• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes, but they are doing fine right now. There isn't a perfect way to do this. Staying in the house until a vaccine arrives is not an option.

Healthcare is managing what they're managing right now (I don't think "fine" applies to everywhere) with most of the country shut down. I don't think anyone is suggesting to hide out until there's a vaccine, but it needs to be a slow process. 

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Mike Trout basically saying he doesn't want to live in a hotel without his family for the duration of the season.  This will be interesting as it evolves.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-trout-ml-bs-proposed-plan-for-a-quarantined-season-has-red-flags-191508202.html

That’s what I was talking about yesterday. It will be hard to convince some players to be quarantined away from their families and jump through a bunch of hoops to play a game. 

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

Mike Trout basically saying he doesn't want to live in a hotel without his family for the duration of the season.  This will be interesting as it evolves.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-trout-ml-bs-proposed-plan-for-a-quarantined-season-has-red-flags-191508202.html

It's tough for baseball because they have so many games. NBA is on the doorstep of playoffs, so it's a lot closer to the finish line. But for the MLB players with money, I could see how multiple months in a hotel in Arizona might be a turn off.

• Premium Member

The actual Game day production is the easy part!

It's the preparation before and ongoing.

Here are my questions/thoughts:

Besides testing and isolation for lead up to start and weekly testing....

1. For the Hotel where players will stay: laundry personnel for not only after game day wear and practice jerseys but for players personal items.

2. Food service personnel incl. chefs, servers, dishwashers etc., janitorial staff, hotel maintenance staff, etc,. Will they also have to be part of the 'Bunker'? and will they want to?

3. Will they need onsite Xray/MRI equipment if a player gets injured during a game? Techs to operate the equipment? Or will that player be transported to the nearest hospital? Will they need to be tested and  isolated upon their return limiting their availability to play?

4. How will they manage training and practice for all 30 teams at one central stadium/practice facility? They'd have to include several local gyms to accommodate ongoing daily training? 

5. Will some players want to include their own nutritionists, trainers etc?

6. Transportation to and from Hotel for practices and games, will the bus drivers be bunkering too?

7. How will the schedule of games be played and alloted if everyone is playing in one arena? On any given NBA night we have at least 6 games (sometimes up to 10) played simultaneously in several locations. If you figure a 3 hour time slot per game how many teams can play in any one day? Who gets the TV rights to which games? So if games start at 12:00 noon to 12 Midnight, with even a 2 hour block per game that's 6 games a day. This makes the regular season difficult. The playoffs would be different since it'll be less teams.

So much to do to prepare!

I hope they are able to finish the season, the question is and always has been when is it safe to do so. 

Remember before Gobert tested positive, the NBA was considering the possibility of playing without fans.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

It's tough for baseball because they have so many games. NBA is on the doorstep of playoffs, so it's a lot closer to the finish line. But for the MLB players with money, I could see how multiple months in a hotel in Arizona might be a turn off.

It doesn't have anything to do with length of the season. He's talking about life events:

Drawing specifically from his life, Trout gave the example of the upcoming birth of his first child. He said he wouldn’t miss that, so would he have to quarantine for two weeks afterward?

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Follow up:

Breaking news from @JayGlazer: Los Angeles Rams C Brian Allen is first NFL player to test positive for Covid-19. pic.twitter.com/pkGeD2GHJ2

— FOX Sports: NFL (@NFLonFOX) April 16, 2020

While Allen is now reportedly symptom-free for the most part, he experienced significant symptoms while dealing with the virus.

“I woke up three weeks ago, I couldn’t smell anything,” Allen said, according to Glazer. “I lost all sense of smell, to the point where I had smelling salts here. I cracked them open, put them to my nose and nothing happened.”

Allen reportedly added that he later lost his sense of taste and dealt with periodic sore throats, fatigue, stiffness and headaches over the course of three or four days. He is now expected to be cleared on Thursday, though doctors say it could take as long as eight months to fully regain his sense of smell.

A fourth-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft, Allen became the Rams’ starting center last season.

Rams head coach Sean McVay told Glazer that the Rams’ facilities were all shut down in response to the news and will re-open next week. The Rams’ future stadium treated its first (and second) coronavirus case somewhat differently.

Allen is the first NFL player to be reported to have the coronavirus. New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton remains the most notable figure in the league to test positive, and other employees have tested positive or experienced symptoms.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It doesn't have anything to do with length of the season. He's talking about life events:

Those two things are related, though.  The longer the time period the more life events and more time away from family.  

