• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gallo's Value

Diesel

Where is Gallo More valuable?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Yes but if that's all he was thinking then what he said on the radio seemed way over the top to me.   I know some think he was just lighting a fire under the guys but to me that's not really the GM's job. 

I actually think he was truly upset.  He was Jerry Jones Upset with his team because we had put out all this money and we were losing games that we should be winning.  It's the coaches Job to motivate but the GM usually has the ultimate motivation.   I mean... look at LAL... can Frank Vogel motivate anybody on that team?  NO... But Ultimately the GM can.  Usually GMs dont like to get involved like that but many do. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I actually think he was truly upset.  He was Jerry Jones Upset with his team because we had put out all this money and we were losing games that we should be winning.  It's the coaches Job to motivate but the GM usually has the ultimate motivation.   I mean... look at LAL... can Frank Vogel motivate anybody on that team?  NO... But Ultimately the GM can.  Usually GMs dont like to get involved like that but many do. 

Yeah.  It's fine.  I don't want to make too big a deal out of it but coming off a stretch where most of the team was injured or had covid or both and we were playing with 10 day guys starting it just seemed irrational to me.  It wasn't a post game press conference.  It was a morning radio show that he plans to be on.   If i was a player it would have rubbed me the wrong way but maybe they all knew what he was talking about.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  It's fine.  I don't want to make too big a deal out of it but coming off a stretch where most of the team was injured or had covid or both and we were playing with 10 day guys starting it just seemed irrational to me.  It wasn't a post game press conference.  It was a morning radio show that he plans to be on.   If i was a player it would have rubbed me the wrong way but maybe they all knew what he was talking about.  

Oh... it was irrational.  I didn't agree with airing it out like that.  However, the one thing I will suggest is that we were losing games that we could have won.   With those 10 dayers there were some games we had not a chance.. but we lost some games that made us all mad because we lost them in the end.   But you still don't air it out like that. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's not that we lost - it was WHO we lost to and HOW!

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's not that we lost - it was WHO we lost to and HOW!

Yeah i get that but to me it's iffy if i'm going to air it out like that in normal times.  With all the player absences and crazy rotating lineups i didn't like it.   But that's just me.   

• Premium Member

I definitely think that at this moment, he's worth more to us on the floor. But I feel like in the pre-play-in era, he'd probably have more value as a trading piece. Heck, in a season where there was less parity overall, he'd have a lot more value as a trading piece. But this year isn't like that.

Usually, blockbuster trades involving a high-dollar expiring contract involve one of three types of players on the other side: (1) a good or great veteran player from a team that's out of the playoff hunt; (2) a disgruntled player from a competitive team; or (3) some first round picks attached to a dramatically overpaid player on a non-expiring contract. We would have little interest in a (3)-type player right now.

The market of (2)-type players is usually not that big, and this year it's especially thin. The only type of players who fit (2) are Simmons and maybe the Celtics stars, which is why there's so much chatter surrounding Simmons. But Philly clearly isn't interested in just getting Gallo and some picks back for Simmons, so that's not a plausible trade scenario for Gallo.

That leaves (1), but the combination of relative parity and the play-in tournament mean that very few teams are actually out of the hunt. These are the playoff standings right now:

image.png

In a normal year, Portland, New Orleans, San Antonio, and Sacramento might all be making all their vets available. But they are all doing well enough that those teams aren't in true fire-sale mode where they are prioritizing cap flexibility over improving their rosters. And some teams that everyone expected to suck this year (looking at you, Washington, Cleveland, and Minnesota) are actually legit threats to make the playoffs outright.

That leaves Detroit, Orlando, OKC, Houston, and maybe Indiana. But Orlando, OKC, and Houston don't have any notable veterans--certainly none that would give us more than Gallo. That leaves Indiana's players and Jerami Grant.

I have a feeling someone will outbid us for Sabonis or Turner if Gallo is the centerpiece from our end. We don't need LeVert or Brogdon. Which leaves Grant as pretty much the only target available. Again, I think other teams will outbid us if Gallo and a protected first are all we offer. And is Grant good enough to warrant unloading multiple firsts (thereby closing the door on a consolidation trade for a true star down the road) along with Gallo to get him? I think not.

So yeah--this year, Gallo's more valuable to us on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1