• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Solo soliloquy

sturt

• Premium Member

I ask myself... what to do about this roster slot now filled by someone who can't contribute for, at minimum, the regular season?

I answer... can't do nothing. Have to cut Solo, and sign someone off the street to a vet minimum contract...

But who?

Ah-ha. I know.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, I knew you'd be a Hawk at some point.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I ask myself... what to do about this roster slot now filled by someone who can't contribute for, at minimum, the regular season?

I answer... can't do nothing. Have to cut Solo, and sign someone off the street to a vet minimum contract...

But who?

Ah-ha. I know.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, I knew you'd be a Hawk at some point.

His Achilles heel...

He can't shoot.  If he were a defensive Juggernaut like Simmons, that would be one thing.. but he's not that either.  So he's a guy who can't shoot and doesn't get many turnovers, blocks, or stops.   Well, he does get stops sometimes.  But his real game is Hustle.   He's going to outhustle guys on the court because that's the way that he scores.   He's the dude diving for the loose ball.   We got Solo for that. 

Solo's role was unique because we used him as a 2,3 and 4 when needed. Even though he mostly only had to fill in at F for us, he still could guard PG's if needed. 

I really want us to elevate JJ and give him the spare change minutes left by Solo, but we are more in need of a true  wing, or at least a forward with guard capable versatility on defense (like Cam and Dre). 

Last season, our reserves gave us a huge boost when we needed it. Mays, Goodwin, Knight each had their moments/highlights. I would love for us to tap back in them. They way we are middling around they aren't going to shoot us in the foot much more than what we have been seeing. In other words, they wont make us better, but they wont make us THAT much worse either.

Hopefully Cam comes back Friday and none of this ends up mattering much 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Diesel said:

We got Solo for that. 

That was one quick recovery.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Hopefully Cam comes back Friday and none of this ends up mattering much 

Hope so.

But the point remains, it's a wasted roster slot.

And the end of the bench never matters... until it does.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Well, since he's out for the season, the league may give us an exception to sign someone else.

Right.  I don't think we have to cut him and as others pointed out Solo's value has always been on the bench and the locker room more than the court.   He can still be there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Watchman said:

Well, since he's out for the season, the league may give us an exception to sign someone else.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Right.  I don't think we have to cut him and as others pointed out Solo's value has always been on the bench and the locker room more than the court.   He can still be there.

The replacement player for the DPE is signed to 50% of Solo's salary. He's on a minimum deal, so not much value there.

We also have to clear a roster spot to do it.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The replacement player for the DPE is signed to 50% of Solo's salary. He's on a minimum deal, so not much value there.

We also have to clear a roster spot to do it.

I don't get it.   Why do we have to clear a roster spot?  Isn't Solo that spot?  If we were going to clear a spot then we'd just waive him right?  

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't get it.   Why do we have to clear a roster spot?  Isn't Solo that spot?  If we were going to clear a spot then we'd just waive him right?  

Using the DPE allows you to keep the injured player (most likely since they'd have more than an expiring contract) and sign another player but you'd need a roster spot. But in this case because of Solo's salary waiving would be the route.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Using the DPE allows you to keep the injured player (most likely since they'd have more than an expiring contract) and sign another player but you'd need a roster spot. But in this case because of Solo's salary waiving would be the route.

I totally believe you because i know nothing but i don't understand what it gets you.   We could sign another player at any time if we had a roster spot.  

• Premium Member

Not real sure why it matters, friends (?).

The exception is only important if the injured player isn't on an expiring deal, and thus, you're intending to have him back at a future point in time... Solo's contract is only for this season, of course.

Almost certainly whoever you would sign to replace Solo on the 15-man is going to be on a minimum contract, which you can do anyhow.

But you do have to create that roster slot first... which would make it necessary to cut Solo.

(If I'm missing something, certainly correct me.)

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Diesel said:

If he were a defensive Juggernaut

I should have added to my comment above last night...

"Juggernaut," no, but is he a superior defensive asset... absolutely. That's how the guy lasted in the league as long as he has.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, sturt said:

Not real sure why it matters, friends (?).

The exception is only important if the injured player isn't on an expiring deal, and thus, you're intending to have him back at a future point in time... Solo's contract is only for this season, of course.

Almost certainly whoever you would sign to replace Solo on the 15-man is going to be on a minimum contract, which you can do anyhow.

But you do have to create that roster slot first... which would make it necessary to cut Solo.

(If I'm missing something, certainly correct me.)

I'm just dense i think.  Is the exception about the cap?

A. Solo doesn't get hurt.  We can clear a roster spot and sign another player

B. Solo gets hurt.  We get the 'exception'.   We clear a roster spot and sign another player.

What's the difference?

Thanks for you patience!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm just dense i think.  Is the exception about the cap?

A. Solo doesn't get hurt.  We can clear a roster spot and sign another player

B. Solo gets hurt.  We get the 'exception'.   We clear a roster spot and sign another player.

What's the difference?

Thanks for you patience!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/what-does-disabled-player-exception-mean-nba

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Thanks.   So it's just about being allowed to sign a player if you're over the cap.   Got it.  I appreciate it.   

In our case it seems like there should be a roster spot exception since Solo is holding one but will never play the rest of his contract.   

I'm curious what we do but i just can't see us releasing him which means we have a dead roster spot. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

i just can't see us releasing him

Not sure what the point would be of keeping a player on the roster who you're going to have to pay anyhow, but who won't see the floor because he's physically unable.... ???

And it's not even as-if there's some terrible tax implication to signing RHJ or whoever to a vet min contract. So, it's really just a matter of who's available now versus who might be available later. But you might as well give Solo his lovely parting gifts.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm curious what we do but i just can't see us releasing him which means we have a dead roster spot. 

I said in the 'Tidbits' thread - I can see the Hawks releasing him to add another player but keeping him around and engaged with the team and more importantly rehabbing with the Hawks. List of current FAs:

Power Forwards

Small Forwards

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

1. Aminu made a lot of sense to me coming out of training camp, but about two months later, I feel like if I'm Schlenk I'd really prefer to get someone who comes to that first practice already in game shape.

2. Whoever the new player would be, may I propose that he should replicate one of Solo's most important but least mentioned roles... one that he didn't display very often, but every team needs that contrary, protector, enforcer guy who won't shy away from mixing it up if need be....

https://twitter.com/BasketNews_com/status/1465792328271110148?s=20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1