• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kenny Atkinson is now available. Bring him back home Schlenk!

gHost83

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, gHost83 said:

First year always a wash with new coaches. They had no freaking talent on the team and had no cap room and we're still paying Joe Johnson, KG and Pierce.

Second year they acquired DLo and acclimated him to their system slowly.

3rd year, DLo was an all-star and made the playoffs with a bum ass roster.

Year 4 they traded their all-star for one of the best players of all time but coming off a major injury. Kyrie wasn't available for most of this season. Still was a 7 seed b4 Kyrie ended his season for good. 

Listen, all I know is that Kenny got no named dudes to play well in his system. He didn't have much to work with. Here he would have young players to mold with high ceilings. He would get the most out of this roster.

So you are discounting Pierce's 1st year? What is Pierce working with roster wise in year 2???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So you are discounting Pierce's 1st year? What is Pierce working with roster wise in year 2???

What type of offense does Pierce run? Is their any structure to it? How about defensively? This team has zero structure after almost 2 freaking years! Kenny implied a system year 1 and got players to buy into it. At least there was leadership and actual coaching strategy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, gHost83 said:

What type of offense does Pierce run? Is their any structure to it? How about defensively? This team has zero structure after almost 2 freaking years! Kenny implied a system year 1 and got players to buy into it. At least there was leadership and actual coaching strategy - 

How many wins did it get Atkinson in his 1st 2 years?

FTR - Pierce, KG etc were 2 years removed from the team by the time Atkinson took over.

Brook Lopez, Joe Harris, Dinwiddie, Hollis-Jefferson, Levert, Bojan Bogdanovic, Trevor Booker all on the squad in Year 1 - 20 wins.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You know the saying, apple not falling far from tree....Both Bud and Atkinson 'mutually agree to part ways' with their teams. Some coaching tree Bud is producing :hehe:

I wonder if Nets want to fall out of playoffs to keep their pick but Atkinson doesn't, sounds mighty familiar. :spiteful:

No that can’t be it. Sadly no team will catch the Nets. Like it or not, they are gonna be in. 🧁 doesn’t like ball movement with Atkins. Cupcake wants to be the man.

15 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

What type of offense does Pierce run? Is their any structure to it? How about defensively? This team has zero structure after almost 2 freaking years! Kenny implied a system year 1 and got players to buy into it. At least there was leadership and actual coaching strategy!

We run a PnR/ball movement heavy system. The same system we have been running for the last two years. Everything you are saying is bullshit in regards to LP. 

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How many wins did it get Atkinson in his 1st 2 years?

FTR - Pierce, KG etc were 2 years removed from the team by the time Atkinson took over.

Brook Lopez, Joe Harris, Dinwiddie, Hollis-Jefferson, Levert, Bojan Bogdanovic, Trevor Booker all on the squad in Year 1 - 20 wins.

Are you serious? That roster is terrible lol. Nets had no draft picks during the first 2 years. I explained the first year was a wash like all first year coaches. Year 2 is when DLo was acquired. Year 3 is when they balled. 

You might say hey, Pierce is in year 2 also, he should get one more year... My argument would be that there has been no growth with Pierce as a coach. No system. We only run high pick and roll for offense and switch on defense every possession. We just started to play a little zone but that is few and far in-between. Pierce hasn't shown anything that makes me think that he will improve himself.

Atkinson actually draws up plays during timeouts. He actually adjusts the defense in game. Who was Joe Harris, Jefferson, Bojan b4 Atkinson? IJS, as a coach, Atkinson is established and proven he can win with subpar talent. He also is very point guard friendly and his teams rebound. It's what we need and definitely better than what we currently have.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

We run a PnR/ball movement heavy system. The same system we have been running for the last two years. Everything you are saying is bullshit in regards to LP. 

A PnR ball movement offense? It's all high pick and roll! Either that or it's Trae iso. That's not a system that's working. There is no off ball action in this system and it's terrible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Are you serious? That roster is terrible lol. Nets had no draft picks during the first 2 years. I explained the first year was a wash like all first year coaches. Year 2 is when DLo was acquired. Year 3 is when they balled. 

You might say hey, Pierce is in year 2 also, he should get one more year... My argument would be that there has been no growth with Pierce as a coach. No system. We only run high pick and roll for offense and switch on defense every possession. We just started to play a little zone but that is few and far in-between. Pierce hasn't shown anything that makes me think that he will improve himself.

Atkinson actually draws up plays during timeouts. He actually adjusts the defense in game. Who was Joe Harris, Jefferson, Bojan b4 Atkinson? IJS, as a coach, Atkinson is established and proven he can win with subpar talent. He also is very point guard friendly and his teams rebound. It's what we need and definitely better than what we currently have.

They had Brook Lopez and some good role players. Name one vet we had in the last two years as good as Brook Lopez? Name one as good as Bogi. Name one as good as Thad Young? 

1 minute ago, gHost83 said:

A PnR ball movement offense? It's all high pick and roll! Either that or it's Trae iso. That's not a system that's working. There is no off ball action in this system and it's terrible.

We have a strong ball movement system, what the hell are you talking about? Do you watch our games? 

The difference between his team in the first two years was we had young freak talent and they had vets who can play but neither team had any depth and it showed in year 1 & 2 for both teams.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

They had Brook Lopez and some good role players. Name one vet we had in the last two years as good as Brook Lopez? Name one as good as Bogi. Name one as good as Thad Young? 

We have a strong ball movement system, what the hell are you talking about? Do you watch our games? 

Who was Bojan b4 Atkinson? Thad Young is solid but not a world beater nor close to an all-star.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, High5 said:

Nets fans sound like Squawkers when talking about him. "Good for development, bad rotations, no creativity." I'm not sure what advantage he really has over LP except for the whole thing about the grass being greener. 

