• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

There's ZERO reason to believe adding Gobert would make the Hawks worse.  You are just projecting and assuming to fit your perspective.  I'm not 100% sold on the trade idea but at least be logical and reasonable about it.  

The term treadmill does not imply the team will be worse...that is tanking.  Treadmill implies that the team has limited ability to improve because of committed salary.

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

IMO, the Hawks HAVE to find a 2nd playmaker AND upgrade the defense.  If Gobert is the D answer then fine as long as his salary doesn't prohibit the addition of the 2nd playmaker.  Adding Gobert while losing Huerter may help one area of the team but it hurts the other.  And let's be real.....the wings weren't all that great with Huerter / Bogi.  

I'm saying adding Gobert helps facilitate getting the secondary playmaker. It'll be a rental but it will make others trying to up their stock, ring chase, etc consider us.  Clint does not move that needle. Ayton only slightly moves that needle.  Gobert moves that needle. Its how you get 1/2 signings on the cheap. You commit. 

You make that commitment, you change players minds.  Right now, they are looking at the Hawks and wondering how can we beat Miami, Boston, Milwaukee, Brooklyn, Philly. Its the fill in pieces that make the difference.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Atlanta comes away with an offseason of 

Trae/Delon

Daniels/Bogi

Hunter

Okongwu/JJ

Gobert

I love our starting five chances to win 50-60 games in the regular season. 

Saw this earlier... I like this kid. He knows what he needs to improve to elevate his game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The term treadmill does not imply the team will be worse...that is tanking.  Treadmill implies that the team has limited ability to improve because of committed salary.

There are levels to the NBA every year. Always has been.

1. Contenders: 4-5 teams

2. Treadmill: 8-12 teams

3. Young & Mismanaged: 10-15 teams

4. Tankers: 8-10 teams

We were young and mismanaged last year, improving our team either gets us in the treadmill (those teams are only 1 right move away from a championship - see Toronto Raptors) or going straight into contender status. 

Gobert and Ayton move us up into treadmill status at least, I think Gobert might push us into contender status. Dude really is that good. 

Just now, gurpilo said:

Ivey, Daniels are big question marks, bigger than any draft. This draft is weak. Ivey is a bad defender, Daniels shot ,25% from 3, how can we win with 2 players that play inside and a player that shots so poorly?

Daniels sucked early in the season shooting 3s but he shoot extremely well in the 2nd half of the season. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, LucastheThird said:

Gobert and Ayton move us up into treadmill status at least, I think Gobert might push us into contender status. Dude really is that good. 

And we would be locked there for years to come which is my only point.  We can become Denver/Utah or something better or worse

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

SHIT! Everyone but Trae can defend their asses off.

I still want Ayton over Gobert. I see it like this....

Gobert = 4 year championship window
Ayton = potential dynasty

Ayton can grow with Trae and our core. Gobert may be a liability by the time his contract ends. 

• Like 2

Just don't see why all the focus is on Gobert instead of Ayton.

Age - Ayton is 8 years younger

Contract - Ayton 10+ million less per year

Assets to give up - Ayton likely less as it's an S&T

Potential - Ayton (obviously)

Offense - Ayton

Free Throws and floor streching - Ayton

Defense - Gobert

Rebounding - Gobert

I just don't get it.  We really want to pay this guy 46 million in a few years?   He's been exposed in the playoffs multiple years in a row by scrubs.  Why does everyone keep pointing to his regular season stats.  Teams know the formula to counter him.  Since he sucks offensively, he can't make teams pay by going small on the other end.  

All that being said, if the trade is any more than Capela and one of Heurter/Bogi for Gobert, I can stomach it.  If we throw in Collins and/or Hunter, Schlenk is an idiot.  Gobert is considered a bad contract by most standards.  To give up that much young talent to get that much older as a team for a slight upgrade over Capela would be complete nuts.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae/Delon

Daniels/Bogi

Hunter

Okongwu/JJ

Gobert

I though the Hawks were out of the Gobert race? What changed?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Ivey, Daniels are big question marks, bigger than any draft. This draft is weak. Ivey is a bad defender, Daniels shot ,25% from 3, how can we win with 2 players that play inside and a player that shots so poorly?

I can't believe a veteran poster will be depending on a rookie in the starting line up to make this team better with no bench. 

5 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Just don't see why all the focus is on Gobert instead of Ayton.

Age - Ayton is 8 years younger

Contract - Ayton 10+ million less per year

Assets to give up - Ayton likely less as it's an S&T

Potential - Ayton (obviously)

Offense - Ayton

Free Throws and floor streching - Ayton

Defense - Gobert

Rebounding - Gobert

I just don't get it.  We really want to pay this guy 46 million in a few years?   He's been exposed in the playoffs multiple years in a row by scrubs.  Why does everyone keep pointing to his regular season stats.  Teams know the formula to counter him.  Since he sucks offensively, he can't make teams pay by going small on the other end.  

All that being said, if the trade is any more than Capela and one of Heurter/Bogi for Gobert, I can stomach it.  If we throw in Collins and/or Hunter, Schlenk is an idiot.  Gobert is considered a bad contract by most standards.  To give up that much young talent to get that much older as a team for a slight upgrade over Capela would be complete nuts.

Ayton will only include Clint which means we're absorbing an extra $10 million in salary so one of the players we mentioned earlier would still most likely be sent out.  In order to get Phoenix to bite, the Ayton deal would likely include 2x 1sts instead of 1.

Edited by thecampster

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae/Delon

Daniels/Bogi

Hunter

Okongwu/JJ

Gobert

That team is terrible offensively.  I would like to relieve Trae from so much offensive burden.  His usage would be like 75% on this team.

I would do a Capela + Heurter or Bogi in a Gobert trade.  Nothing more.  But i would still prefer to use that package on Ayton first.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They were at that time. When Utah insisted on Hunter but it seems Utah came to it's senses. 

Its all media posturing. If the asset is Huerter, that needs to happen after the Moratorium to make the salaries work. If its BB, it can happen pre-draft but it would cost Utah more in LT this year (couple million more). So from a financial standpoint, in either deal they wouldn't consummate until Jul 8th or later. They're feeling out their options incase there is a late offer to the party.  The media needs something to write about in the interim so they make stuff up to fill article quotas. That's really it.

• Thanks 2

Just now, AtLaS said:

That team is terrible offensively.  I would like to relieve Trae from so much offensive burden.  His usage would be like 75% on this team.

I would do a Capela + Heurter or Bogi in a Gobert trade.  Nothing more.  But i would still prefer to use that package on Ayton first.

Our offense right now is terrible and we finished 2nd in the NBA. Trae is an one man bandstand. Ya'll really underestimate how good Gobert is offensively. Ya'll really underestimate all that he does on that end. Even defensively, I think he's underrated on here. 

Forget these two high priced centers.  Move in the draft and take Mark Williams.  Dieng becomes expendable as we have a new #3 center for right now.  No, Hawks don't have a new, expensive center but we do have one that can grow into just what we need.

Move JJ to shooting guard.  Two problems solved.  Thank you!

😎

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae/Delon

Daniels/Bogi

Hunter

Okongwu/JJ

Gobert

Now find us a legit backup center and SF.. lol