Myles Turner a better fit then Capela?

JTB

As most of you are aware Indy is doing a fire sale and their top players are available.

While I’m not necessarily proposing any trades it’s hard to not wonder about Myles Turner in specific and how he would be a better fit than Capela. 

Offensively Turner is way better than Capela it’s not even a discussion. If Trae can make Capela look like a good scorer at times imagine what Turner would do with Trae and JC since he can open up the floor.

Defensively I saw Capela is slightly better but Turner has the stats to back him up as the better defender so far this season if I’m not mistaking but I still feel capela is the better defender when both are healthy. As far as rebounding Capela is elite compared to Turner in this area.

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/6422981001

A Myles Turner trade is intriguing because offensively with Trae he’s probably a 20pts per night Center who can also spread the floor for our all star JC to go to work in the post or roll to the basket and add pressure on the rim at all times. Defensively Turner won’t hurt us but may not necessarily improve us either.

On the flip side Capela does the things that don’t always stand out on the box score and one of those things are committed screens he constantly makes or defensive communication. Great rebounder and extremely good attitude unlike what I have read about Turner.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JTB said:

As most of you are aware Indy is doing a fire sale and their top players are available.

While I’m not necessarily proposing any trades it’s hard to not wonder about Myles Turner in specific and how he would be a better fit than Capela. 

Offensively Turner is way better than Capela it’s not even a discussion. If Trae can make Capela look like a good scorer at times imagine what Turner would do with Trae and JC since he can open up the floor.

Defensively I saw Capela is slightly better but Turner has the stats to back him up as the better defender so far this season if I’m not mistaking but I still feel capela is the better defender when both are healthy. As far as rebounding Capela is elite compared to Turner in this area.

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/6422981001

A Myles Turner trade is intriguing because offensively with Trae he’s probably a 20pts per night Center who can also spread the floor for our all star JC to go to work in the post or roll to the basket and add pressure on the rim at all times. Defensively Turner won’t hurt us but may not necessarily improve us either.

On the flip side Capela does the things that don’t always stand out on the box score and one of those things are committed screens he constantly makes or defensive communication. Great rebounder and extremely good attitude unlike what I have read about Turner.

Miles Turner is better offensively, but offense is not the Hawks problem. 

It's a moot point anyway because Capela can't be traded until after the season.  We'll have, hopefully,, another playoff run of data to see the direction we want to go.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Turner is definitely a better offensive player. I also think he plays elite centers better on defense than Capela does. But he isn't half the rebounder that Capela is and he doesn't set screens or picks. Turner also wants a bigger role on a team so...where does he get shots? He's not getting them from Trae. He's not getting them from JC. 

We can't trade Capela until after the season is over so its basically moot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Idk I am fascinated to see how Turner will do in a more focused role.  Right now he's like a utility guy in Indy and they favor Sabonis most of the time.  Do you guys honestly think he wouldn't rebound as well if that's what was asked of him right now?  He absolutely cannot get offensive boards in Indy because they have him sitting in the corner on most possessions, and he's fighting with another center, Sabonis, on defense, so I'm not really sure.  He's also usually the paint protector guarding anyone driving so inside shots tend to be cleaned by Sabonis.  I think we would be just as good with Turner over Capela but maybe I'm missing something.  I think a lot of people will be surprised how good he will be when he gets into another situation, and I personally hope he doesn't land in Charlotte because they will be scary with a good center.