Good summary of some of the considerations in a "bunker" scenario in the other post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Not to come off too stupid here but are sports really what we should be focusing on right now? I mean, rushing to get baseball going isn't exactly tops on my priority list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Not to come off too stupid here but are sports really what we should be focusing on right now? I mean, rushing to get baseball going isn't exactly tops on my priority list.

Well you might feel that way. Others might not. No one has to watch if they don't want to.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Rams head coach Sean McVay told Glazer that the Rams’ facilities were all shut down in response to the news and will re-open next week. The Rams’ future stadium treated its first (and second) coronavirus case somewhat differently.

Huh?  The Rams facility was open?  I thought they had shut down non essential businesses?  Hawks facilities aren't open.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I don't think it's a priority in of itself, it's more of a hope of a return to 'normal'. The NBA lead the way in closing, everyone followed suit. 

If sports are able to restart it's looked at as a sign of hopefully getting back to 'normal'

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think it's a priority in of itself, it's more of a hope of a return to 'normal'. The NBA lead the way in closing, everyone followed suit. 

If sports are able to restart it's looked at as a sign of hopefully getting back to 'normal'

There will be plenty of grandstanding and virtue signalling from the media when they do return. But bottom line is they play for the fans, the fans want ball. If other non-essential businesses are opening, then sports should be able to as well. 

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Huh?  The Rams facility was open?  I thought they had shut down non essential businesses?  Hawks facilities aren't open.

This happened early in March IIRC.

The player has 'recovered' from the virus.

This leads me to wonder how many other players have tested positive but hasn't been reported. 

• Moderators

This is from a friend of a friend who's a doctor here at Emory.  The actual message is much longer talking about how there is a lot of people in Atlanta being less than diligent with social distancing, but this is straight from what hospitals are doing.  I find myself feeling that things must be getting better but in a lot of places that's not the reality at hospitals.  They still are facing shortages of everything which is the reason we are all staying home.

Emory is asking their Float Pool and PRN nurses to become fulltime employees right now. They are also recruiting nurses from CHOA to get trained at Emory. Why do I tell you that you ask? Because we are preparing for the surge of COVID-19 here in GA (Atlanta).
Yes, we are expecting to run out of staff, hospital beds (why else would they convert the Georgia World Congress Center to a hospital) and ventilators. We are NOT over the hump, guys. Things are not getting better here in GA. They are getting worse. We are expecting our COVID-19 peak around May 1st now.

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Well you might feel that way. Others might not. No one has to watch if they don't want to.

Its not about watch or not watch. Its about safety. There is a freedom issue here. But in my worldview its a right to life which trumps right to liberty which trumps right to happiness.  This reopening of business, though important and should be done as soon as safe, should focus on safe over speed.  Opening too soon will close things down again and start this nonsense over. This isn't about balancing money with safety. The best financial argument is to do it right the first time. Reopen things only when ready so we don't have to repeat this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Its not about watch or not watch. Its about safety. There is a freedom issue here. But in my worldview its a right to life which trumps right to liberty which trumps right to happiness.  This reopening of business, though important and should be done as soon as safe, should focus on safe over speed.  Opening too soon will close things down again and start this nonsense over. This isn't about balancing money with safety. The best financial argument is to do it right the first time. Reopen things only when ready so we don't have to repeat this.

The original models of Covid-19's  fatality rate are probably erroneous. I have discussed this extensively throughout the thread. When all the data is computed and studied in a couple months based on deaths, hospitalizations and serological antibody data, it will show Covid-19 is not nearly as deadly as originally feared. If I'm wrong about that, tar and feather me. But as long as common sense measures are taken, including testing, social distancing and the like, then the risk posed by professional team sports in a controlled setting is extremely low. Certainly lower than going to the grocery store and other ordinary activities, where customers and employees aren't being tested for Covid-19 upon entry. There's caution, theres safeguarding, and then there's irrational paranoia.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

This is from a friend of a friend who's a doctor here at Emory.  The actual message is much longer talking about how there is a lot of people in Atlanta being less than diligent with social distancing, but this is straight from what hospitals are doing.  I find myself feeling that things must be getting better but in a lot of places that's not the reality at hospitals.  They still are facing shortages of everything which is the reason we are all staying home.

That's why this has to be done slowly. Even now with all the caution that is being taken some hospitals are being pushed beyond their limits.