• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will we resign Carter?

bobrathbun4pres

• Premium Member

“There is always a place for Vince in terms of that leadership and what he brings,” Pierce said. “Vince, his role this next year wherever he ends up, is not about being the guy. It’s still the same role. It’s being able to show he’s got a little left in the tank. But more importantly when he came here last year it was ‘what do it do, how can I help?’ He understands how he has transitioned into that role.

Schlenk said there could be future roster moves to free up a roster spot. There appears to be a need for another center with just Len and Plumlee at the spot. The Hawks filled a need for another point guard by trading Kent Bazemore for Turner. The move also created minutes on the wing for players like Huerter, Hunter and Reddish.

“We’ll see,” Schlenk said of the whether there would be room for Carter.

Aa the offseason is starting I am convinced that the big we should try to sign for 2-3 years is Christian Wood, he fits perfectly on this team, probably would be much much cheqper than Dedmon and with much upside, 3 years 15 m$ should be enough.

Although we have acquired Evan Turner I would like Hawks to sign a true backup PG, Tyus Jones or Tim Frazier, guys with good enough defense that can also dish and shoot.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So is Cam and Hunter so you're making my point.  Those kind of guys don't need Vince and i agree

You saw Trae being mentored by Lin and Vince last year and having great success.  Your conclusion is that talented players don't need to be mentored by vets on the roster (or perhaps you are implying that we already have enough mentor vets -- it is unclear).  

I'll put Phoenix up as an example to the contrary where they haven't put that emphasis on quality vets and I think it has hurt the development of their youngsters, even when they have gotten picks right and drafted very talented players.  IMO, Schlenk put an emphasis on having these high quality vets last year and it seems to have paid off.  I think that is needed again this year.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, hazer said:

Mainly played PF for Hawks last year, there's an El-P interview on the intrawebs somewhere he states he considers VC a 4 now. If he can't return home to Toronto and get a chip on his farewell tour, I'd LOVE to have him back to mentor The Huert, Code Reddish, The Hunter, and Cal'Omari one final season before he dunks off into the sunset...

Don't get me wrong, I like having Vince on the team, but if we're going to give him 15 minutes of the young guys' time each game, it seems somewhat counterproductive.  As far as him playing PF, the Coach did say that, but VC isn't big enough  to play PF, and he's not a rebounder.

Edited by Watchman

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

You saw Trae being mentored by Lin and Vince last year and having great success.  Your conclusion is that talented players don't need to be mentored by vets on the roster (or perhaps you are implying that we already have enough mentor vets -- it is unclear).  

I'll put Phoenix up as an example to the contrary where they haven't put that emphasis on quality vets and I think it has hurt the development of their youngsters, even when they have gotten picks right and drafted very talented players.  IMO, Schlenk put an emphasis on having these high quality vets last year and it seems to have paid off.  I think that is needed again this year.

That wasn't  my conclusion...I just ageed with another poster who said it

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That wasn't  my conclusion...I just ageed with another poster who said it

Then what is your conclusion?  Do you think the 22 and under players would benefit from veteran leadership or not?

Don't think a set number of minutes needs to be suggested at all. Vince is a player coach which is an advantage for us because he mentors and actually positively affects our on court play whether he is on it or not. Doesn't have to cut into the ten man rotation to help season our youngsters. Last year was a great example though we had to play him in ways not expected, PF in particular.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we re-sign VC.  Hawks have so many very young players and we know how much our young players thought of him last season.  Too many things can go wrong with a bunch of young men.  We need his wisdom in the locker room and on the floor. 

Tis said, "A new broom sweeps clean."  But, remember, "The old broom knows where the dirt is!" 

:smug:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I hope we re-sign VC.  Hawks have so many very young players and we know how much our young players thought of him last season.  Too many things can go wrong with a bunch of young men.  We need his wisdom in the locker room and on the floor. 

Tis said, "A new broom sweeps clean."  But, remember, "The old broom knows where the dirt is!" 

:smug:

VC looks like a much smaller but better option at backup PF than Tractor Spellman at the moment. Yeah I know I am overstating this. Not sure VC has a set position on any team at this point. The vet locker room leadership thing is definitely for real though and in his case just costs pretty much pennies. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

VC looks like a much smaller but better option at backup PF than Tractor Spellman at the moment. Yeah I know I am overstating this. Not sure VC has a set position on any team at this point. The vet locker room leadership thing is definitely for real though and in his case just costs pretty much pennies. 

I just can't believe we didn't sign any front court players or just keep the 2nd round picks and pick more front court players.

• Premium Member

I'm as often wrong as I am right probably, but as it stands today at this moment, I think it's mainly a matter of whether VC will accept fewer minutes and concurrently if he can find another team where more minutes are likely to be available.

He fits.

2019-07-09_0743.png

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I hope he resigns. 

Aside: The word "resigns" must be so confusing to non-English speaking NBA fans, right?

So, I not only hope he re-signs, but that Pierce considers making him an official player-coach. Not sure what the number limit on assistants is, but I know TOR had 7 last season. We only have 5.

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Aside: The word "resigns" must be so confusing to non-English speaking NBA fans, right?

So, I not only hope he re-signs, but that Pierce considers making him an official player-coach. Not sure what the number limit on assistants is, but I know TOR had 7 last season. We only have 5.

Are you a non-english speaking NBA fan?