• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is the most disappointing Hawks season ever

Sothron

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

This same group of players were 2 games from the NBA finals. Yall just dismiss that as a fluke and assume this year is the real ceiling for the team. It's all subjective but I think that's an absurd thought process. 

We saw what this team is capable of last year. Same players. Same team. But you ignore that and claim Travis is overrated and the core is overrated. Nah. You criminally underrated both.

The team sucks right now. They have for the better part of 38 games. But that doesn't negate the fact that for 38 games plus 3 rounds in the playoffs last year they were a really really good team. And had a top 12 defense during that stretch as well. 

Right now though, that stretch is the outlier for this group, not the norm.  Throw out the first 2 seasons for the Hawks with Trae, because we were not trying to construct a team that was competitive for the playoffs.  Start with last season.

• 41 - 31 last season
    • 14 - 20 when we were struggling
    • 27 - 11 to finish the season
  • 17 - 22 currently this season

So who are the Hawks? 

• Are we the 27 - 11 team that puts us on pace for 58 wins? 
  • Or are we the combined 31 - 42 team in the 1st half of both seasons that puts us out of the playoffs?

If the answer is . . somewhere in the middle . . that means we're 58 - 53 team since the start of last season.

( 52.3% winning percentage = 43 win team )

I think most of us would've been cool with this, if we had been a one and done playoff team last season.  The urgency to do something significant wouldn't have been there.  But because we did make the run, expectations are high, and mediocre seasons are seen as complete failures.

If one or two injuries to certain role players can throw this team completely off, there may be something wrong with the way we're constructed, or the schemes that we're running.  And it's an indication that we may not be nearly as good as we think we are.

The other thing to think about is this. 

Both Reddish and Hunter are due for contract extensions next season.  So do we keep and resign both players, and hope that they blossom the way we want them to?  Do we overpay for one or both players?  Or do we sell high on one or both of them, and get us a piece that can elevate this group immediately for the next few years?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

T

NO one saw that type of production coming out of Trae. 

I did, but I wasn't posting here yet.

I was out of town this weekend and watched the LA games when I got home last night.  Came here to post how much I hate this f-ing team, but glad to see everyone already seems to have that covered.

There aren't too many people on this team I wouldn't trade, but I would start with our two soft no effort wings in Huerter and Bogi.   

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, shakes said:

I did, but I wasn't posting here yet.

I was out of town this weekend and watched the LA games when I got home last night.  Came here to post how much I hate this f-ing team, but glad to see everyone already seems to have that covered.

There aren't too many people on this team I wouldn't trade, but I would start with our two soft no effort wings in Huerter and Bogi.   

I actually think Heurter will get there.  He can be really nice when he's locked in and his contract allows us to afford much better bigs.  Bogi is overpaid imo and I think he isn't crazy about his role here but that's just speculation. 

For me, I think I'd prioritize getting these guys traded for a valuable piece, in order of ship them out now to rather keep:  Gallo > Bogi > Cam > JC > Heurter > Hunter > OO.  Not even listing Wright/TLC/Lou because I doubt they have any real value and Capela can't be traded until next summer.  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I actually think Heurter will get there.  He can be really nice when he's locked in and his contract allows us to afford much better bigs.  Bogi is overpaid imo and I think he isn't crazy about his role here but that's just speculation. 

For me, I think I'd prioritize getting these guys traded for a valuable piece, in order of ship them out now to rather keep:  Gallo > Bogi > Cam > JC > Heurter > Hunter > OO.  Not even listing Wright/TLC/Lou because I doubt they have any real value and Capela can't be traded until next summer.  

Huerter may get there, but right now he has the lowest effort level of anyone on the team.   No one stands around not doing shit better than Huerter.   I'd ship his lazy ass out of town ASAP.

• Sad 1

I wouldn't call 27-11 and a playoff run an outlier.  An outlier is a one off data point that you throw out because it doesn't fit with 99% of the data.  We are talking about a large percentage of games.  Can we throw ALL of that out?  

It's probably not any one thing that is causing our drop off.  We have talent, scheme, chemistry, and effort all combined to create this problem.  Just like the Knicks were exposed in the playoffs, our flaws are being exposed right now.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If one or two injuries to certain role players can throw this team completely off, there may be something wrong with the way we're constructed, or the schemes that we're running.  And it's an indication that we may not be nearly as good as we think we are.

I call B.S. on this statement.  I was rocking with your analysis until we get here.   Let me explain.

If Chicago Lose Levin and Derozen...   what do you think will happen?

If LAL loses Lebron and AD?

If Philly Loses Embiid and Curry?

If Brooklyn loses KD and anybody. 

I know... these are teams losing start players.   Well, we did lose our star for a while.   However, think about this also.. How many protocols have we had at the same time.   We not only lost players but we lost continuity and consistency. 

I don't know how long it takes a team to find it's groove after being separated so long.   The tell tale sign that we are still on the mend is that we're playing a 2-3 zone defense.   You wonder why we are being crushed defensively?  We are so out of sync that the coaches have told us to play a high school defense so that we can:

1.  Hide Trae's size. 

2.   Account for guys not knowing what to do on the defensive end. 

And even I say.. it's effort.. it's effort.  However, we have to also admit that scheme and skill plays a very big role.  Sure, if you give the right team the 2-3 zone defense, they will do well with it and probably beat the devil out of people.   But that's not us.  We don't have guys whoose natural inclination is playing defense. 

The other day.. Bogi is doubling a post player with the ball while the guy who has been killing us from three is wide open on the three point line.   This is coaching.  This is in-game recognition.  This is natural defense. 

