• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kenny Atkinson is now available. Bring him back home Schlenk!

gHost83

The Nets have "mutually" parted ways with Kenny Atkinson. Rumors are that some players wanted him gone (*cough* Kyrie *cough*). All this guy has done is overachieved with his rosters. He can actually coach. I would drop LP in a heartbeat for this guy.

I know he's from the Bud coaching tree but this isn't a step back into the past. He knows how to get the best out of his rosters and has the balls to bench anyone not showing effort. What are your thoughts guys?

• Like 1

I like him but he seemed to be fully on board with acquiring Kyrie and Durant.  I have to seriously question his feel for fit and chemistry.  You can’t just pay company-man lip service to something so outlandish as viewing them as “leaders;” now he looks foolish.

He’s gotten decent defensive metrics out of guys like Dinwiddie, Harris, Kyrie, and LeVert though.  We have to find a coach who can pull something out of Trae because Pierce can’t even get him to raise his arms.

• Like 1

E-Z Pass. Won't work. Our players don't play his style of Basketball. Our best offensive player would struggle in his system. Even for those who dislike LP, he at least runs the right system for our personnel, Kenny doesn't. 

He ran the right system for our previous personnel before TS came.

Kenny's coaching acumen is undeniable but there is no way that you would be able to fully get Young into the idea of not dominating the ball and looking to share the ball consistently instead of trying to dominate the ball to score or pass. And add on looking to run off screens more like a Steph Curry.

Pierce might get fired sometime, but this would be a case of Kenny and trying to return to the Spurs like way with trading Young and probably setting yourself back to 22/23, if not even later at BEST for doing something, or just trying to improve on what you have.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

E-Z Pass. Won't work. Our players don't play his style of Basketball. Our best offensive player would struggle in his system. Even for those who dislike LP, he at least runs the right system for our personnel, Kenny doesn't. 

(Weird day. I don't usually disagree with Supes twice in a row, though I'm sure it's happened.)

I believe our style of play has been dictated by the philosophy of developing players, and that as our players mature and evolve, so does their capacity to play an increasingly more Bud-like offense.

To that point and for example, Trae has had to be high usage in his rookie and sophomore seasons, and the offense has substantially functioned around that premise.

I don't believe that's necessarily going to be a forever proposition in the least. Trae can be more Tony Parker than Allen Iverson... more Steve Nash than James Harden... he's just needed to be given other viable offensive players surrounding him, and those of us running with the bulls instead of the bears think we see that evolution occurring with the addition of Reddish and Hunter.

I don't think the timing is right to make a change, though.

Pierce gets this year, and probably all of next season to prove that not only is this a playoff team, but he's a playoff coach. That's as it should be, imo, in spite of me being the fan of Atkinson that I am.

• Thanks 1

Nets fans sound like Squawkers when talking about him. "Good for development, bad rotations, no creativity." I'm not sure what advantage he really has over LP except for the whole thing about the grass being greener. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I like him but he seemed to be fully on board with acquiring Kyrie and Durant.  I have to seriously question his feel for fit and chemistry.  

I don't know if that's neneccesarily true.... IIRC Durant didn't even meet with Marks before FAcy.

Kevin Durant agreed to sign with the Brooklyn Nets just after free agency began on June 30, 2019. The Nets said they had no knowledge of Durant's decision until the Warriors superstar announced it on Instagram

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/warriors/amp/kd-nets-contract-sean-marks-14102600.php

• Like 4

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, High5 said:

Nets fans sound like Squawkers when talking about him. "Good for development, bad rotations, no creativity." I'm not sure what advantage he really has over LP except for the whole thing about the grass being greener. 

^This. 

• Premium Member

Not many details out now, but apparently Kenny couldn't get a long term commitment from the Nets and was feeling like a lame duck so if the Nets weren't going to commit he wanted out now so that he'd have his pick of the litter for his next landing spot...

This reminds me of David Blatt in Cleveland, he took a job expecting to develop and rebuild the team, then LBJ went home and expectations changed.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not many details out now, but apparently Kenny couldn't get a long term commitment from the Nets and was feeling like a lame duck so if the Nets weren't going to commit he wanted out now so that he'd have his pick of the litter for his next landing spot...

Not that I blame Atkinson for voicing his concerns, but these coaches are starting to become worse than the players. Unless there's active mutiny, as a coach I think you should at least be finishing the season with the team.

Why was DLo able to revive his career in this system then? He dominated the ball as much as anyone.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Kenny's coaching acumen is undeniable but there is no way that you would be able to fully get Young into the idea of not dominating the ball and looking to share the ball consistently instead of trying to dominate the ball to score or pass. And add on looking to run off screens more like a Steph Curry.

Pierce might get fired sometime, but this would be a case of Kenny and trying to return to the Spurs like way with trading Young and probably setting yourself back to 22/23, if not even later at BEST for doing something, or just trying to improve on what you have.

DLo dominated the ball with the Nets. Had the ultimate green light. Why wouldn't Kenny do the same with Trae?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Why was DLo able to revive his career in this system then? He dominated the ball as much as anyone.

D. Lo doesn't really dominate the ball like that unless you referring to fit next to Steph Curry or another high end PG. Guys like Trae and Harden dominate the ball and can't play off of it. 

Mark Jackson.

If things don’t work out with Lloyd and I hope they do, he’s my pick for us.

He’s the perfect coach for Trae. Absolutely fits like any glove 🧤 that’s not worn by O.J. 

I like Jackson as a motivator and mentor. I think he understands “the moment” better than Lloyd.

Hope the Nets get someone $hitty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

He’s the perfect coach for Trae. Absolutely fits like any glove 🧤 that’s not worn by O.J. 

I like Jackson as a motivator and mentor. I think he understands “the moment” better than Lloyd.

LP is only in year two and looked good in year 1. Let's hold our horses on LP. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

EZ Pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1