• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

Sadly, this looks like our future.  NBA season is winding down with the playoffs ahead.  Baseball will soon finish their spring training and the regular season is nearly here.

Pro sports depend on the people attending.  This will surely slow down a lot if not completely be shut down. Not only will this be the players and staff.  All the thousands and thousands of other people depending on this for their lifelyhood will be without income.

:brokenheart:

41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You should be as concerned about this virus as you are the influenza virus, but there is a lot of fear mongering and overkill going on with what is being reported about this virus.

Yes, it is a novel virus.  We do not know a lot about it yet.  Coronavirus has been around for years though, and this is a mutated strain of it.  

Elderly patients and those with weakened immune systems are the ones who need to be the most concerned about this virus.

It is likely that there are a lot more people with this virus, but they haven't been seen by a doctor because they haven't had symptoms.  

• Wash your hands like your life depends upon it.
  •  Cough/sneeze into the bend of your arm or your shoulder.
  •  Avoid shaking hands.  Do fist bumps or elbow bumps instead.
  •  If you can avoid meetings with a large amount of people, do so. 
  •  If you feel sick, stay at home.  Hydrate yourself.  I
  •  If you run a fever, call your doctor.  Take Tylenol/Motrin as needed.

EDIT: Also, because I know some will probably need this bit of information.  You don't get it from drinking Corona beer, unless you shared your bottle with someone who was sick.

Also, open your curtains, blinds in your house.  Natural sunlight kills many viruses.  And now this tiny tidbit.

I have allergies and sneeze a few times a day no matter what I take. I was taught many years ago that if I was going to sneeze in public to pull open my shirt and sneeze on my chest. Weird...ya I know but every time I do it someone tells me thank you and comments on how novel a way that is to not sneeze on their food/drink, my hands, etc.  It's pretty much the reason I've taken to wearing undershirts with everything. Maybe that's why Vince wears undershirts with everything now too...hmmmm.........

And now I return you to your regularly scheduled episode of KB21 - Doctor at Large, internet advice you should actually listen to (now streaming).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blunt91 said:

Lebron said he would not play if he showed up and no fans are in the stands.  Also MSNBC is the worst with fear mongering the Corona virus.

Its because of who is in office. If Biden were prez, Fox would be elevating it.  I am really sick of the news in general.  MSNBC's agenda does not jive with mine but I'm honest enough to say.....all news is fake news in some aspect these days.

That said, I like the previously proposed idea of taking advantage of this and offering NBATV for the next 3 months at a discounted price.  Or maybe the NBA could put up sneeze glass like in the NHL and add rules where you can pin someone into the wall like in the old indoor soccer days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Its because of who is in office. If Biden were prez, Fox would be elevating it.  I am really sick of the news in general.  MSNBC's agenda does not jive with mine but I'm honest enough to say.....all news is fake news in some aspect these days.

That said, I like the previously proposed idea of taking advantage of this and offering NBATV for the next 3 months at a discounted price.  Or maybe the NBA could put up sneeze glass like in the NHL and add rules where you can pin someone into the wall like in the old indoor soccer days.

There has always been a degree of bias and spin in the media but I agree it is worse than ever today.  That said, false equivalence can be equally dangerous when some sources of information are just factually inaccurate versus others giving facts with spin.  Throwing your hands up in the air and saying "none of them can be trusted, they are all fake" is very dangerous because people are then turning to sources that are even more biased and more unsound to fill that void.

All of this should certainly be dealt with on the facts.  With things like weather, health conditions, etc. they should be absolutely spin free.  Having to even say that makes me shake my head.

I will also say with respect to the corona virus that you can look to a place like China for how a country that doesn't have to worry about media spin within the country is dealing with the situation.  The media will report whatever the Chinese government wants in that country but they have taken some very significant steps in an effort to curtail and contain this disease.  I don't think that is being driven by politics.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't recall this kind of thing ever being morphed into a political issue until Hurricane Katrina, and the anti-GWB stuff that surfaced.

Is that selective thinking on my part?

Just now, sturt said:

I don't recall this kind of thing ever being morphed into a political issue until Hurricane Katrina, and the anti-GWB stuff that surfaced.

The SARS scare was actually before Katrina.  SARS and MERS are both coronaviruses, and this COVID19 is not nearly as severe as either of those based on factual reports.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sturt said:

I likewise don't remember these types of issues being politicized until recently.  Even with Katrina, I don't remember much in the way of distorting how Katrina would move and hit in the way of politics.  I remember that being about debating the government's response to Katrina, whether it was adequate and, if not, whether the failure to adequately respond had a racial or other political overlay.

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The SARS scare was actually before Katrina.  SARS and MERS are both coronaviruses, and this COVID19 is not nearly as severe as either of those based on factual reports.

My amateur take is that SARS did not spread nearly as easily as COVID19 and reached a population at its peak of way less than has already been reached by COVID19.  Its symptoms were more severe.

Looking at the CDC fact sheet, it appears that a total of 8,098 people became sick with SARS and a little less than 10% died.  The exposure numbers for COVID19 will dwarf that.  COVID19 appears to almost certainly have a significantly lower fatality rate but will result in many more deaths due to the much broader exposure and ease of transmittal.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I likewise don't remember these types of issues being politicized until recently.  Even with Katrina, I don't remember much in the way of distorting how Katrina would move and hit in the way of politics.  I remember that being about debating the government's response to Katrina, whether it was adequate and, if not, whether the failure to adequately respond had a racial or other political overlay.

https://scroll.in/article/830110/cartoons-the-era-of-yellow-journalism-the-fake-news-of-the-19th-century

• Like 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, sturt said:

SARs, Bird Flu.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

SARs, Bird Flu, even Y2K.

Honestly? I don't recall those being politicized at all. There were running jokes, but I don't remember any of those being made into political hammers against anyone in particular.

There was no mistaking, otoh, that feds reaction to Katrina was effectively used by media as a beat-down of the POTUS ahead of the 2006 election.

• Like 1