• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LIVE: 2022 NBA DRAFT 7:30PM

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

It bothers me that it seems to take a couple more tenths of a second for him to get his shot off.

I really don't mind his wide base on his shot--it's reminiscent of Carlos "Bunny" Gibson, one of the most incredible 3 point shooters I've ever seen in person.

When you watch his "improvement areas" clips. it leads to the thought that he may have benefited from being able to bully college players with his barrel chest, but that's not likely to translate too well to NBA where many can match that.

But he's young. Really young. I never count out a 19 year-old who Travis drafts.

It's just going to be an on-going question, though, whether he's still a Hawk in another month... heck, another week.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, sturt said:

So I take it there won't be one... Landry's 60-second happy-happy vid is what we get instead I suppose.

Smart move, I suppose, if you really don't want to be taking questions about the last 72 hours or so.

Nope... evidently there will be...

https://www.nba.com/hawks/stream

8 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

I said Snell earlier but that was more comparison of role than body type.  Griffin reminds me more of Martell Webster.

Webster didn't have any skill or handles tho. He was a straight up shooter

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Cat's bound to get a serious look by some team for 3rd PG, or at least a 2-way... and granting that Sharife is going to be the ATL 3rd PG, College Park's going to need this guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warcore said:

@Spud2nique ya boy AJ! I had a feeling he’d be there and I’m happy he was!

Wow. Didn’t think he’d be there either. Only the 3rd time in the last 35 years we got my guy.

91- Augmon

2020- Okongwu

2022- AJ Griffin

He is the dog in this draft. Truly believe he will be a nice addition. Also loved his dad Adrian back in the day. Always played gritty D, son seems to have the same determination.

A+ 1st round pick for us.

• Like 4

Nbadraft.net grade 

A-

Griffin steps into the NBA with a phenomenal physical profile for a wing and elite perimeter shooting ability. He can score from all three levels, and he can create shots for himself in a variety of ways. His production was limited at Duke due to a loaded roster of high-usage offensive players. Glass-half-full scouts might see Griffin as a Devin Booker type of prospect – another player who had to pick his spots in his one year of college before blossoming into a dominant NBA scorer. Griffin, however, has a spotty medical history dating back to his high school days and might spend his first couple season struggling on the defensive end. But his one-on-one scoring ability and dead-eye spot-up shooting is undeniable. He represents tremendous value at this point in the draft for the Atlanta Hawks. Griffin will be a terrific perimeter shooting partner with Trae Young.

Martin

B- Martin put himself on the NBA radar after a terrific senior season with UConn that saw him elevate his 3pt% to 43% on solid volume. The 6-7 Martin has always rebounded exceptionally well for his size, consistently averaging 7+ boards per game, and he plays with tremendous intensity and competitive edge on defense. The shooting might be a bit of a fluke, however, as Martin has never previously topped 32% from the 3-point line and his foul shooting is consistently under 70%.

Griffin 

A-

Griffin steps into the NBA with a phenomenal physical profile for a wing and elite perimeter shooting ability. He can score from all three levels, and he can create shots for himself in a variety of ways. His production was limited at Duke due to a loaded roster of high-usage offensive players. Glass-half-full scouts might see Griffin as a Devin Booker type of prospect – another player who had to pick his spots in his one year of college before blossoming into a dominant NBA scorer. Griffin, however, has a spotty medical history dating back to his high school days and might spend his first couple season struggling on the defensive end. But his one-on-one scoring ability and dead-eye spot-up shooting is undeniable. He represents tremendous value at this point in the draft for the Atlanta Hawks. Griffin will be a terrific perimeter shooting partner with Trae Young.

Martin

B- Martin put himself on the NBA radar after a terrific senior season with UConn that saw him elevate his 3pt% to 43% on solid volume. The 6-7 Martin has always rebounded exceptionally well for his size, consistently averaging 7+ boards per game, and he plays with tremendous intensity and competitive edge on defense. The shooting might be a bit of a fluke, however, as Martin has never previously topped 32% from the 3-point line and his foul shooting is consistently under 70%.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2