• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Salary Cap Discussions

AHF

3 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I credit Jason Walker for that. I've even got a quick & dirty trade checker in my spreadsheet. 🙂

That is going back quite a ways.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:42 AM, LongTimeFan said:

So ...  can we trade Kris Dunn and Bruno for AD and LeBron?  

Dude you were so close to nailing this 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, RandomFan said:

$1,669,178 - this is the flat amount vet minimum contracts count on the cap. 

Credit to Random for learning me somethin....

So, here's the slightly corrected version... Tony should be able to afford the jumbo eggs and not just the large ones at Kroger's as a result....

2021-07-31_07-41-53.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, RandomFan said:

We obviously want to try and stay under that number, but I'm not sure it will be possible this year. Not if we want to spend the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception of $9.536M on a Center.

I think we should try to avoid the Tax this year, because as soon a Trae's contract kicks in we're there, don't want to be in repeater Tax already, but as @thecampster pointed out, it's about the year end salary.

Good call on the vet min amount counted against the cap.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

What I will say is I'm thrilled to have people on the board that know this well enough to check me when I'm wrong, and have an interest. Most NBA message boards are full of people that don't even realize this is a financial game as much as its a talent game. Our board is light years ahead of most fan boards.

The cap stuff use to fustrate me, so I took @atlhawkfantic 'crash course'. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Happy for fanatic if that means he's found there's more to life than being quite that deep into NBA numbers. But selfishly, yeah, I've mainly enjoyed following his deep dive journeys, and wish for more. Think he may have just been too high strung, though, to endure it. Really seemed to stress him out to find someone ever questioning his stuff or find someone who just made some error in understanding. I speak from experience...  hehe.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Correcting my thinking... Keith Smith in his podcast today reminded us that the reason free agency doesn't start immediately is that the bean counters need a few days to determine for a fact what the thresholds for the new league year are precisely to be.

So, not tonight, not tomorrow morning, and probably not until later in the week.

Bump with reminders on dates. Today is August 2. Negotiations can begin tonight at 6 PM our time (ET). Expect to start hearing legit rumors after that time.

August 2

August 3:

• Official start of the 2021/22 NBA league year.
  • Moratorium period begins.
  • Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
  • Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
  • Teams can begin exercising the third- or fourth-year team options for 2022/23 on rookie scale contracts.

August 6

• Moratorium period ends (11:01am CT)
  • Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades (11:01am CT).
  • The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.

August 8-17

• Las Vegas Summer League (link).
  • Thanks 2