• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks star cancels more than $1 million of medical debt in the city

HawkItus

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Don't be so cynical, grumpy cat.

If by cynical you mean a factual statement. When you owe millions in taxes every year, you can write off huge sums in the form of charitable donations. When celebrities pretend it's coming right out their pocket, that's very disingenuous.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

mad.gif

Gah, we all already know that.  Why can't you just let us have a nice moment?

Nevermind, I can answer that.  It's 'cause you're a ... grumpy cat.

I forgot, you are only permitted to be cynical and negative about non-Hawks stories and topics, including all non Hawks players and teams. Champion of homerism, carry on!

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I forgot, you are only permitted to be cynical and negative about non-Hawks stories and topics, including all non Hawks players and teams. Champion of homerism, carry on!

I think you're the only one that thinks I'm a homer.

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If by cynical you mean a factual statement. When you owe millions in taxes every year, you can write off huge sums in the form of charitable donations. When celebrities pretend it's coming right out their pocket, that's very disingenuous.

I've been a non-profit fundraising professional for more than 30 years (Children's Healthcare in Atlanta, Boys & Girls Clubs of Atlanta, and Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Reinhardt University, etc.).
When someone makes a donation, they can get a income tax reduction equal to their tax bracket.  For example, someone like Trae, who will be in the highest tax bracket, if he donates $10,000, that will only "cost" him about $6,500.  He still made a donation of $6,500 any way you cut it.  There are other conditions (you can only use charitable deductions up to 50% of your gross income, etc.), but people who donate money, even if part of the motivation is a tax "write-off," are still paying out of their pocket for most of the donation, except in rare, complex situations.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Was thinking that Trae had made a huge donation from the title, but any contribution to helping people who have been through hard times with their health and incurred debt as a result is a kind act of charity.  Sounds like a worthy cause and good act by Trae.  Kudos.

He ain't got that max deal yet.  Hell, Deandre Hunter makes more than Trae does. lol

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's my Point guard 😥

Whether he gets a tax write or deduction - the point is - it's a help to real people in need. I don't think the people whose debts got paid care what he gets out of doing it. They're just happy to not have the debt anymore.

I wonder how I can get on that list,  I got some medical bills.

Aaaaaameeeennnnn! 😂 

when you find out please let me know ! 😆 

• Haha 3