• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Draft Grades

AHF

• Moderators

Please post a link to the source article and just the Hawks related material (not big swaths of the article):

Sporting News

12. Atlanta Hawks

• Grade: B+

Picks: AJ Griffin (#16), Tyrese Martin (#51)

Griffin was widely expected to land in the lottery because he's the best shooter in this draft class. The Hawks landed him at No. 16 without having to move up in the draft, giving All-Star guard Trae Young a floor spacer and offensive threat to take some pressure off on that end of the floor. Griffin at No. 16 is a steal.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba/news/nba-draft-grades-2022-best-pistons-worst-bulls/xgtk9iw7r2fg0qy1gxwipdzm

CBS

16. Atlanta Hawks: SF AJ Griffin, Duke

It took Griffin a little while to get comfortable at Duke because of a preseason knee injury that seemed to affect his athleticism. But the five-star high school recruit, who is the son of NBA assistant coach Adrian Griffin, eventually showed glimpses of why he's a lottery talent -- taken two spots after the lottery. He might be the best shooter in the draft and now gets to play with an elite passer in Trae Young. Grade: A+

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2022-nba-draft-grades-pick-by-pick-analysis-of-all-58-selections-in-night-where-the-surprises-started-at-1/

Sports Illustrated

16. Atlanta Hawks: AJ Griffin

Grade: B+

As some around the NBA suspected, Griffin wound up being the player who slid out of the lottery, and considering the fact he’s only 18 years old and one of the best shooters in the draft, this is a good value play for the Hawks. He doesn’t necessarily address a need for them, and he’s going to need to prove he can stay healthy, but this is certainly a pick that could provide major returns, and there are some who viewed him as a lottery talent. I wouldn’t go as far as to call this a no-brainer, as there’s some risk built in, but a lot of that is negated by getting him here at No. 16.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/24/2022-nba-draft-grades-analysis-magic-thunder-rockets

Yahoo

16. Atlanta Hawks: A.J. Griffin, F, Duke

Griffin is the definition of position-less basketball. He can move between multiple spots with his 6-foot-6, 230-pound frame. Griffin had his fair share of injuries through his young career, so he's a gamble this high in the draft. If he can stay healthy, he might be a missing piece to this Hawks team. Grade: B+

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nba-draft-grades-for-round-1-004222754.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Fox

16. Atlanta Hawks: AJ Griffin, wing, Duke

He is one of the best pure shot-makers in the class, having gone 49% from the floor and 45% from 3-point land this past season. Griffin’s frame makes him a powerful player as well, coming in at 6-foot-6 and 220 pounds. He uses his strength to find separation off the dribble with a game that features a terrific stepback jumper. The shot, while unique, is consistent and has been at every level.

He’s shown he can finish at the rim as well and because of his physical frame, he takes contact well. On the defensive end, Griffin could be a liability. He doesn’t have good foot speed and got blown by at times in college.

The Hawks need supporting guard play to help Trae Young out, and they could use better defensive players. That said, the opportunity to pick arguably the best catch-and-shoot weapon in the draft and have him play off Young is really intriguing. Grade: B

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/2022-nba-draft-grades-for-all-30-first-round-picks

NY Post

Atlanta Hawks — Grade: B+

No. 16: A.J. Griffin, SG/SF, Duke, Freshman

No. 51: Tyrese Martin, SF, UConn, Senior

If Griffin can stay healthy and play to his potential, the Hawks might have just gotten a backcourt partner for Trae Young who can eventually help them get to the next level. A lot has to happen for that scenario to come to fruition, but Griffin certainly has upside. He can create off the dribble and shoot the hell out of the ball, with a 44.7 percent mark from three last season, though injury issues hung over his last two high school seasons.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/24/2022-nba-draft-grades-breaking-down-every-teams-picks/

DimeMag

AJ Griffin (No. 16 Overall), A: Griffin has an extensive injury history, which could explain a bit of his fall. However, this is a heist for the Hawks from a value standpoint. Griffin is a top-10 talent that slipped to No. 16 overall, and he is a dynamite shooter that was once the No. 1 player in his high school class. His physical burst has diminished, perhaps from injuries, but if Griffin can hold up defensively, the fit in Atlanta is logical.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/atlanta-hawks-2022-nba-draft-grades-aj-griffin/

• Thanks 4

Looks like a talent we could not pass up at 16 even with the injury issues, he is so young that he could get past that when he stops growing and gets more physically mature or he could be like most of the Hawks and is injury prone and will be in and out of the lineup.

Hope for the best basically as he could be a long term starter if he can stay healthy and get better on defense.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Isn't it wild how, practically every draft in the Schlenk era, he's been the beneficiary of someone sliding down the board?

Someone probably already noted this at some point, so forgive if that's the case.

It's been uncanny.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Isn't it wild how, practically every draft in the Schlenk era, he's been the beneficiary of someone sliding down the board?

Someone probably already noted this at some point, so forgive if that's the case.

It's been uncanny.

Cam?  who else?  JC and Kev?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

Cam?  who else?  JC and Kev?

And though JJ was expected in that 20-ish range last season, the rest of that story is that he was widely thought to be lottery talent, but that the whole leaving Duke after just 13(?) games was a black mark.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sturt said:

And though JJ was expected in that 20-ish range last season, the rest of that story is that he was widely thought to be lottery talent, but that the whole leaving Duke after just 13(?) games was a black mark.

I hope JJ breaks out this year.  It'll ease the pain of Cam not working out.   There are a bunch of guys taken after Cam that would be nice to have right now. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

He clearly doesn't fill need for perimeter defense but there isn't a team that can't use a deadly sniper and his shooting numbers are really impressive.  Given the perceived value based on pre-draft projections, I am pretty positive on the pick myself.  Whether it works out or not, grabbing the guy who fell and who has a highly valuable skill like perimeter shooting seems to give both an intriguing floor and ceiling for the pick.  Of course, I had similar thoughts about the Salim Stoudamire pick years ago so what do I know?

AHF Grade:  B+

We don't know what he will become yet but we know the guy can shoot and score now at 18

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

And Cam only in the last 6 months or so has lost his luster... which, this is neither here nor there, but I honestly believe Cam's going to have that last laugh.

Yeah me too.   I'll be happy for him but it's going to sting. 

• Like 4

The fact that he can shoot so well means he can at least get on the floor, possibly in his 2nd year.  He will get the JJ treatment his rookie year.  He has great size and potential to improve in the other areas so hopefully he does.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I do like that he isn't a stringy bean pole as far as the potential to eventually get to the FT line as well.  I badly want our future SG starter to get easy points from the line.  I have no idea why Bogi and especially Kevin are allergic to free throws given their size, shooting ability and craftiness.  All of them should watch tapes of Kevin Martin this offseason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1