• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will we resign Carter?

bobrathbun4pres

I heard he looks like he's going back to Toronto to end his career but I think it'd be awesome for him to mentor Reddish and the rest of our young guys. I know chances are supposedly slim but I just wanted to hear yalls thoughts on it.

If anybody can get through to Cam it'd be him. If we don't resign him is there any other vet you guys would want to get to help out our guys?

Edit: saw the thread on who youd want to resign just now but this is about him specifically

Edited by bobrathbun4pres
Saw similar thread
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bobrathbun4pres said:

I heard he looks like he's going back to Toronto to end his career but I think it'd be awesome for him to mentor Reddish and the rest of our young guys. I know chances are supposedly slim but I just wanted to hear yalls thoughts on it.

If anybody can get through to Cam it'd be him. If we don't resign him is there any other vet you guys would want to get to help out our guys?

Edit: saw the thread on who youd want to resign just now but this is about him specifically

Since we unloaded Baze because we had too many wings, I don't see the point in it.  Let him go out on a winner.

4 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Since we unloaded Baze because we had too many wings, I don't see the point in it.  Let him go out on a winner.

Mainly played PF for Hawks last year, there's an El-P interview on the intrawebs somewhere he states he considers VC a 4 now. If he can't return home to Toronto and get a chip on his farewell tour, I'd LOVE to have him back to mentor The Huert, Code Reddish, The Hunter, and Cal'Omari one final season before he dunks off into the sunset...

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, hazer said:

Mainly played PF for Hawks last year, there's an El-P interview on the intrawebs somewhere he states he considers VC a 4 now. If he can't return home to Toronto and get a chip on his farewell tour, I'd LOVE to have him back to mentor The Huert, Code Reddish, The Hunter, and Cal'Omari one final season before he dunks off into the sunset...

Same.  If we need to cut another bench warmer to make it happen, so be it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope not. You're not building a team giving meaningful minutes to a 50 year old with nothing to prove. His mentorship is appreciated, but it's not worth a roster spot at this point. Let him finish with a contender

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Cwell said:

I hope not. You're not building a team giving meaningful minutes to a 50 year old with nothing to prove. His mentorship is appreciated, but it's not worth a roster spot at this point. Let him finish with a contender

He can warm bench anywhere.  The question is whether he wants to mentor young people on a team that received him enthusiastically last year or cheer on a contender as the other players try to win.  He won't be making an impact on the floor wherever he goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

He can warm bench anywhere.  The question is whether he wants to mentor young people on a team that received him enthusiastically last year or cheer on a contender as the other players try to win.  He won't be making an impact on the floor wherever he goes.

I'm just not with it man. I'm with Gilbert Arenas 100%, young guys like him never get a chance to show what they can do with old vets like Vince hanging around for no reason. If Mookie Blalock had never gotten hurt, we would never know who Arenas was. If you want to mentor somebody, become a coach. If you're not trying to win a championship, then what are you here for? Go play golf or something

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Cwell said:

I'm just not with it man. I'm with Gilbert Arenas 100%, young guys like him never get a chance to show what they can do with old vets like Vince hanging around for no reason. If Mookie Blalock had never gotten hurt, we would never know who Arenas was. If you want to mentor somebody, become a coach. If you're not trying to win a championship, then what are you here for? Go play golf or something

That's not a comparable situation honestly. Mookie was still a starting caliber PG in GS. Vince hasn't started a game since... damn, who knows...been a long time. Having Vince here won't eat up minutes unless that's part of the conditions for him signing here, as it seemed to be last year. If we are in a situation where Vince will only resign if we assure him he will be getting 15 minutes + a game, then I'm 100% with you. If he is willing to sign on to fill the Elton Brand 12th man role than I'd be all for it, though that seems extremely unlikely... If he wants to just sit on the bench somewhere I think Toronto would make the most sense since he would get the farewell treatment and possibly a ring.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Cwell said:

That comes down to coaching.  Coaches set the minutes and I don't think Vince blocked anybody last year or would this year.  Pierce knows the priority is bringing the youngsters along.

