• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Salary Cap Discussions

AHF

• Moderators
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Doh!  Though I'm not sure they said May's was 2 way did they?

I don't think we know for sure yet.  Probably depends on whether they can sign someone they think is a good fit for that 15th spot.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Fixed

John Collins $21,600,000
Danilo Gallinari $20,475,000
Bogdan Bogdanovic $18,000,000
Clint Capela $17,103,448
Delon Wright $8,526,316
Trae Young $8,326,471
De'Andre Hunter $7,775,400
Onyeka Okongwu $6,104,280
Lou Williams $5,000,000
Cam Reddish $4,670,160
Kevin Huerter $4,253,357
Gorgui Dieng $4,000,000
Jalen Johnson $2,659,680
Solomon Hill $1,669,178

Total (14 under contract):   $5,536,000 MLE left. $130,163,290

LT Threshold $136,606,000
Threshold Room $6,442,710

Two way contracts

Skylar Mays $1,489,065
Shariffe Cooper $925,258

Nice, this matches what I have (marginally off).  Been working on this model in excel the past couple of days... the nature of this is pretty manual but I at least put in some assumptions for future cap increases, tax thresholds, etc.  I did make a contract calculator (1st pic) that has actually been useful.  Still need to better understand the exceptions

image.png.e88a394cb8b09d4e29b28a5f27deff57.pngimage.thumb.png.74687e5e54dce8fe5e083081eb32d4d8.png

Edited by JeffS17
Typo

Assuming we don't trade anyone, then in (2022/2023) we'd need a back-up PG (Shariffe?) and a few third string players - and we'd have about $10 million to do that with and still stay under the luxury tax threshold.  

The year after that, we'd lose Bogdanovic and Capela, and we'd have about $12 million to replace them and fill out our third stringers.  

The following few years we've have the same needs, but an additional $7 million or so to help.

Doable, but tricky, to be sure.  

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Assuming we don't trade anyone, then in (2022/2023) we'd need a back-up PG (Shariffe?) and a few third string players - and we'd have about $10 million to do that with and still stay under the luxury tax threshold.  

The year after that, we'd lose Bogdanovic and Capela, and we'd have about $12 million to replace them and fill out our third stringers.  

The following few years we've have the same needs, but an additional $7 million or so to help.

Doable, but tricky, to be sure.  

Yeah, I was trying to look at a situation where we max Hunter and get Cam on 4/88.  No idea what these guys will end up fetching in 2 years, but seeing the pieces is helpful.  Also assuming we retain Heurter on a 4/60... playing with it on paper makes me appreciate Schlenk and how he's built this roster and managed the cap even more than I already did

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not Hawks, but still....

Bookmarked.

Will be extra sweet as we bring the first trophy home to ATL to also boast of how much was spent by others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Whoops, I hadn't worked in the wright trade yet.  Also, I have Capela $1.5M higher than you @thecampster My understanding is because we made the ECF, that becomes a "likely bonus" for this season and must be added to the cap.  Could have that wrong though.

CBAFAQ - http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q74

74. Can incentives be built into a contract? How do they apply to team salary?

"There are three categories of allowable incentives: performance, academic/physical achievement, and extra promotional. The latter two categories are always included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," with only the likely incentives included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. The determination of whether an incentive is likely or not likely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely."

So I'm not 100% sure but lean toward it being Salary but not counted against the cap based on the above FAQ. His team changed and that team did not make the playoffs the previous year, making it a "not likely to be achieved" event. But the team made the playoffs sparking the bonus. Therefore it would not count as team salary in this instance.  His previous team made the playoffs but his current team didn't. He made the playoffs in both years but with separate teams. Per the writing, its a grey area but I would tend to lean it does not count against the team salary.  Feel free to find something that says otherwise. He still gets paid but the bonus doesn't count in the calculation because it was no likely to be achieved in Atlanta per the definition of "did it happen the previous year".

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, thecampster said:

The determination of whether an incentive is likely or not likely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season.

Wouldn't this mean the incentive is "likely" for the 2021-2022 season and count against the cap?  Since we just made the playoffs?

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, marco102 said:

This is a good deal by Travis.  

4  non options years at $98.42 - AAV $24.6MM .   

It will be interesting to compare the % of the cap that his year 1 salary occupies relative to his year 5 salary.  They may not be any different.  As I've said a few times, I don't like the player option but otherwise am fine with this deal.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

It will be interesting to compare the % of the cap that his year 1 salary occupies relative to his year 5 salary.  They may not be any different.  As I've said a few times, I don't like the player option but otherwise am fine with this deal.

Year 1 - 20.4% ($112.4)

Year 2 - 19. 7% (project $119 cap)

For years 3, 4 and 5, I'll assume a $7 mil increase each year.  Just guessing.

Year 3 - 20%

Year 4 -  19.9%

Year 5 - 18.9%

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Year 1 - 20.4% ($112.4)

Year 2 - 19. 7% (project $119 cap)

For years 3, 4 and 5, I'll assume a $7 mil increase each year.  Just guessing.

Year 3 - 20%

Year 4 -  19.9%

Year 5 - 18.9%

I think that is a very realistic way it could play out.  The nice thing about a non-max deal is the cap can rise significantly and these pay rates end up being pretty flat or even decreasing.  That last year being a player option becomes a negative for us in this scenario if Collins just holds his value steady.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Bringing this thread back up since we seem to be discussing more cap issues lately.  Here is a good post from Jay about when Capela can be traded (can't be traded this year) given his extension:

Players who recently signed veteran contract extensions:

In a normal league year, a player who signs a veteran contract extension can’t be dealt for six months if his new deal increases his salary by more than 5% and/or puts him under contract for more than three total years (including his current contract). An extension that meets either of those criteria would exceed the NBA’s extend-and-trade limits.

That six-month window has been reduced slightly for pre-training-camp extensions this season. However, many of the veteran players who have signed extensions exceeding the extend-and-trade limits in 2021/22 still won’t be eligible to be moved before this year’s deadline.

Here are the affected players, along with the dates their trade restrictions lift:

January 6:

January 7:

January 8:

January 25:

January 30:

February 3:

Ineligible to be traded before this season’s February 10 deadline:

• Thanks 2

Hawks have one player who is out for the rest of the season, injured.  I'm sure that insurance will pay some of his salary.  My question:  Is there any way that Atlanta can fix their payroll so that his salary for the remainder of the season does not count?  

:smug:

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Hawks have one player who is out for the rest of the season, injured.  I'm sure that insurance will pay some of his salary.  My question:  Is there any way that Atlanta can fix their payroll so that his salary for the remainder of the season does not count?  

:smug:

Solo counts as $1.64 million against the cap - not much in the grand scheme of things.

• Thanks 1