• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do we get another 2020 1st (Non-Lotto)

JayBirdHawk

Just now, thecampster said:

Yah I knew you knew I just didn't wanna start Spud on a lets buy 3 picks tirade....dang, too late.

I just think if another person started this $HIT thread they would get hella grief but we lettin it go cuz it’s a girl 👧. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

But that means not resigning Teague to a multiyear to backup 

Liked the post and appreciate the thoughtful response.  

I will say that I think signing Teague to a multiyear deal would be something we would end up regretting.  I'd rather overpay him on a one-year deal (if we return him at all which I'm not sold on doing).  Based on his declining play on the court, I'm not sure we won't need to upgrade over him anyway if we sign him to a multi-year deal.  We can do better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Liked the post and appreciate the thoughtful response.  

I will say that I think signing Teague to a multiyear deal would be something we would end up regretting.  I'd rather overpay him on a one-year deal (if we return him at all which I'm not sold on doing).  Based on his declining play on the court, I'm not sure we won't need to upgrade over him anyway if we sign him to a multi-year deal.  We can do better.

I can't argue that, but that seems to be the current plan. It will be either "sign better" spend our 2020 pick on one of the PG's to back up Trae or sign Teague. All take a cap hit and it'll be about the same. We're going to resign Teague for $5-7 million for 2 years I'm thinking...3rd year option. He can get that or better elsewhere but wants to be here.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I can't argue that, but that seems to be the current plan. It will be either "sign better" spend our 2020 pick on one of the PG's to back up Trae or sign Teague. All take a cap hit and it'll be about the same. We're going to resign Teague for $5-7 million for 2 years I'm thinking...3rd year option. He can get that or better elsewhere but wants to be here.

I'd much rather pay him $10M for a one-year deal and keep the flexibility.  We'll see how it pans out.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, thecampster said:

We are going to have to fill the roster for the upcoming season as well. This presents 2 problems. 1 cap holds. 2 multiyear deals to get people to sign for 20-21. The chance we'll have max salary available in 21-22 is slim.  It's all because of John Collin's salary.

Let's pretend we sign 6 and got 14 from The Pitts...err Boston. Those 2 picks commit $10 million in new salary. Let's also pretend we make the playoffs and draft 16 overall next year. That's another 3.5 million. Assuming John's cap hold of 12 million we're at $72.4 million of committed salary. Assume a cap of $110 million and you have $37.4 million to sign people. But that means not resigning Teague to a multiyear to backup and not signing any vets to this year's roster to 2 year deals.

Same scenario but instead of getting 14 we trade 6. We can absorb that 10 million player with an identical (ish) cap hit.  Say we take on $18 million in salary for 6 instead. The real impact on the $37.4 million is $8 million bringing it down to $29.4 left in cap space (give or take a bit). One more quality player worth 18 million and $29.4 in cap space (known commodities) is way better to me than rolling the dice on 2 players in a college basketball shortened season where we didn't get to see these players perform in the tourneys. I'll take the known commodity and an $8 million hit with a developing core over adding another youngster.

I did say non-lotto. There is a range of salaries between 15-30. I only got to Minny and Dallas at #17 and #18 respectively.

Then there's Philly at #21 and Boston at #26. And again - that player can be GLeague bound for the 1st year. Hawks still need quality depth.

And I'm doing this assuming someone falls like they always do.

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, warcore said:

I think Philly is the most likely given where the pick is and their horrendous situation. 

@JayBirdHawk of the Wolves/Mavs ideas, I'd prefer the Mavs not for the pick, but Delon would be a nice backup for the roster and James Johnson would not be. I personally like the thread! Don't let @Spud2nique get you down!

I'm a FreeBird....nothing here gets me down. :good:

• Like 2

• Premium Member

A better ideal might be to hire either Miami's or Toronto's GM's because they seem to be able to find talent everywhere...G-league, 2nd round, free agency, late 1st round etc.  We seem to only be able to find talent in the 1st round of the draft mostly in the lottery...Why is that?  This is the primary reason we don't have a bench.  Schlenk has not hit on a single 2nd round pick since he has been here.

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

A better ideal might be to hire either Miami's or Toronto's GM's because they seem to be able to find talent everywhere...G-league, 2nd round, free agency, late 1st round etc.  We seem to only be able to find talent in the 1st round of the draft mostly in the lottery...Why is that?  This is the primary reason we don't have a bench.  Schlenk has not hit on a single 2nd round pick since he has been here.

I'm excited about the addition of Capela.  If he is healthy, I think that could be a serious upgrade.

