• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Your go to betting stat.

thecampster

Its really a terrible small sample stat but I love tracking the team +/- as the season progresses. Its always served me well when trying to figure out who will win in the playoffs. Its not exact, but its a really good indicator of a strong team. Specifically Atlanta's team +/- was near the tops in the league the last 25 games of the season last year.  Below is how teams stack up after the first 3 or 4 games. I like tracking this and as you can see, Atlanta is currently 3rd behind Miami, Utah.  Its hard to account for the toll injuries take on a season in wins/losses but this stat rounds that out for me.  What is your go to betting stat that helps you decide your picks pregame?

image.thumb.png.739fdde101c636e0051d20fdaccbea84.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What you're pointing out is point differential which is not the same thing as +-. I mean I guess you can call it team +- but usually when you talk about +- is when you are evaluating a specific player's impact on point differential or specific lineups. Point differential is a decent stat but net rating is a better one, and Basketball reference's SRS measures point differential and tries to adjust by strength of schedule so that should be the best out of the three. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

What you're pointing out is point differential which is not the same thing as +-. I mean I guess you can call it team +- but usually when you talk about +- is when you are evaluating a specific player's impact on point differential or specific lineups. Point differential is a decent stat but net rating is a better one, and Basketball reference's SRS measures point differential and tries to adjust by strength of schedule so that should be the best out of the three. 

I know the difference between team and individual +/-.  SMDH

• Haha 1

Anything that combines offensive and defensive impact.  Team point differential, team ratings, individual ratings and +/- all provide a dependable picture IMO.  I got to where I can guess a player’s ratings pretty accurately more times than not.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thecampster said:

Its really a terrible small sample stat but I love tracking the team +/- as the season progresses. Its always served me well when trying to figure out who will win in the playoffs. Its not exact, but its a really good indicator of a strong team. Specifically Atlanta's team +/- was near the tops in the league the last 25 games of the season last year.  Below is how teams stack up after the first 3 or 4 games. I like tracking this and as you can see, Atlanta is currently 3rd behind Miami, Utah.  Its hard to account for the toll injuries take on a season in wins/losses but this stat rounds that out for me.  What is your go to betting stat that helps you decide your picks pregame?

image.thumb.png.739fdde101c636e0051d20fdaccbea84.png

But yes.  Point differential is definitely a good indicator of how good or how bad a team is.

For example. If you see a team with a winning record, that also has a negative point differential, it means that team gets the brakes beat off of them on occasion.  Teams like that cannot be trusted at all, because you don't know when the "bad team" will show up.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But yes.  Point differential is definitely a good indicator of how good or how bad a team is.

For example. If you see a team with a winning record, that also has a negative point differential, it means that team gets the brakes beat off of them on occasion.  Teams like that cannot be trusted at all, because you don't know when the "bad team" will show up.

Point differential early on in the season is not a great indicator though. Bulls played Detroit twice and New Orleans. If you don't adjust by strength of schedule it's an incredibly misleading stat. The longer the season goes on SOS starts evening out amongst teams and it's a pretty good indicator by the time you get to the playoffs. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Point differential early on in the season is not a great indicator though. Bulls played Detroit twice and New Orleans. If you don't adjust by strength of schedule it's an incredibly misleading stat. The longer the season goes on SOS starts evening out amongst teams and it's a pretty good indicator by the time you get to the playoffs. 

I like to track it throughout the season as it does show trends (of course taking into consideration if the team is on a road trip, at home, key players out, etc).