• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks star cancels more than $1 million of medical debt in the city

HawkItus

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

giphy.gif

What kind of fuzzy math is this though?

How does $10,000.00 eliminate $1 million plus in debt?

That was my first post in here.  I'm pretty sure Trae is one of a pool of donors.  The $1M is the end result.  The $10k is Trae's part.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

That was my first post in here.  I'm pretty sure Trae is one of a pool of donors.  The $1M is the end result.  The $10k is Trae's part.

They should have an article about me. "Atlanta area man pays $7,000,000,000,000.00 in taxes to the government." The 7 trillion is the end result, 20k is my part.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

giphy.gif

What kind of fuzzy math is this though?

How does $10,000.00 eliminate $1 million plus in debt?

RIP Medical is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit started in 2014 by two former debt collectors that uses donated funds to purchase portfolios of bundled medical debt on the secondary debt market for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I don't want to make this political but I have to say: this is why we need universal health care in our country. The number one reason for bankruptcy for people for many years now in a row is crushing medical debt. 

Don't I know it.  My son was shot in the head during a robbery in February.  His medical bills pre insurance 1 million.  After insurance 300k.  because of out of pocket maximums we paid 10k.  I shudder if we had not have had insurance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

1 minute ago, HawkItus said:

He is ok.  He lost his hearing in one ear and has TBI, but he was blessed and made a full recovery otherwise.  My co-workers helped a bunch and the County's crime victims fund pretty much covered the rest.  Thanks for asking about his well being.

Hate to hear that happened.  Glad things seem to be going as good as can be expected.

I can sympathize albeit on a lighter note.  We just got the bill(s) for having a kid and that crap is ridiculous.  "Daycare" for like 2 days was 5 figures.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• Moderators

Definitely join Sothron in being thankful for HawkItus's son's recovery.  But as a mod I've got to ask people to take the issue of medical care to the politics board before we go off the rails.  People have a variety of perspectives on this issue and frequently very strong opinions.  Don't want that bleeding into the main board but encourage people to discuss it in the right forum.

• Like 1