• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Salary Cap Discussions

AHF

• Moderators

From @sturt

To no one in particular...

It would be valuable for Hawks fans to spend a half hour plugging into an Excel spreadsheet a projected salary chart for 21-22 and for 22-23... that would be enough to provide a truer, more precise picture of how this thing would appear to unfold.

2021-07-07_19-35-18.png

2021-06-11_15-24-21.png

This will help. I've taken the time to look up what each of our current players numbers are for those seasons. Where there are players I've envisioned being added, just substitute your own if you don't like mine.

But do that, and this will all be a whole lot less frustrating because you will have examined it for yourself with actual numbers rather than conjecture based on broad statements.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:12 AM, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

It would be valuable for Hawks fans to spend a half hour plugging into an Excel spreadsheet a projected salary chart for 21-22 and for 22-23... that would be enough to provide a truer, more precise picture of how this thing would appear to unfold.

2021-07-07_19-35-18.png

2021-06-11_15-24-21.png

This will help. I've taken the time to look up what each of our current players numbers are for those seasons. Where there are players I've envisioned being added, just substitute your own if you don't like mine.

But do that, and this will all be a whole lot less frustrating because you will have examined it for yourself with actual numbers rather than conjecture based on broad statements.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Some crayon chewer

Hope you haven't copyrighted that one. B/c I'm borrowing that. I rarely do direct personal insults of any kind ever. But direct insults of large swaths of people sometime make sense, and I know one swath that leaps to mind for which this one will be well-placed.

18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Some crayon chewer

I like sienna, just tastes better! 🤤 

10 minutes ago, sturt said:

and I know one swath that leaps to mind for which this one will be well-placed.

Don’t use it on kg, not cool.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Probably a better use of resources then having to search for posts through threads to rebutt something someone says.

LOL! You see that's how the nonsense starts. Some crayon chewer is gonna think you're serious.

:laugh1: that's a first. Love it.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Hope you haven't copyrighted that one. B/c I'm borrowing that. I rarely do direct personal insults of any kind ever. But direct insults of large swaths of people sometime make sense, and I know one swath that leaps to mind for which this one will be well-placed.

That is a Camp original (though I cannot guarantee its never been said before) and the description of choice for those my Sunday School teachers preferred I didn't use the more appropriate term on.

And quit helping me to destroy the original intent of this thread. AHF worked very hard on the concept and is very proud of the title, format....he should get random stickers with stars on them.  🌟

Edited by thecampster
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

So happy for that link. Thank you @niremetal... I'd not seen the spotrac "manage team" tool yet, and I'm just guessing since it's a beta release, not many others have either.

It's accurate, but it's a little misleading if you just look at the numbers at face value without digging in.

Here's what I find... (apologies to those of you squinting to see on a phone... you really need an actual computer to view, and even then, you'll want to click on the image to enlarge)

2021-07-16_08-55-13.png

1 hour ago, sturt said:

So happy for that link. Thank you @niremetal... I'd not seen the spotrac "manage team" tool yet, and I'm just guessing since it's a beta release, not many others have either.

It's accurate, but it's a little misleading if you just look at the numbers at face value without digging in.

Here's what I find... (apologies to those of you squinting to see on a phone... you really need an actual computer to view, and even then, you'll want to click on the image to enlarge)

2021-07-16_08-55-13.png

• Like 1

Per the Athletic,  https://theathletic.com/2718641/2021/07/20/sports-on-tv-a-rare-saturday-nba-finals-game-brings-a-ratings-anomaly/

The NBA’s current $24 billion set of U.S. TV deals will likely double or triple in the next round of talks with broadcasters.

A doubling or tripling of this deal will add a substantial amount to the salary cap and the Hawks may be able to sign all their core comfortably in the future. 

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Per the Athletic,  https://theathletic.com/2718641/2021/07/20/sports-on-tv-a-rare-saturday-nba-finals-game-brings-a-ratings-anomaly/

A doubling or tripling of this deal will add a substantial amount to the salary cap and the Hawks may be able to sign all their core comfortably in the future. 

How soon will they be able to renegotiate the TV Deals?

6 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

How soon will they be able to renegotiate the TV Deals?

Great question.  

They signed the new TV deal in 2016-2017 season and it expires in 9 years. 

So the ninth year is the 2024 - 2025 season.  

2023 - 2024 is probably when Dre and Cam's new deals will kick in. 

So they may only be in the luxury tax for a couple of seasons. It'll be interesting. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

One would naturally wonder...

If we're talking a tripling of the income, why would I sign a 5 year deal if I'm John Collins?

Or, a 4 year deal if I'm Trae Young (or Kevin Huerter)?

Or, a 3 year deal if I'm Dre or Cam?

Or a 2 year deal if I'm Big OO?

Won't everyone who is at all bullish on his future want a contract that begins with the first dam-burst year, 2025-26?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Great question.  

They signed the new TV deal in 2016-2017 season and it expires in 9 years. 

So the ninth year is the 2024 - 2025 season.  

2023 - 2024 is probably when Dre and Cam's new deals will kick in. 

So they may only be in the luxury tax for a couple of seasons. It'll be interesting. 

Everybody's price gonna jump. Like Bazemore salary ridiculousness. 

I wonder if players will opt for shorter term contracts so they can be free agents when the new deal drops and get that bag.

That would be something to push the Hawks to lock up as many (especially Trae) sooner so their deals going past then will be more reasonable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

One would naturally wonder...

If we're talking a tripling of the income, why would I sign a 5 year deal if I'm John Collins?

Or, a 4 year deal if I'm Trae Young (or Kevin Huerter)?

Or, a 3 year deal if I'm Dre or Cam?

Or a 2 year deal if I'm Big OO?

Won't everyone who is at all bullish on his future want a contract that begins with the first dam-burst year, 2025-26?

I guess the thing is you can have an opt out that year. However, if you wait until the contract naturally expires, you'll receive even more money because the salary cap will increase from the initial year.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

I mentioned the cap increase possibility if revenues are better than expected over the next 2 years due to COVID losses last and this season. 

I think if the TV deal is negotiated and extended prior, the salary cap prior to the date may increase.

• Like 1