I was just reading the Nets boards, you are right about the parallels Squawkers complaining about LP....

Disappointing but not surprising. I've been posting about this for the last few weeks. This was the year where Kenny was supposed to earn the trust of our stars and vets. He failed there. Not totally his fault but for the first time, you could see that the team didn't fully buy in. This is a huge loss for our team. 

I agree with getting rid of Kenny. I know he did great at developing players. But I feel like his offensive sets hurt the team. He is better as an assistant coach than a head coach. Or he needs a great Xs and Os guy behind him. Part of it is execution for the players but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of plays they run. The nets have to rely on individual players always to win a game for them. Caris has to have a big night. Or spender. Or Kyrie. Can’t keep doing that. We need ball movement and player movement. 

I thank Kenny for helping these young players learn the game and pushing them. But he’s a developing players coach and not a superstar coach. And next year we need someone to coach superstars.

I think that’s the easy route to take but the reality is..

We aren’t closing out well in games, we don’t defend the PnR well, our identity is missing and perhaps they are differences in how to use certain players. If his voice ran its course within the locker room. That says alot. We still employ 50% of last season’s roster.

I think in today’s NBA you need a coach that less rigid and more open to trying new things.

Kenny stuck with the same 9 man rotation for far too long. Not playing Claxton and Rodi was my biggest problem with him.

• Like 3

Just now, gHost83 said:

Who was Bojan b4 Atkinson? Thad Young is solid but not a world beater nor close to an all-star.

Thad Young was one of the better role players in the NBA. Saying it's not a world beater means nothing, he was an impact guy. He wasn't rocking a negative WAR like Hunter is who's just 21. Come on son, we are an insanely young team. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

My argument would be that there has been no growth with Pierce as a coach. :blanky:

:blanky:...that's just not true!

Wait, wait, wait........so D'Lo becoming an Allstar under Atkinson in his 4th season in the NBA...Atkinso is Great. , but discounting Trae becoming an Allstar in his 2nd year under Pierce. :laugh::laugh:  

Whatever man...have at it!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The difference between his team in the first two years was we had young freak talent and they had vets who can play but neither team had any depth and it showed in year 1 & 2 for both teams.

Strong ball movement offense with no off the ball action. Everyone sits in the corners when Trae has the ball with no one cutting to the basket. We run 2 plays. That elbow wing motion and high pick and roll. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:blanky:...that's just not true!

Wait, wait, wait........so D'Lo becoming an Allstar under Atkinson in his 4th season in the NBA...Atkinso is Great. , but discounting Trae becoming an Allstar in his 2nd year under Pierce. :laugh::laugh:  

Whatever man...have at it!

Trae has the green light. As he should. On any team with Trae having the green light, he would be an all-star. He is a super special talent. That is one of the only good things that Pierce has done.

Atkinson on the other hand, took a guy who was shunned, called a bust and put him in a position to become an all-star. A lot of it was DLos hard work but Atkinson put him in a position to win. 

6 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Strong ball movement offense with no off the ball action. Everyone sits in the corners when Trae has the ball with no one cutting to the basket. We run 2 plays. That elbow wing motion and high pick and roll. 

Yep.  Lots of homers on this board though.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Atkinson actually has a good system both offensively and defensively.  He has maximized what he has been given in Brooklyn.  His teams consistently play above their collective abilities. 

His defensive system cant stop Trae or Cam though. lol

The criticism of Pierce is expecting him to turn water into wine. I agree that if we're not a playoff team next year we need to be asking questions about everybody. But the primary reason we look bad is personnel. We're starting a rookie, 2 sophomores, a 3rd year player and Damien Jones (not an NBA player) half the time. Our bench consists of another 2 rookies, and vets that have done little on the court.

Nobody is winning too many games with the roster we've got. The biggest thing we need is patience, time will help us the most. We can retool in the off-season and hopefully Schlenk will make good additions that can help us moving forward. Our offense has been poor often because of the lack of shooting.

Only Reddish is a shooter coming off the bench. No one else, not Teague or Dedmon since they got here, not Vince, not Bruno, not Jabari, not Bembry, not Graham, Crabbe couldn't shoot for us and we knew Turner was trash. That's the problem there. The majority of the minutes outside the starters goes to garbage shooters who can't make open shots. The system we run is fine. It gives us the most out of Trae and John. Huerter hasn't progressed like we hoped, but coming off the bench next year may help. Hunter maybe a bit lackluster, but he's also shown he can play and hit shots when we need them late. Reddish as we've just seen is a star in the making. It is what it is, this year was a development year.

We've seen Schlenk and Pierce acknowledge things need to change and we need to set our sights on the playoffs now. I expect we'll do something in the off-season to improve the roster. We don't need a lot, just some pieces that contribute. A wing that can defend. A vet that still can contribute. A high draft pick that could help somewhere. It doesn't take a lot to make the playoffs, Pierce is capable of getting us there. But more than anything we need our core to get better, and I'm confident they will.

• Like 4

My first thought was bring him on as a assistant head coach for LP. But now that I have thought about it, I doubt that would work out. To me it would be showing a lack of faith in LP; and it might be to early for that from Schlenk and Ressler's point of view. I do think the Nets are idiots for firing him. Their roster right now is not much better than ours and they have nine more wins.

He is a good coach, I don't doubt that one bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

My first thought was bring him on as a assistant head coach for LP. But now that I have thought about it, I doubt that would work out. To me it would be showing a lack of faith in LP; and it might be to early for that from Schlenk and Ressler's point of view. I do think the Nets are idiots for firing him. Their roster right now is not much better than ours and they have nine more wins.

He is a good coach, I don't doubt that one bit.

Untrue and you know it.

• Like 1