• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Salary Cap Discussions

AHF

30 minutes ago, sturt said:

One would naturally wonder...

If we're talking a tripling of the income, why would I sign a 5 year deal if I'm John Collins?

Or, a 4 year deal if I'm Trae Young (or Kevin Huerter)?

Or, a 3 year deal if I'm Dre or Cam?

Or a 2 year deal if I'm Big OO?

Won't everyone who is at all bullish on his future want a contract that begins with the first dam-burst year, 2025-26?

You could value the trade-off of security far more. This is more money than any of these guys have seen and they're in an industry where you're career can drastically change with a random injury or even change in role. Talk of a new TV deal sounds great, but I'll get my money when my time comes. Until then, if you have a contract at a good valuation, I'd say you take it, and then put yourself in position for more money down the line.

Assuming JC gets some ridiculous offer that makes no sense. Promise to match and do a SnT for TPE and a future 1st. Otherwise, keep him if the cost is reasonable. 

Target P.J. Tucker or if Portland is rebuilding, target Robert Covington for a 1st and OKC 1st. Use TPE money for Marvin Bagley III for free. Bagley is expiring so he's a trial guy to see if we can use him if Gallo leaves in 2022 which is highly likely due to salary cap. 

Trade Dunn for Jarrett Culver, both are expiring contracts since no one is going to opt into Culver 4th year. The issue is Dunn doesn't fit our offensive style for a PG who has to create everything for others, that's not him nor is he a PDS offensive guard so he doesn't fit. Culver can PD but is a terrible shooter who needs a setup. I always looked at him like a lesser Bazemore with higher BBIQ and better defense. Both are min salary guys for now but we don't have mins at PG likely and we do on the wings due to our injury prone tendencies.

Draft BPA

Resign Solo

Sign one of Mays or Knight to multi year non guaranteed deals. One will have to take a two way deal.

A decision to keep or cut Bruno,  likely cut or traded and then cut. 

Sign McConnell to a full MLE deal for three seasons. If not possible to upgrade, resign Lou Will. 

Trae/McConnell 

Bogi/Kevin/Mays*

Hunter/Reddish/Solo/Culver

Covington/Gallo/Bagley III/Knight*

Capela/Okongwu 

1 - BPA (20th overall)

2 - Two way contracts 

• Premium Member
On 7/21/2021 at 4:45 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I mentioned the cap increase possibility if revenues are better than expected over the next 2 years due to COVID losses last and this season. 

I think if the TV deal is negotiated and extended prior, the salary cap prior to the date may increase.

No Revenue this year as expected, but lower than expected losses this year is good news all around which may have a greater effect on the 2022-23 projected cap figures.

Also mentioned: revenue losses weren't as bad as projected. Teams are willing to spend.

• Like 3

Post Draft Hawks Cap situation

Okay, what we have and I included JJ's salary as he will sign to the rookie salary scale at slot 20.

Rostered players

Danilo Gallinari $20,475,000
Bogdan Bogdanovic $18,000,000
Clint Capela $17,103,448
De'Andre Hunter $7,775,400
Trae Young $8,326,471
Onyeka Okongwu $6,104,280
Kris Dunn $5,005,350
Cam Reddish $4,670,160
Kevin Huerter $4,253,357
Jalen Johnson - Hawks 2021 First Round Pick $2,659,680
Bruno Fernando $1,782,621

$96,155,767

Technically 11 players under contract.

Holds

Tony Snell $18,267,857
Lou Williams $15,200,000
John Collins $12,411,906
Brandon Goodwin $2,116,290
Solomon Hill $1,669,193
Nathan Knight $1,489,065
Skylar Mays $1,489,065

Total

$52,643,376
Exceptions   
Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception $9,535,000
Bi-Annual Exception

$3,303,327

Note: We only qualify for both exceptions once we officially sign someone to go over the cap but not into the LT.

Projected Signings: 

Collins $25,000,000 2021 (I'm just guessing here).

Cooper $925k (rookie minimum).

Skylar Mays $925k (rookie minimum).

Nathan Knight $925k (rookie minimum).  (note: 2 of these 3 will be on 2 way contracts).

This brings the total under contract to 13 + 2 two ways. There are 2 slots left.

This gives the Hawks 1 player to take the NTMLE and 1 to take the BAE.

Notes:

Collins' cap hold of 12 million and the cap holds of Knight, Mays is a total cap hold of $15.4 million. with Atlanta's current salaries, that's $111.6 million. The projected Cap is $112.4.  There is very little incentive (barring a trade) to not resign Knight and Mays and just sign Collins early. As long as those 3 exceptions exist, we are limited to effectively 1 vet level minimum contract before breaking the cap barrier. Waiving both Mays and Knight gives us a little less than $5 million in practical cap space. There are no games to play here without a trade to clear up cap space or Collins signing elsewhere.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Post Draft Hawks Cap situation

Okay, what we have and I included JJ's salary as he will sign to the rookie salary scale at slot 20.

