• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Virus 

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 
(SARS-CoV-2)

Again, coronavirus = severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

• Moderators

All we can deal with are the facts.  Despite truly unprecented action to isolate people and prevent the spread we still have 40,000 Americans dead in 2 months.   We also have no clue whether having antibodies or having had the illness provides protection from the virus.   So it doesn't matter what people's theories or hopes and dreams are.  These are the facts we have right now.  

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

All we can deal with are the facts.  Despite truly unprecented action to isolate people and prevent the spread we still have 40,000 Americans dead in 2 months.   We also have no clue whether having antibodies or having had the illness provides protection from the virus.   So it doesn't matter what people's theories or hopes and dreams are.  These are the facts we have right now.  

Well New York is beginning extensive antibody testing this week, testing thousands per day. It's going to be an eye opener.

• Premium Member

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There's still a lot we don't know.  In South Korea persons already infected and 'cleared' testing positive again.  They are researching if virus is 're-activating' or persons are getting re-infected.

A growing number of recovered COVID-19 patients are relapsing in South Korea, raising new questions and concerns among scientists and health authorities after the country successfully flattened the curve.

By Friday, Korean health authorities had identified 163 patients who tested positive again after a full recovery. The number more than doubled in about a week, up from 74 cases on April 9. Those patients — just over 2% of the country's 7,829 recovered patients — are now back in isolation.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/17/836747242/in-south-korea-a-growing-number-of-covid-19-patients-test-positive-after-recover

There is no such thing as a "COVID-2". When I look that name up on google, this is the first webpage I get...

https://loinc.org/sars-coronavirus-2/

When you see "SARS-Cov-2", the Cov in the middle does NOT stand for COVID, it stands for the c, o, and v that is in coronavirus. This virus is another version that comes out of the SARS family, I'm not sure how hard it is to understand that. Frankly, we're lucky that this version isn't a more contagious early 2000's version. This world would be in total, deep **** if that was what happened.

It is fair to be asking for better antibody testing, but....1, the idea that this is a different version of SARS isn't a lie, and....2, part of the reason for antibody testing is for the ones that may have had mild viral symptoms or maybe even just chest tightness and because of what's going on, there's no idea if what they had is normal or what. It's a legit reason.

Edited by Lurker

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There is no such thing as a "COVID-2". When I look that name up on google, this is the first webpage I get...

https://loinc.org/sars-coronavirus-2/

When you see "SARS-Cov-2", the Cov in the middle does NOT stand for COVID, it stands for the c, o, and v that is in coronavirus. This virus is another version that comes out of the SARS family, I'm not sure how hard it is to understand that. Frankly, we're lucky that this version isn't a more contagious early 2000's version. This world would be in total, deep **** if that was what happened.

It is fair to be asking for better antibody testing, but....1, the idea that this is a different version of SARS isn't a lie, and....2, part of the reason for antibody testing is for the ones that may have had mild viral symptoms or maybe even just chest tightness and because of what's going on, there's no idea if what they had is normal or what. It's a legit reason.

The Abbot antibody test has very high specificity, close to 100%. Tests from China were largely junk, many states and municipalities are having to scrap then. UK wasted millions on bogus Chinese tests. New York is using quality tests. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The Abbot antibody test has very high specificity, close to 100%. Tests from China were largely junk, many states and municipalities are having to scrap then. UK wasted millions on bogus Chinese tests. New York is using quality tests. 

Is there are site that indicates how many persons were tested with the results?

I understand that antibody testing will indicate if you have had Covid-19 and was asymptomatic or recovered but it won't indicate if you now considered immune - is this true?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@MaceCase  Did you get another test after your 'recovery' that said you have tested negative?

Ha!  Too much of a shortage.  Policy, or at least the practice of, has been reaaaally relaxed.  The previous requirement was to have not one but TWO tests taken within a 24 hour period come back negative.  Now it’s just get cleared by a doctor... which I did, over Zoom. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is there are site that indicates how many persons were tested with the results?

I understand that antibody testing will indicate if you have had Covid-19 and was asymptomatic or recovered but it won't indicate if you now considered immune - is this true?

Immunity is a still an unanswered question. There hasn't been a lot of antibody testing yet, it's finally ramping up now. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Testing is key to a ton of things with this situation.  We need available, reliable, widespread testing.  When people ask how we return to normal this is the most important first step.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Testing is key to a ton of things with this situation.  We need available, reliable, widespread testing.  When people ask how we return to normal this is the most important first step.

This deserves several likes

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4731e609d42461dc693e

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It'll be interesting.  These places are allowed to reopen but i wonder how many will.  

All of them that are allowed to re-open, will do so.  It may be restricted opening, but they'll open.

People have no problem risking their lives over money.

The question is . . . if/when the cases and deaths go back up, will they shut it down again?   

I say no.  I say that, like POTUS said, they're going to "ride that sucker out".

With the WTI ( West Texas Intermediate Crude ) oil prices crashing straight through the floor and through the basement today, there will be just that much more pressure on governors to open everything back up.   They have state budget that they have to try to meet.  So they'll open back up.

Sports leagues probably won't do it . . . initially.   But small businesses who need the money, will.  Corporations who are on the edge of bankruptcy, will too.

Memorial Day is in 6 weeks, and those entities that depend on entertainment will be wide open by then . . including Vegas and all of the beaches.  It'll simply be a warning . . . "go to these places at your own risk, due to lack of social distancing".

This virus has exposed how fragile the world's economy is, because it's based off of glutenous consumption.  The minute that slowed down . . just for a month . . everything collapsed like a house of cards.

So if we're opening back up as early as next week, the shift will have to focus on providing the world with as much reliable PPE as possible.  Those who choose to wear it, will have it available.  Those who don't, simply take that risk and possibly die.

It'll be like going to that popular nightclub that has a shooting every 5 - 6 months where someone dies.  Do you keep going, because it's so much fun?  Or do you like to live, and not go to that dangerous ass spot?