• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is the most disappointing Hawks season ever

Sothron

• Premium Member

I have never felt so let down as a fan since 1979. This team has zero heart. Zero fight. Zero guts. They refuse to play any defense barring a few players or occasional stretches in a game. They routinely let random scrub players every game go off for career games. Those players quickly go back to being scrubs after the Atlanta game. 

We were two wins from the Finals last season. We were a Trae Young injury from being the Bucks and IMO easily beating the Suns in the Finals. That one damn ref that wouldn't move and hurt Trae cost us our first championship in Atlanta.

And now this season. Ravaged by injuries and covid? Yep. But more than that? We have been ravaged by "regular season is boring" mentality. This team needs a big trade to shake things up and hopefully put some fear into the remaining players to finally give a damn about playing defense.

I can't stress enough how much it bothers me on a personal level how much I am disappointed in every one of these guys. They have completely let the fans down this season. And here's the reality for those hoping whenever the magical day that the team is healthy we'll finally start winning: the season is half way over. We are going to miss the play ins and have yet another lottery season. That is what is staring us in the face. And frankly the lottery trip is far more realistic than the Hawks magically starting to win 4 out of every 5 games the rest of the season to make the playoffs.

We will be looking at sites like this just like we did before last season:

https://www.nbadraft.net/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

From a talent stance and misuse of talent, hell yeah. 

But that playoff guarantee Hawks was the WOAT season in my fandom. I never wanted to rebuild so bad as a Hawks fan in my life and I always want to blow it up and rebuild. This team ain't that bad due to having Trae Young. They just gotta realize, this team needs a #2 option who's a big as wings will always be too inconsistent since Trae plays Bron ball. 

We gotta get KAT, Embiid, Jokic, or Sabonis. We gotta get an offensive star or superstar 5 who can play PnR and space the floor. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You need to stop mentioning these guys.  Just be a little more realistic. 

There is only like 4 offensive bigs who are stars or superstars. Most of the star or superstar bigs are defensive minded. Embiid elite at both but doesn't play PnR anywhere near as well as the others. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

There is only like 4 offensive bigs who are stars or superstars. Most of the star or superstar bigs are defensive minded. Embiid elite at both but doesn't play PnR anywhere near as well as the others. 

I'm saying stop saying you want them. All teams would want them. They just aren't available. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I have never felt so let down as a fan since 1979. This team has zero heart. Zero fight. Zero guts. They refuse to play any defense barring a few players or occasional stretches in a game. They routinely let random scrub players every game go off for career games. Those players quickly go back to being scrubs after the Atlanta game. 

We were two wins from the Finals last season. We were a Trae Young injury from being the Bucks and IMO easily beating the Suns in the Finals. That one damn ref that wouldn't move and hurt Trae cost us our first championship in Atlanta.

And now this season. Ravaged by injuries and covid? Yep. But more than that? We have been ravaged by "regular season is boring" mentality. This team needs a big trade to shake things up and hopefully put some fear into the remaining players to finally give a damn about playing defense.

I can't stress enough how much it bothers me on a personal level how much I am disappointed in every one of these guys. They have completely let the fans down this season. And here's the reality for those hoping whenever the magical day that the team is healthy we'll finally start winning: the season is half way over. We are going to miss the play ins and have yet another lottery season. That is what is staring us in the face. And frankly the lottery trip is far more realistic than the Hawks magically starting to win 4 out of every 5 games the rest of the season to make the playoffs.

We will be looking at sites like this just like we did before last season:

https://www.nbadraft.net/

But then, all those lottery picks turn out to be less than impressive, and are not going to get us anywhere.

53 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

A couple of days ago one of them was called a superstar.  When will people make up their mind?  Now all of our lottery picks are underwhelming.  

This season is disappointing, but not the worst.  Dominique being traded when we were the #1 seed.  That was the worst.  Actually how disappointing was the season after Dominique was traded?  Other disappointments:

1. Moses Malone and Reggie Theus season

2. Playoff guarantee

3. Season after our 60 win team

We still have half the season left.  A lot can change if we make the right move.  Still, I'm constantly confused on what people believe about this team.  It changes from week to week.  Our team sucks, but people don't want to trade any of our rookie contracts or JC.  It's funny at this point, truly.  

The collective opinion of this team's players changes from game to game on here depending on the result and how individual players play. Perspective went out the window weeks ago. The team sucks right now. We all likely agree there.  But that doesn't mean the players aren't valuable pieces for this franchise. At least most of them. Travis' job is to figure out which ones to keep and which to use to upgrade the team. 

But these folks acting like he needs to be fired and then blow up the team are just being hyper emotional and lack perspective. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

The collective opinion of this team's players changes from game to game on here depending on the result and how individual players play. Perspective went out the window weeks ago. The team sucks right now. We all likely agree there.  But that doesn't mean the players aren't valuable pieces for this franchise. At least most of them. Travis' job is to figure out which ones to keep and which to use to upgrade the team. 

But these folks acting like he needs to be fired and then blow up the team are just being hyper emotional and lack perspective. 