But I do think the team has taken the deliberate approach of only really seeking talent through the draft the last few years so the fact that we haven't had big hits in FA or in trades is partly by design.  That changed for me (not for KB) on the day we acquired Capela.  The team should be looking to win this season not tank so this will be a better judgment of his ability to harvest talent from FA, the shallow pool this year notwithstanding.  

On the second round picks, they are mostly busts.  There are a lot of teams that haven't had a hit in the 2nd round over the last 3 years.  Like Phoenix has had 5 2nd rounders including some near the very top of the round but all of them are busts.  I do think Bruno could end up being a hit for a 2nd rounder as I think he could end up being regular part of our rotation off the bench as he develops (and a contributing part of the rotation qualifies as a hit for me even if not a homerun).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

But that's was the plan for the past two drafts.  Now this is where Schlenk has to earn his keep. He's shown he's a good draft evaluator. We've got our cornerstone and foundation, now let's see him build the guts of the building that leads to winning.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

On the second round picks, they are mostly busts.  There are a lot of teams that haven't had a hit in the 2nd round over the last 3 years.  Like Phoenix has had 5 2nd rounders including some near the very top of the round but all of them are busts.  I do think Bruno could end up being a hit for a 2nd rounder as I think he could end up being regular part of our rotation off the bench as he develops (and a contributing part of the rotation qualifies as a hit for me even if not a homerun).

I am sick of the excuses for this dude!!  He passed on Mitchell Robinson, Devonte's Graham, Bol Bol for no reason!  When are y'all going to hold this guy accountable?  The guy acquired a million 2nd round pick only to sell them or pick good players for other teams.  Hold him accountable instead of making excuses for him!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Now this is where Schlenk has to earn his keep. He's shown he's a good draft evaluator.

Not in the late 1st or 2nd rounds!  And certainly not when it comes to undrafted free agents like Toronto's and Miami's Gms

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Not in the late 1st or 2nd rounds!  And certainly not when it comes to undrafted free agents like Toronto's and Miami's Gms

When you are in the lottery that's your PRIMARY focus, getting your Superstar pick.  When you are in the playoffs and have no 1st rounders, there's a difference. So it's easy to say, they hit on these guys when that's their sole focus.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I am sick of the excuses for this dude!!  He passed on Mitchell Robinson, Devonte's Graham, Bol Bol for no reason!  When are y'all going to hold this guy accountable?  The guy acquired a million 2nd round pick only to sell them or pick good players for other teams.  Hold him accountable instead of making excuses for him!

Guess you wanted to fire every GM that passed on Manu?  He has an outstanding track record on return for our draft picks.  That is a real strength for me even if he passed on some good 2nd round picks after 30 teams passed on them already. 

Like do you want NY's GM instead making your draft picks?  NY nailed it on Mitchell Robinson.  And blew it on their last 3 lottery picks.  (In fairness, probably too early to bury RJ Barrett but I'm not a fan of what I've seen.)  Do you ditch the guy who drafted Trae, JC, Huerter, Cam and Hunter and replace him with the management that nailed it on Robinson?  

I don't even think about it.  Getting first round picks right is hard enough.  The 2nd round is more of a crap shoot, IMO.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When you are in the lottery that's your PRIMARY focus, getting your Superstar pick.  When you are in the playoffs and have no 1st rounders, there's a difference. So it's easy to say, they hit on these guys when that's their sole focus.

What are you talking about?  The Knicks were a lottery team when they drafted Michell Robinson in the 2nd round after we passed on the guy twice to take fatso.  We actually drafted Devonte' Graham for the Hornets in the 2nd round who were a lottery team also.  Some GM's can walk and chew gum at the same time.  Apparently that is not expected of Travis Schlenk

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Every GM passes on good players.   Your darling Raps passed on Sabonis to take Jakob Poltl

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Guess you wanted to fire every GM that passed on Manu?  He has an outstanding track record on return for our draft picks.  That is a real strength for me even if he passed on some good 2nd round picks after 30 teams passed on them already. 

Like do you want NY's GM instead making your draft picks?  NY nailed it on Mitchell Robinson.  And blew it on their last 3 lottery picks.  (In fairness, probably too early to bury RJ Barrett but I'm not a fan of what I've seen.)  Do you ditch the guy who drafted Trae, JC, Huerter, Cam and Hunter and replace him with the management that nailed it on Robinson?  

I don't even think about it.  Getting first round picks right is hard enough.  The 2nd round is more of a crap shoot, IMO.  

So when Schlenk bats 0 percent on 2nd rounders and undrafted free agents, he is still elite.  Ok I get it.  LP syndrome all over again here.