We don't run shooters off the line.   We are forced to try to close out on most three point shooters and by then it's too late.   The one thng we accomplish is we stop players from getting downhill in transition. 

Yesterday's game showed the true value of Clint.   They killed us off of Offensive rebs and second chance scores.   That kills a defense.  Our team rebounding is suspect. 

I watched Cleveland play GS...  Cleveland don't have much talent but what they do very well is attack the middle.  Relentlessly.  That's a problem for us.   It was a problem for GS but GS just outpointed those guys. 

Waiting to see what Travis will do. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

On 9-9-2021 I said:

I still believe... when I don't consider the price... Simmons is a great Robin especially for a nondefensive team. 

As Hawks fans...we rest a lot on HOPE.

We HOPE that we can play defense....    We hope that Dieng can make us better.   We hope that Cam will step up on defense.   We hope that Hunter will step up and defend.

In the playoffs.

Knicks shot 39.8%

76ers shot 48.4%

Bucks shot 47.7% 

On our defense. 

It suggests that Every time we're in the playoffs.. we're the SacTown Kings... We have to win a shootout.   And as you ask, we shot 44.4% against the 76ers.  So.. I believe that the biggest strength that Simmons would bring would be a point of our biggest need... Defense.   The cost may inhibit us from going after him... but This idea that his biggest flaw is too big of a flaw??  That's B.S.  His greatest assets make us better. 

Since then, more has come out about Simmons' mental condition and some have been linked back to LSU.   Blah blah blah..

Still.. I believe that he's the best defensive robin to Trae's batman.  He can help our defense tremendously. 

It's hard to not think about this guy's defense on opposing wings and guards.. when our own guys have been so trashy. 

Somebody showed that Gallo, Wright, and Cam can get it done... I'd throw in a first (protected top 3) to make it happen and we'd live with the mental issues... just like BKL. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

This same group of players were 2 games from the NBA finals. Yall just dismiss that as a fluke and assume this year is the real ceiling for the team. It's all subjective but I think that's an absurd thought process. 

We saw what this team is capable of last year. Same players. Same team. But you ignore that and claim Travis is overrated and the core is overrated. Nah. You criminally underrated both.

The team sucks right now. They have for the better part of 38 games. But that doesn't negate the fact that for 38 games plus 3 rounds in the playoffs last year they were a really really good team. And had a top 12 defense during that stretch as well. 

The East sucked last seaason.. And the Hawks caught lightning in a bottle when they fired LP.  THEY HATED HIM.....It happens all of the time in business... Before I retired, My former crew stepped up BIG time when I got rid of their supervisor(coach).. It was like night and day the job(winning) they were doing....Wasn't long before they resorted back to being who they really are....less production......more mistakes......calling in sick........etc...................... That's when I started looking at the actual workers(players) themselves......................

And Good teams dont suck for the better part of 38 games.. lol

Last year is completely gone.. Poof!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, BangHolman said:

We didn't follow rule #1 in Atlanta Sports.... Don't get your hopes up.

Timely message for the Georgia fans here lol...

But to be honest, if you aren't getting your hopes up, you're not really investing in the team.  Might as well watch whatever game is on national TV every night instead of the Hawks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's not true.  A lot of them thought he would be ineffective on offense because he was too small.  They were too enamored with his shooting, not realizing that he's the best pure passing PG since Steve Nash, with Steph Curry range.

Trae has hit averages 25 pts - 9 asst - 4 rebs in his last 2.5 seasons.  Only Westbrook and Harden has hit those marks multiple times in the last 30 years.  And only Tiny Archibald and Michael Adams have hit those marks as a player Trae's size.

NO one saw that type of production coming out of Trae.  I distinctly remember a poll that came out before the season, asking who would win Rookie of the Year.  Not a single person voted for Trae.

Trae's play has been historic.

I said with a brain....

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's not true.  A lot of them thought he would be ineffective on offense because he was too small.  They were too enamored with his shooting, not realizing that he's the best pure passing PG since Steve Nash, with Steph Curry range.

Trae has hit averages 25 pts - 9 asst - 4 rebs in his last 2.5 seasons.  Only Westbrook and Harden has hit those marks multiple times in the last 30 years.  And only Tiny Archibald and Michael Adams have hit those marks as a player Trae's size.

NO one saw that type of production coming out of Trae.  I distinctly remember a poll that came out before the season, asking who would win Rookie of the Year.  Not a single person voted for Trae.

Trae's play has been historic.

And it has led to a historic record of 107 wins----153 losses...

Not as bad as Schlenk record as Hawks GM though, which is 131----211.... smh

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, terrell said:

And it has led to a historic record of 107 wins----153 losses...

Not as bad as Schlenk record as Hawks GM though, which is 131----211.... smh

No . . it led to a EC Finals appearance and had Hawks go deeper in the playoffs since they've been in Atlanta.

Respect the Superstar . . . get him some help so we can win a chip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No . . it led to a EC Finals appearance and had Hawks go deeper in the playoffs since they've been in Atlanta.

Respect the Superstar . . . get him some help so we can win a chip.

Y'all gone live off of that forever.. Thats fine......I've moved on... Last year is history.. Like it didnt even happen in my mind...

With that said, the Hawks were a mess last year until Coach Nate entered the frame.  After the run they had, there is zero reason for them to revert back to how they were under LP (look at the Suns for example dominating this year), UNLESS what they were under LP is their normal selves. Hell, even Travis said it was probably a mistake to bring everybody back....smh

Edited by terrell