3 Hawks PG of all time.

Agreed.  A cross between Mike Conley, Bibby and Nash.  Ste-Mike BibCoNash?

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae - All-Star or Hall of Famer

Prince - Good starter / borderline All-Star

Huerter - Solid starter 

Spellman - Solid starter 

Dorsey - Dependable bench player

If these guys don't reach these expectations ( according to where they were drafted ), they were a failure as a draft pick.

These are generally reasonable although I would offer the caveat that any pick is immune from criticism if the people picked after aren't as good even if the guy doesn't hit these types of benchmarks and no pick is immune from criticism if people picked after dramatically outperform that pick.  For example, if Trae turns into a Jason Terry type (I don't think he will) who is a non-All-Star but good player and nobody picked 6 or later in the draft even hits that level of success then that pick is immune from criticism.  Likewise, if Ricky Rubio makes an All-Star team it won't make it less of a disappointment that drafting him meant passing on Steph Curry.

For specific nitpicking, I would say "solid starter" is an aggressive ask for Spellman.  If he turns into a good rotation player, that is a success at his point in the draft, IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

These are generally reasonable although I would offer the caveat that any pick is immune from criticism if the people picked after aren't as good even if the guy doesn't hit these types of benchmarks and no pick is immune from criticism if people picked after dramatically outperform that pick.  For example, if Trae turns into a Jason Terry type (I don't think he will) who is a non-All-Star but good player and nobody picked 6 or later in the draft even hits that level of success then that pick is immune from criticism.  Likewise, if Ricky Rubio makes an All-Star team it won't make it less of a disappointment that drafting him meant passing on Steph Curry.

For specific nitpicking, I would say "solid starter" is an aggressive ask for Spellman.  If he turns into a good rotation player, that is a success at his point in the draft, IMO.

For a reference, I always considered Marvin to be a "solid starter".  But because he was picked #2 in the draft, he was routinely looked at as a bust.

Since Trae was picked in the top 5, he almost has to be expected to be an All-Star, regardless of what anyone does behind him.  The only time I'd give a top 5 pick a pass, is if an already stacked team was choosing #5, and needed a solid starter to complete their roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Cross between Nash and Zeke. Best Hawk point man ever. (Love Mookie too). When it’s all said and done, top 10 Hawk to ever play...possibly 5 or like Hazer said 3! ? 

Easy now, top 3 PG not top 3 player ?