Rostered players

Danilo Gallinari $20,475,000
Bogdan Bogdanovic $18,000,000
Clint Capela $17,103,448
De'Andre Hunter $7,775,400
Trae Young $8,326,471
Onyeka Okongwu $6,104,280
Kris Dunn $5,005,350
Cam Reddish $4,670,160
Kevin Huerter $4,253,357
Jalen Johnson - Hawks 2021 First Round Pick $2,659,680
Bruno Fernando $1,782,621

$96,155,767

Technically 11 players under contract.

Holds

Tony Snell $18,267,857
Lou Williams $15,200,000
John Collins $12,411,906
Brandon Goodwin $2,116,290
Solomon Hill $1,669,193
Nathan Knight $1,489,065
Skylar Mays $1,489,065

Total

$52,643,376
Exceptions   
Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception $9,535,000
Bi-Annual Exception

$3,303,327

Note: We only qualify for both exceptions once we officially sign someone to go over the cap but not into the LT.

Projected Signings: 

Collins $25,000,000 2021 (I'm just guessing here).

Cooper $925k (rookie minimum).

Skylar Mays $925k (rookie minimum).

Nathan Knight $925k (rookie minimum).  (note: 2 of these 3 will be on 2 way contracts).

This brings the total under contract to 13 + 2 two ways. There are 2 slots left.

This gives the Hawks 1 player to take the NTMLE and 1 to take the BAE.

Notes:

Collins' cap hold of 12 million and the cap holds of Knight, Mays is a total cap hold of $15.4 million. with Atlanta's current salaries, that's $111.6 million. The projected Cap is $112.4.  There is very little incentive (barring a trade) to not resign Knight and Mays and just sign Collins early. As long as those 3 exceptions exist, we are limited to effectively 1 vet level minimum contract before breaking the cap barrier. Waiving both Mays and Knight gives us a little less than $5 million in practical cap space. There are no games to play here without a trade to clear up cap space or Collins signing elsewhere.

To clarify, trading away Dunn and Bruno without taking a contract back would open up just under $7M more in cap space, correct? But then you have to add back 1 minimum cap charge as a place holder on the cap. 

So we could technically free up a little over $6M in cap space to sign someone before going over the cap I think? 

Edited by RandomFan

8 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

To clarify, trading away Dunn and Bruno without taking a contract back would open up just under $7M more in cap space, correct? But then you have to add back 1 minimum cap charge as a place holder on the cap. 

So we could technically free up a little over $6M in cap space to sign someone before going over the cap I think? 

as long as you have Knight and Mays as holds, they are those min cap holds.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Waiving both Mays and Knight gives us a little less than $5 million in practical cap space.

This is consistent with the $4.5m indicated in an earlier post.

If we like someone that we can get with that amount, it's important to note that there's nothing to keep us from re-signing one or both to either a two-way or a standard contract. Remember, even if we signed both to standard contracts, b/c they are minimum contracts, we can do that w/o any problem with our payroll.

Annnnnnnnnnd what do I know, right?.... but I think it's plausible you can get your 1/2 season CC backup with that $4.5m.

That said... optimal will probably be to send out Dunn and Bruno (~7m) and take back a contract that's in the $11.5 range ($4.5m + $7m).

Suspicious that that was the premise of the Utah deal that Supes believed was being contemplated... and we'd just take back Favors.

12 minutes ago, sturt said:

This is consistent with the $4.5m indicated in an earlier post.

If we like someone that we can get with that amount, it's important to note that there's nothing to keep us from re-signing one or both to either a two-way or a standard contract. Remember, even if we signed both to standard contracts, b/c they are minimum contracts, we can do that w/o any problem with our payroll.

Annnnnnnnnnd what do I know, right?.... but I think it's plausible you can get your 1/2 season CC backup with that $4.5m.

That said... optimal will probably be to send out Dunn and Bruno (~7m) and take back a contract that's in the $11.5 range ($4.5m + $7m).

Suspicious that that was the premise of the Utah deal that Supes believed was being contemplated... and we'd just take back Favors.

Or you sign into space first a 4.5 million player, which takes you over the cap, then trade the 2 salaries worth 7 million for 8.75 million in salary, then use the 9 million NT-MLE on that center/extra player.

Just now, thecampster said:

Or you sign into space first a 4.5 million player, which takes you over the cap, then trade the 2 salaries worth 7 million for 8.75 million in salary, then use the 9 million NT-MLE on that center/extra player.

Then you sign JC to his deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae/Lou Will/Coop

Bogi/Kevin/Mays

Hunter/Reddish/Solo

JC/Gallo/JJ/Knight*

Capela/Okongwu/Tristian

Knight will likely be on another two way contract. 

Mays will likely be converted.

In looking at this roster, I'd want us to pick up an extra wing shooter in free agency and let Solo walk. Or make Mays another 2-way., get another shooter, and resign Solo.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The biggest benefit to this deal is acquiring a need player without using either exception.

...and we can turn around and trade Thompson for a player with a higher salary $11.6 mil if my math is correct.

• Like 2