Jeremy Lin ended up being good for Trae and Lin was closer to being a starter than Vince.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

That's not a comparable situation honestly. Mookie was still a starting caliber PG in GS. Vince hasn't started a game since... damn, who knows...been a long time. Having Vince here won't eat up minutes unless that's part of the conditions for him signing here, as it seemed to be last year. If we are in a situation where Vince will only resign if we assure him he will be getting 15 minutes + a game, then I'm 100% with you. If he is willing to sign on to fill the Elton Brand 12th man role than I'd be all for it, though that seems extremely unlikely... If he wants to just sit on the bench somewhere I think Toronto would make the most sense since he would get the farewell treatment and possibly a ring.

Mookie didn't start a single game the 2001-02 season. That was Gilbert's rookie year, so yes it is a comparable situation. 43 years old sitting on the bitch, taking up a roster spot from a young guy that could blossom into something one day is just selfish, he has nothing else to prove. His mentor ship is appreciated but he isn't the only one that can provide mentorship. He damn sure can't teach these kids how to win because he didn't do it himself. I could see if he was still killing, but he's averaged less than 8 points for 5 seasons now on barely 40% shooting, why is he still here?! Hang em up

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

VC was critical for us last year and he was decent. He wasn't playing golf not taking his craft serious. He was and is a leader 

he can do that from a coaching position. 

Edited by Cwell

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, bobrathbun4pres said:

I actually think it'd be awesome for him to go back to Toronto if they resign Leonard.    I would rather see him get a chance at a championship than to see him retire on a middling team.  I love the fact that he said he wouldn't mind coming back to Atl for his last season but it's right for him in Toronto.  Sorta like I wanted Nique to finish here. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Cwell said:

Mookie didn't start a single game the 2001-02 season. That was Gilbert's rookie year, so yes it is a comparable situation. 43 years old sitting on the bitch, taking up a roster spot from a young guy that could blossom into something one day is just selfish, he has nothing else to prove. His mentor ship is appreciated but he isn't the only one that can provide mentorship. He damn sure can't teach these kids how to win because he didn't do it himself. I could see if he was still killing, but he's averaged less than 8 points for 5 seasons now on barely 40% shooting, why is he still here?! Hang em up

he can do that from a coaching position. 

Vince Carter 2018-19 (Per36) 15.2 points on .565% TS%, 5.3 rb, 2.4 ast, 1.2 stl, 0.7 blk, 11.8 PER, 0.70 WS/48. 

He wasn't bad last season.  That scoring efficiency was better than Khris Middleton, for example.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I would love for him to come back as an assistant coach because BBall is in his blood.  But if he has a shot at the chip....  That's the one thing that has alluded him. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I would love for him to come back as an assistant coach because BBall is in his blood.  But if he has a shot at the chip....  That's the one thing that has alluded him. 

I'd just leave it up to him.  I don't know how satisfying it is to win as a tag along.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Vince Carter 2018-19 (Per36) 15.2 points on .565% TS%, 5.3 rb, 2.4 ast, 1.2 stl, 0.7 blk, 11.8 PER, 0.70 WS/48. 

He wasn't bad last season.  That scoring efficiency was better than Khris Middleton, for example.

Man I honestly don't care about none of those advanced stats you keep pulling out. You can throw some turds into a stat machine and it can mold it around and turn into any narrative you want when it comes back out. Is there some upside there? Can he improve on that? no, because he's 43. No reason putting up per 36 stats because he can't play 36 minutes a night......because he's 43. He also can't play back to back games........BECAUSE HE'S 43! He hasn't shot higher than 42% from the field since 2013. That's fine for a young player because they can grow, Vince can't. Unless he's trying to ride coattails for a ring, he's needs to hang it up.

Long story short, he has no business wearing an Atlanta Hawks jersey next season.