Remember the 3rd Q against the Cavs when Trae went off with Iwundu, Oliver, and Capela?  Trae is that good on offense to elevate literal guys off the street, as long as those guys HUSTLE and play PHYSICAL on defense..Capela can then just cover the back line...But our collection of wings right now aint it...Hunter should help some I guess. But you cant depend on he or Cam staying healthy anymore..Thats why I say blow it up...The pieces dont fit imo.. We looked better as a team with Trae, Capela, and Gleaguers..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member

I did not have expectations that we would make the ECF or even the 2nd round this year, but I did expect us to secure a playoff spot and be a top 6 seed.  I won't lay judgement on how disappointing the season is for at least another 2 months though.  There is a lot of time to make up ground if we can get our shit together.  Right now that feels impossible based on what we've seen, but it's possible we shape up.  I'll be very disappointed if we're watching lottery balls in July.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, terrell said:

Remember the 3rd Q against the Cavs when Trae went off with Iwundu, Oliver, and Capela?  Trae is that good on offense to elevate literal guys off the street, as long as those guys HUSTLE and play PHYSICAL on defense..Capela can then just cover the back line...But our collection of wings right now aint it...Hunter should help some I guess. But you cant depend on he or Cam staying healthy anymore..Thats why I say blow it up...The pieces dont fit imo.. We looked better as a team with Trae, Capela, and Gleaguers..

This isn't a blow it up situation. It's a change the ingredients deal. But you can change 2 or 3 parts and make a substantial difference. No need to start over. 

Maybe that means a change in wing personnel. But it could just as easily be a change in wing rotation. Or it could be just having all the wings get healthy and playing together. 

I'm in favor of tweaking the roster but certainly not blowing it up. And let's not even talk about the dumb idea of firing Travis. That's just absurd. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

If we can move say 3 guys for 1 star player then it should hopefully correct some issues on the team.

I will say this: we did play better defense against the Clippers. They still shot incredibly well with tons of wide open looks. And another scrub player went off for a career game. But holding a team to 103 points in today's NBA is a good defensive effort as a team.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This isn't a blow it up situation. It's a change the ingredients deal. But you can change 2 or 3 parts and make a substantial difference. No need to start over. 

Maybe that means a change in wing personnel. But it could just as easily be a change in wing rotation. Or it could be just having all the wings get healthy and playing together. 

I'm in favor of tweaking the roster but certainly not blowing it up. And let's not even talk about the dumb idea of firing Travis. That's just absurd. 

I dont get all of the Schlenk love but ok.....

What has he done thats so great?

Trae not being a bust(and thank God for that) has fans thinking hes the Goat for some reason.

With the draft capital he's had, we should be better than we are..

Ya'll overate our "core" man..

Just my opinion of course..

And when is he gonna find a legit backup PG?

Edited by terrell

14 minutes ago, terrell said:

Trae not being a bust(and thank God for that) has fans thinking hes the Goat for some reason.

Most people with a brain knew Trae would be good on offense....It was his defense that had the scouts believing he'd struggle...

Edited by terrell

8 hours ago, terrell said:

This same group of players were 2 games from the NBA finals. Yall just dismiss that as a fluke and assume this year is the real ceiling for the team. It's all subjective but I think that's an absurd thought process. 

We saw what this team is capable of last year. Same players. Same team. But you ignore that and claim Travis is overrated and the core is overrated. Nah. You criminally underrated both.

The team sucks right now. They have for the better part of 38 games. But that doesn't negate the fact that for 38 games plus 3 rounds in the playoffs last year they were a really really good team. And had a top 12 defense during that stretch as well. 

• Like 1

Going from gladness to sadness.  That's us.  From the playoffs we move up to today.  We can't.  Why?  For some reason Atlanta is not the same team we saw last season.

We gained two draft picks which most of us on the Squawk consider to be pretty good.  Yet, they can get no meaningful minutes.  They do not exist as far as the Hawks coaches believe.

Where have we gone wrong?  I know.  All these injuries + Covid 19 has had a terrible effect on us.  Seems to me that the Hawks have move from being a team to being a group of NBA players.  

Every Hawk, without exception, should be available in a trade IF the trade is good for us now and the future.  We have players still on their rookie contracts.  We have players on big contracts.  Trading these players, who ever they may be, is not tearing down the Hawks but making them a team again.

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, terrell said:

Most people with a brain knew Trae would be good on offense....It was his defense that had the scouts believing he'd struggle...

That's not true.  A lot of them thought he would be ineffective on offense because he was too small.  They were too enamored with his shooting, not realizing that he's the best pure passing PG since Steve Nash, with Steph Curry range.

Trae has hit averages 25 pts - 9 asst - 4 rebs in his last 2.5 seasons.  Only Westbrook and Harden has hit those marks multiple times in the last 30 years.  And only Tiny Archibald and Michael Adams have hit those marks as a player Trae's size.

NO one saw that type of production coming out of Trae.  I distinctly remember a poll that came out before the season, asking who would win Rookie of the Year.  Not a single person voted for Trae.

Trae's play has been historic.

• Like 3