• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I watched Detroit play BoSTON THE other day.  They are a gritty team.  Detroit is the type of team that we can't take for an easy win... they will come to play.  They play tight defense and they run plays.   IF they had more talent, they could be dangerous. 

WEST VS EAST

Standings East - 10th place - Us - 29-31

West - 10 place - tied (2 teams) - 25-36

Also I noticed that, in the past 10 games, Atlanta has a better record than the 2 teams above them.  Sometimes we forget to look at the big picture.  We only think of the latest loss.

After the last loss, falling behind 10-0 to open the game and missing bunches of free throws, the Hawks came out slowly, then exploded for the final three quarters.  Which team is the true Hawk team?

Our one glaring problem.  If we solve this, we are dangerous.  When Atlanta can get their shots to fall, no one can stop them.  When the shots refuse to go in, any NBA team can beat them.

🥰

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’d rather have Kevin Pangos. :sarcastic:

Was just thinking about him... had just returned to play for CSKA in Moscow, and now this... talk about a year not working out quite the way you'd planned. Yikes. But at least he got and took a real shot at NBA, which might not be more than Spud will ever get, but is definitely more than I will. :sarcastic_blum:

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

The new 'it' fella is Alize Johnson.

Legit comparison... I mean in terms of viewing both as 3rd stringers with some potential to earn a rotation slot.

Pangos' NBA longevity, I thought, would pivot on whether he proved to be too much of a defensive liability. In five seasons and 200+ games overseas, he's a lifetime 41% shooter from the arc... just 25% in CLE, though. I have no explanation for that.

Johnson's just been unfortunately pigeon-holed, imo, b/c NBA teams recognize he's a rebounding demon. They ignore a lot of G-League tape that show he's a pretty decent point forward when cast in that role. Truth be told ATL isn't likely a place where he'd get much of a chance because I anticipate the head coach is just going to have a playoff-like rotation habit the rest of the way... but it's easy for me to envision Alize being an unexpectedly valuable asset were the chance to be given to him.

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Stop modifying the question.. lol

I was just posting a link about CC...

Not bashing him...

Nobody asked me but considering Trae is a starter and Clint is a starter, their minutes overlap a lot, and it has been reported ad nauseum that our defense with Trae is pretty trash, so that would explain the question with Clint.

I will say, Clint did a much better job last year of cleaning up other people's mistakes. This season he has been a step late to help or recover to his man. I think guys are making the same amount of mistakes, but the eraser has been less effective this time around.

That's my 2 cents

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

So a lot of teams don’t feel like if they had more talent they could be dangerous? :indifferent:

ok…

You're really good at that taking one part of a statement.... thing.

Anyway. 

A team like Sacramento knows that it can get more talent and still won't win.   Hell, they just had Haliburton.   The same is true for Orlando and OKC.   Their being in the lottery is just customary.   Something to do.  They'll be back next year.  They don't have the culture of winning... 

However, I didn't say that Detroit feels like they needed talent.  I said I believe that if they had more talent.   The fact that they're not tanking means that they believe that they are good now. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Nobody asked me but considering Trae is a starter and Clint is a starter, their minutes overlap a lot, and it has been reported ad nauseum that our defense with Trae is pretty trash, so that would explain the question with Clint.

I will say, Clint did a much better job last year of cleaning up other people's mistakes. This season he has been a step late to help or recover to his man. I think guys are making the same amount of mistakes, but the eraser has been less effective this time around.

That's my 2 cents

Actually, I think guys are making more mistakes than last year.  Hunter's defense wasn't this bad last year.   Dudes are just going directly into the lane on us.   Why because Kev can't hold his man.  Hunter can't hold his man.  Trae is not going to step into the lane too many more times... and it all pulls Clint out of position.  OO plays mostly on the second team.  He has a very good on ball defender in Delon... and Bogi plays like he gives a little bit of a damn... and this year Gallo has been playing like it's a contract year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Actually, I think guys are making more mistakes than last year.  Hunter's defense wasn't this bad last year.   Dudes are just going directly into the lane on us.   Why because Kev can't hold his man.  Hunter can't hold his man.  Trae is not going to step into the lane too many more times... and it all pulls Clint out of position.  OO plays mostly on the second team.  He has a very good on ball defender in Delon... and Bogi plays like he gives a little bit of a damn... and this year Gallo has been playing like it's a contract year. 

This is probably true. I mean, we are consistently getting scorched from deep, but at the same time teams that choose to attack the paint get little resistance as well. It's usually one or the other, the fact is the perimeter defenders are typically out of sorts.