The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:  Who has Hunter shut down on defense?

Meaning ... can you point to a particular game where you can say "man; DeAndre really locked up so-and-so tonight".

In addition to the DAL game mentioned, he had some good defensive performances.

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Travis and Landry knows what their doing 

Sorry this is still 'in question'.

And I find it strange how adamant you are that they botched the Trae trade, but also say 'all is well' with respect to Schlenk and his decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

It has been established. We have proof of their work.

Draft? Absolutely.

Trade? Hmmmm... you sure about that???

Free agency? Again, there's good and bad.

And I would add, we have proof of TS' work, but we don't have ultimate proof and it is now that that is either going to materialize or it won't, and we'll be talking later about how the master plan either was abandoned too early, or how it wasn't well conceived to begin with, or how it was well conceived, but this or that pivotal bad decision took it all south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, sturt said:

Draft? Absolutely.

Trade? Hmmmm... you sure about that???

Free agency? Again, there's good and bad.

And I would add, we have proof of TS' work, but we don't have ultimate proof and it is now that that is either going to materialize or it won't, and we'll be talking later about how the master plan either was abandoned too early, or how it wasn't well conceived to begin with, or how it was well conceived, but this or that pivotal bad decision took it all south.

I feel you on that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Rooted in the exchange just now with @NBASupes, I'm prompted to the thought......

Should a GM play to his strengths?

I think we would all say "absolutely."

Well, okay... track with me...

If Schlenk were to play to his (known and widely accepted) strengths, wouldn't that translate to constantly churning the roster, only signing the very best players who prove themselves ASG or near-ASG quality to a vet contract, and using any asset that isn't in that highest tier as trade bait for more draft picks? And for that matter, signing free agents mostly on the basis of their likelihood to be February trade fodder for more draft picks?

In a perfect world, then, where patience was indeed a virtue, wouldn't we still be in tank mode, and allowing our GM to play to his strengths, and more likely to capture and amass young inexpensive talent until the roster is busting at the seams talent-wise and... leading to a GSW like run, if not better???

Just a thought experiment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sturt said:

(Aside: I miss Jason. I'm sure he's an occasional lurker.)

I’m perfectly ok in that scenario keeping jc. That move is 2 fold on why I would understand it if we made it …

1) we absolutely believe someone like Daniels is the perfect fit next to trae long term

2) avoids the LT 

that’s also the kind of move if it doesn’t work - schlenk is fired asap. Not my career tho so 🙃

Edited by h4wkfan

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

We beat GS without Curry by 11. Not the statement win that I would hang my argument on. 

Not to get in the middle of this argument - but Hawks won with no Collins or Bogi :blush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wow, that’s too much. We can take JC out of this deal.

Asked and answered. The deal doesn't work with JC included (cap wise). Started by someone who included all names he'd heard without any knowledge of how things work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not to get in the middle of this argument - but Hawks won with no Collins or Bogi :blush:

Not an argument (at least I don't think we are). The more  accurate game to discuss would be the November 8 game vs GS. Both teams were healthier (No Klay) and GS won by 14. 

@sturt & @Diesel I don't disagree that we have a good team, but I don't see us getting into contender status with our young players getting older and better every year. I just don't see any of our other players getting to that secondary star status like a Jaylen Brown, Klay Thompson, etc. I feel like we need to go acquire one using 2 of our great role players with a draft pick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Asked and answered. The deal doesn't work with JC included (cap wise). Started by someone who included all names he'd heard without any knowledge of how things work.

Agreed!  I have no knowledge about how things work.  Just reporting about the rumor that I read.  I'm sure there would be additions to make the $$$ money work.  The additions, however, were not mentioned in the rumor.  Just what they thought Atlanta would be required to spend.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

@sturt & @Diesel I don't disagree that we have a good team, but I don't see us getting into contender status with our young players getting older and better every year. I just don't see any of our other players getting to that secondary star status like a Jaylen Brown, Klay Thompson, etc. I feel like we need to go acquire one using 2 of our great role players with a draft pick. 

This sounds familiar....

Brown will be an restricted free agent next summer

At the moment, Jaylen Brown represents one of the tougher evaluations in the NBA. His talent is obvious, but his role on the Celtics has been less clear, or at least less consistent, and consequently we've only seen stints of the All-Star player most people believe he's capable of being. 

• Premium Member

Having to push pause on my discretionary time for now, but happened to see this discussion, and thought worth sharing real quick, and mainly because these two tend to be pretty objective, imo, as Laker and Celtic fans go... and not that I've had a chance yet to screen all that they say... (and apologies if already posted... )

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Having to push pause on my discretionary time for now, but happened to see this discussion, and thought worth sharing real quick, and mainly because these two tend to be pretty objective, imo, as Laker and Celtic fans go... and not that I've had a chance yet to screen all that they say... (and apologies if already posted... )

They've already said Zach is going to sign with Chicago on a max as soon as he can.  No need in worrying about him at the moment. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

They've already said Zach is going to sign with Chicago on a max as soon as he can.  No need in worrying about him at the moment. 

Right.

That's a top agenda item, but then from about 25 minute mark there is an extensive discussion about the Hawks' situation.

Over and out for now...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is why I think there’s a lot of truth to the JC rumors currently going around. We were targeting LaVine, and as soon as this Zach news hit, we shifted our focus to finding our star SG through the draft. Also of note:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

This is why I think there’s a lot of truth to the JC rumors currently going around. We were targeting LaVine, and as soon as this Zach news hit, we shifted our focus to finding our star SG through the draft. Also of note:

I could see them trading #4 and filler to us for Collins.

I personally like Ivey a lot. My personal draft board is Jabari Smith #1 and Ivey #2.

Theres no way those two fail at the next level in my opinion unless some kind of injury takes place.

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

I could see them trading #4 and filler to us for Collins.

I personally like Ivey a lot. My personal draft board is Jabari Smith #1 and Ivey #2.

Theres no way those two fail at the next level in my opinion unless some kind of injury takes place.

I agree. I’d personally rather keep JC, but of all the trade rumors I’ve seen, I’d be most at peace with trading him if it’s for Ivey at 4.

I'm drooling at the prospect of DeAndre making a year 4 jump like Jaylen Brown did...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownja02.html

Now, if only that happens then that can be something big for us. Jaylen's seemed log-jammed behind Kyrie and Marcus and once Kyrie was gone that made a difference. I wonder if DeAndre could recognize his need if our shooting guards didn't try and do all the slashing instead of Dre.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I'm drooling at the prospect of DeAndre making a year 4 jump like Jaylen Brown did...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownja02.html

Now, if only that happens then that can be something big for us. Jaylen's seemed log-jammed behind Kyrie and Marcus and once Kyrie was gone that made a difference. I wonder if DeAndre could recognize his need if our shooting guards didn't try and do all the slashing instead of Dre.

Only thing I'm worried about in that regard is the fact that Brown came up as a PG, for the most part.  HIs handle has been fine.  Hunter's needs work.

That's the difference that could (emphasis on 'could') cap Hunter's potential ascension to where Brown is right now.