• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do we get another 2020 1st (Non-Lotto)

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, warcore said:

I think Philly is the most likely given where the pick is and their horrendous situation. 

@JayBirdHawk of the Wolves/Mavs ideas, I'd prefer the Mavs not for the pick, but Delon would be a nice backup for the roster and James Johnson would not be. I personally like the thread! Don't let @Spud2nique get you down!

I just think it’s dumb to add another 1st. Like how many young players do we want here? :beee:

7 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I'm thinking we need vets and not youngsters.  We need to go win mode now. 

Thank you ☺️ 

Trae 3rd year

Huerter 3rd year

Cam 2nd year

Hunter 2nd year

Collins 4th year

Bruno 2nd year

Capela 7th year

Dedmon 8th year

6th pick 1st year

Thats our core 9 dudes. We are way young. 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Thank you ☺️ 

Trae 3rd year

Huerter 3rd year

Cam 2nd year

Hunter 2nd year

Collins 4th year

Bruno 2nd year

Capela 7th year

Dedmon 8th year

6th pick 1st year

Thats our core 9 dudes. We are way young. 

Bruno and Dedmon aren't in the core. We need shooters. Dallas got snipers. I know we hope Cam and Hunter are snipers in year 2 but we need more than Kevin and Trae and we need movement ones too. Not the spot up types who can't defend. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bruno and Dedmon aren't in the core. We need shooters. Dallas got snipers. I know we hope Cam and Hunter are snipers in year 2 but we need more than Kevin and Trae and we need movement ones too. Not the spot up types who can't defend

Potential Free Agents who fit that description...

Jordan McRae

Alec Burks

Justin Holiday

Jeff Green

Joe Harris

Marcus Morris

Davis Bertans

Jae Crowder

42 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bruno and Dedmon aren't in the core. We need shooters. Dallas got snipers. I know we hope Cam and Hunter are snipers in year 2 but we need more than Kevin and Trae and we need movement ones too. Not the spot up types who can't defend. 

MY POINT being that we don’t need a 2nd round pick.

47 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We seriously need to reiterate comprehension in this bitch. I say something and you completely talk about something else. It’s just hard to argue with you when I know I can’t win or lose. 

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

We seriously need to reiterate comprehension in this bitch. I say something and you completely talk about something else. It’s just hard to argue with you when I know I can’t win or lose. 

Sometimes when you can't win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you can't win or lose. 

So as requested, I provided a few ways we could garner another 1st round pick this year. Now for  my true feelings.

I like Wiseman. I wanted Wiseman. I really didn't want any other player in this draft except maybe Ball.  Our cap situation isn't going to substantially improve going forward. This year, we have the most cap room we are going to have going forward. In the 2021-22 season, we have options to pick up on 4 rookies and will need to sign John Collins long term. Waiting until next offseason to try and sign our finishing pieces will land us cash short of any substantial improvement.

Another pick this year is even more locked in guaranteed cash we have to spend, further depleting our cap flexibility in following years. I don't want another pick and failing Ball or Wiseman falling to 6 (very unlikely), I am going to make a bold and controversial proposal. We sell the pick we already have.

The Hawks now have somewhere in the neighborhood of $46 million to spend in this year's free agency and that doesn't include resigning Teague. The 6th pick in the draft will bring back 1 star (not superstar) level talent from another team in the salary range of $18 to $28 million per year. The pick itself is going to cost $6.5 million year 1.  The net result of selling the pick as opposed to using our cap space to sign someone is $12 -$22 million. IMHO, if the pick is sold for a mid-level talent, a known commodity, the end result would be far more flexibility and veteran presence than leaving to chance we can sign a free agent. Trading for a talent may even help in signing that other free agent. A frugal move in selling the pick could acquire 1 veteran talent to back up Collins and give the Hawks enough cap space to sign one star on the rise, as well as keeping Teague in house.

So that's my vote. Trade the pick for borderline star talent on a mid-level contract and let our young guys continue to develop as a group. Then in 21-22, use the exclusive rights for Collins to sign him into space above the cap but below the LT.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I agree with  you completely but doesn't the last sentence describe Hardaway and Seth Curry.   I'm ok with one guy who can come in and light it up even if he can't defend.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Dallas is getting excellent play from their role players. Doc probably didnt see it coming. The only one getting major money is THjr, making 17 per. Seth Curry is getting 12 per. Dorian Finney-Smith is only 4 per. Trey Burke is basically playing for free.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Dallas is getting excellent play from their role players. Doc probably didnt see it coming. The only one getting major money is THjr, making 17 per. Seth Curry is getting 12 per. Dorian Finney-Smith is only 4 per. Trey Burke is basically playing for free.

You scared me a minute with Seth Curry making $12 per.  He's making $7.4 this year maxing out at $8.4 mil in year 4 of his contract.

If.  If Atlanta swaps around and ends up with more draft picks, would it be possible to swap all our current draft picks for a favorite draft pick this season or use them to trade for someone we really like?

Just wondering if this is even possible.  And, would we do it??

:smug:

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

How many lottery picks were on the World Champion Toronto Raptors? Zero. Good organizations know how to find smart winning players.

How long did that take?  And who did they trade to get the MVP to take them over the top.  Was it the 9th pick in the 2009 draft?  Who'd they trade to get Marc Gasol?  maybe the 5th pick of the 2011 draft?  

There are many ways to build a team, no one sure fire method.  One thing we know is that lottery talent is involved everytime.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How long did that take?  And who did they trade to get the MVP to take them over the top.  Was it the 9th pick in the 2009 draft?  Who'd they trade to get Marc Gasol?  maybe the 5th pick of the 2011 draft?  

There are many ways to build a team, no one sure fire method.  One thing we know is that lottery talent is involved everytime.  

Still, bad teams pray for lottery luck. Good teams like the Spurs and Raptors know how to find winning players. You gotta start somewhere, but their model of team building is the most efficient and sustainable.