• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Draft Grades

AHF

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do like that he isn't a stringy bean pole as far as the potential to eventually get to the FT line as well.  I badly want our future SG starter to get easy points from the line.  I have no idea why Bogi and especially Kevin are allergic to free throws given their size, shooting ability and craftiness.  All of them should watch tapes of Kevin Martin this offseason.

K-Mart was extremely crafty. Kevin and Bogi well aren't. 

• Premium Member

F-ing Clown organization!  🤡  That''s what we cheer for.  second rate shitshow of a team.   

Chris Kirchner wrote:The Hawks’ big draft-night trade Thursday saw the team send the 44th pick to Golden State for $2 million in cash and pick No. 51. Let me be very clear about this deal: There is no basketball reason the Hawks made this trade. The $2 million doesn’t help the salary cap, and it doesn’t help them avoid the luxury tax. It has no benefit to increasing your Hawks fandom in any way.

These were the players drafted from picks 44 through 50: Ryan Rollins, Josh Minott, Ismael Kamagate, Vince Williams Jr., Kendall Brown, Isaiah Mobley and Matteo Spagnolo. If any of them becomes a high-level contributor for another team, you can thank Ressler for the Hawks not having the chance to draft him. Oh, and the pick they sold at No. 44 was to the NBA champion Golden State Warriors, who frankly don’t care what it takes to possibly make their team better.

it actively hurts the franchise to drop seven slots for no reason at all. UConn’s Tyrese Martin, whom the Hawks picked at No. 51, could end up being a fine player for Atlanta, but the trade is still an awful one and a move that cannot be sold to the fan base as smart basketball decision-making. This isn’t on president of basketball operations Travis Schlenk or soon-to-be general manager Landry Fields. This is only on Ressler.

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They have some craftiness to them.  They use it more to avoid contact than draw it, though.  It is the difference between pump faking an opponent into the air and drawing contact on your shot versus pump faking him into the air and then stepping to the side to take a clean jumper free of any contact.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

A+ 

BPA, he’s got pedigree from a dad that grinded, Adrian made the most of the talent he had as I remember. A journeyman but he balled kinda like Rick Brunson and his son.

He shoots, first and foremost I love shooters always have. Secondly, he PLAYS AT HIS OWN PACE. Always under control, gathering himself, resetting and attacking. 

He looks to be able to create for himself a bit. He can put it on the floor some.

I’d like to see more of his middy game. 

Yup, A+

BPA as well for the pick. 

Agree with all that. I just hope his knee (the reason he dropped to us) doesn’t become a problem.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

A+ 

BPA, he’s got pedigree from a dad that grinded, Adrian made the most of the talent he had as I remember. A journeyman but he balled kinda like Rick Brunson and his son.

He shoots, first and foremost I love shooters always have. Secondly, he PLAYS AT HIS OWN PACE. Always under control, gathering himself, resetting and attacking. 

He looks to be able to create for himself a bit. He can put it on the floor some.

I’d like to see more of his middy game. 

Yup, A+

BPA as well for the pick. 

You and both discussed him earlier and I didn't think we had a shot at 16.

A+

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, sturt said:

Isn't it wild how, practically every draft in the Schlenk era, he's been the beneficiary of someone sliding down the board?

Someone probably already noted this at some point, so forgive if that's the case.

It's been uncanny.

Starting with JC

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AHF said:

I do like that he isn't a stringy bean pole as far as the potential to eventually get to the FT line as well.  I badly want our future SG starter to get easy points from the line.  I have no idea why Bogi and especially Kevin are allergic to free throws given their size, shooting ability and craftiness.  All of them should watch tapes of Kevin Martin this offseason.

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't know if would use him as an example, he was exposed immediately after the rip-through rule took effect.  The opposite of Trae.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I don't know if would use him as an example, he was exposed immediately after the rip-through rule took effect.  The opposite of Trae.

You can find plenty of other examples but I think of him because of his height and lack of strength.  Even after the rule change, he: still averaged over 5 fta/36 compared to Kiev’s career average of 1.0 per36 (0.9 last year).

Find whatever example you want and get them watching film and practicing those skills.  Would be huge for them.

• Premium Member

Back to the picks.

This is a signal.  I believe that these guys were picked for us.  Two 6'6" Wings.  They can easily step in if Hunter gets hurt.   Both guys are good from distance.   I actually think that Martin may be better than Griffin. Griffin has the higher pedigree.. But Martin has a lot of Natural talents.. plus he plays defense.

• Confused 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

You, have I ever told you that your eyes for talent is weird 

I know.. AJ has the accolades... 

but have you seen Martin in action?

I know AJ played for the US select team and the Duke BlueDevils...

But have you checked out Martin at all?

I had to go back and do my research.  I was mad because we traded with GS.   After just having a mad draft day...

but I said, let's see what we got.

Mind you, I watch ACC basketball every season.  I am familiar with Griff.

The problem I have with Griff is that he's not a good defender.  At all.  And his shooting gate.  But if the guy can shoot with that gate, I guess it's something to be appluaded. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Griff.. I just think we get something in Tyrese "The Big Dawg" that's a little more well rounded.  He's an actual 2 way player. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I know.. AJ has the accolades... 

but have you seen Martin in action?

I know AJ played for the US select team and the Duke BlueDevils...

But have you checked out Martin at all?

I had to go back and do my research.  I was mad because we traded with GS.   After just having a mad draft day...

but I said, let's see what we got.

Mind you, I watch ACC basketball every season.  I am familiar with Griff.

The problem I have with Griff is that he's not a good defender.  At all.  And his shooting gate.  But if the guy can shoot with that gate, I guess it's something to be appluaded. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Griff.. I just think we get something in Tyrese "The Big Dawg" that's a little more well rounded.  He's an actual 2 way player. 

Bro, both of them dudes will be on College Park next year. Martin is more well rounded but Griffin has rare offensive ability. That's a major gap and I wouldn't count Griffin out defensively long term. I remember Gary Trent Jr. at Duke on D and it was terrible. In less than 2 seasons, he was Portland's defensive stopper. Gotta give these guys time to develop when they are so young. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 11:27 AM, NBASupes said:

Fun fact: Kevin Martin’s career WS/48 is .136.  Trae’s is .134. Players in between: Hersey Hawkins, John Havlicek, Mike Conley.

Edited by benhillboy

• 9 months later...