• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young most deep 3s made in a regular season

JTB

Squawk I’m having a debate with some who don’t believe me that Trae had the most deep 3s made in a regular season but I can’t find the tweet Bob Rathburn tweeted out or the nba.com article of Trae Young that mentioned it.

Does anyone beside me recall reading or hearing this?! ....I may be crazy but I know what I saw!

from what I recall the list was Trae, Curry, Dame. Curry had the highest percentage from deep, Trae had the most made. Anyone...someone...help! I’d love to rub this in some individuals faces!

Edited by JTB

• Moderators
1 hour ago, IheartVolt said:

Wow I never would have guessed he was most efficient from that deep. The things you learn 🙂

They are even with one more miss for Trae and with one more make for Curry given the small sample size.  What is amazing to me is how well Trae shot compared to his overall 3pt%.

Unlike Curry, who shot 44.7% on all other 3pt shots and 31.1% on 30 footers, Trae shot 32.1% on all other 3's and 34.3% from 30 feet out and farther.  So Trae shot better from 30 feet out than on all closer 3's!

(Everyone else on the list also shot much better on closer 3's).

12 hours ago, AHF said:

12 hours ago, AHF said:

12 hours ago, AHF said:
Rk Player Tm G FG FGA FG%
1 Trae Young ATL 36 24 70 .343
2 Stephen Curry GSW 39 19 61 .311
3 Damian Lillard POR 37 15 49 .306
4 James Harden HOU 26 8 32 .250
5 Luka Doncic DAL 26 4 33 .121

In 2018-19, in the regular season, shot distance at least 30 feet, requiring Field Goal Attempts >= 25, sorted by descending 3-Pt Field Goal Pct

http://bkref.com/tiny/BC27h

This shows the actual stats for the full year and is your best source.  It shows not only was Trae the most prolific but that he was the most efficient.  

Also shows, this isn't a great shot for anyone unless it really opens the floor in a way a player's ordinary 3pt shooting doesn't.

Query Results Table
Rk Player Season Tm G FG FGA FG% FGX 3P 3PA 3P% 3PX eFG% Ast'd %Ast'd
1 Trae Young 2018-19 ATL 36 24 70 .343 46 24 70 .343 46 .514 10 .417
2 Stephen Curry 2018-19 GSW 39 19 61 .311 42 19 61 .311 42 .467 11 .579
3 Damian Lillard 2018-19 POR 37 15 49 .306 34 15 49 .306 34 .459 5 .333
4 James Harden 2018-19 HOU 26 8 32 .250 24 8 32 .250 24 .375 2 .250
5 Luka DonÄić 2018-19 DAL 25 4 32 .125 28 4 32 .125 28 .188 2 .500

Data courtesy Basketball-Reference.com.

Right on @AHF very helpful! 

8 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I hate when he shoots those

Get used to it, due to his lack of height and elevation on his jumpshot, those long distance threes are the best chance for him to get consistently clean looks.

He already admitted as much. Long defenders would cause him problems so he learned how to pull up before they could get to him. At least he is proficient at it, could be worse

Curry's percentages are hurt by his willingness to take those last second heaves. He was 1-12 from 40+ feet. Trae was only 0-2. Curry was 18-49 (.367) from 30-39 feet. Trae was 24-68 (.353). Curry was 18-46 (.391) from 30-35 feet. Trae was 22-63 (.349). So Trae has him beat on volume, but Curry is still more accurate on "real" shots. Not bad for a rookie vs. the GOAT shooter, though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, High5 said:

Curry's percentages are hurt by his willingness to take those last second heaves. He was 1-12 from 40+ feet. Trae was only 0-2. Curry was 18-49 (.367) from 30-39 feet. Trae was 24-68 (.353). Curry was 18-46 (.391) from 30-35 feet. Trae was 22-63 (.349). So Trae has him beat on volume, but Curry is still more accurate on "real" shots. Not bad for a rookie vs. the GOAT shooter, though. 

Curry is ridiculous! I mean seriously that man has a gift from God it’s mind blowing!

thanks for pointing this out. Cool to see Trae hanging around.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Get used to it, due to his lack of height and elevation on his jumpshot, those long distance threes are the best chance for him to get consistently clean looks.

He already admitted as much. Long defenders would cause him problems so he learned how to pull up before they could get to him. At least he is proficient at it, could be worse

These are his best shots outside of open 3s which are automatic for him. 

This is why I say he will have to develop movement skills if he wants to advance as a 3pt shooter. 

That said, his 30ft shots are why are offense is so f***ing lethal. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

These are his best shots outside of open 3s which are automatic for him. 

This is why I say he will have to develop movement skills if he wants to advance as a 3pt shooter. 

That said, his 30ft shots are why are offense is so f***ing lethal. 

Once Trae gained confidence and started hitting those shots, the offense took off. Trae was then a threat to either pull up from well beyond the three point line or take his man off the dribble. He had the same 'gravity' he had in college. I was shocked how Dedmon, Vince, Len, Prince, and Baze consistently got wide open looks from three. Defenses were either getting bombarded from the three point line, eaten alive with floaters, or getting  killed with the pick and roll. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hawkman said:

Once Trae gained confidence and started hitting those shots, the offense took off. Trae was then a threat to either pull up from well beyond the three point line or take his man off the dribble. He had the same 'gravity' he had in college. I was shocked how Dedmon, Vince, Len, Prince, and Baze consistently got wide open looks from three. Defenses were either getting bombarded from the three point line, eaten alive with floaters, or getting  killed with the pick and roll. 

I am looking for his player gravity rating. It has to be one of the better ratings in the NBA. There was no doubt that his distance shooting created such an amazing warpage of defenses. It unlocks so many defenses and allows JC and others to feast. Hoping Trae continues to refine his shooting technique and confidence.

• Like 1