• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Post-Moratorium Insider Rumor Thread

AHF

• Moderators

I haven’t seen any evidence that the risk of injury is materially higher in televised games with referees than in pickup games hence I don’t see cognitive dissonance in most of the posts on this thread concluding that there just isn’t evidence beyond individual conjecture that the risk profile has shifted in a meaningful way from the 80’s to the 90’s to the present in players playing in these events.  Most of the posts seem to be premised on the idea that many players have always played over their summers and that this risk is very similar to what Trae faces in these summer leagues.  Your point sturt seems based on the idea that the extra attention in today’s media culture meaningfully increases the risk but that seems like an idea for which there is no data backing it.  Might be right, might be wrong - we don’t have the data.  

Cognitive dissonance is holding conflicting ideas simultaneously.  I’m not seeing that here.  Seems like they just aren’t buying into your assumption and that is just disagreement, not cognitive dissonance.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I haven’t seen any evidence that the risk of injury is materially higher in televised games with referees than in pickup games

Oh geez.

*sigh*

Pray tell, where would one go to get that evidence, my friend? The televising of these things, as has been noted, is a relatively recent phenomenon to begin with.

Substance can be two things... can be evidence, and can be a line of reason. In this case, we have a line of reason.

I'm so done with this topic. See me in 5 years, and we'll have this talk based on evidence, and hopefully my pessimism will be ill-founded.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

Oh geez.

*sigh*

Pray tell, where would one go to get that evidence, my friend? The televising of these things, as has been noted, is a relatively recent phenomenon to begin with.

Substance can be two things... can be evidence, and can be a line of reason. In this case, we have a line of reason.

I'm so done with this topic. See me in 5 years, and we'll have this talk based on evidence, and hopefully my pessimism will be ill-founded.

You have no evidence for your position.  I am not saying you can’t have your view but your view is equally well supported as someone who disagrees.  We have had televised basketball games for a long time and guys who had incentive to make a name for themselves against the biggest players for even longer.

I’m not saying you are irrational to have your view.  I am saying others have an equally rational basis to disagree in good faith with you.  You have your line of reasoning and they have theirs.  Both are valid if the assumptions that underly them are valid and we have no real way to call one sound and one unsound.  Hence, it is simple disagreement where you have not persuaded them and they have not persuaded you.

You would do well to take that condescending “oh geez … sigh” and put it aside and just engage in good faith on the substance of the topic.  Acting like you are taking with an unreasonable toddler doesn’t foster better discussion.  Your opinion is only that: an unsupported opinion.  My point in weighing in (beyond simply sharing my own opinion) is that I see nothing lending your opinion greater credence than anyone else’s opinion on this thread and I think the condescension and misapplied labels like “cognitive dissonance” are obstacles to good discussion. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, AHF said:

Acting like you are talking with an unreasonable toddler doesn’t foster better discussion.

....a very apt description - I have been searching for the perfect way to describe it. :good:

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

Not sure where this fits. Seems this is as good as anywhere.

Shaq is saying what the rest of us are thinking... ring brats so exhausting.

I lost respect for KD as any kind of all time great when he fled to GSW to get free rings. This wasn't like really old veterans just trying to get a ring before they retire like Gary Payton, Zo, etc. Dude was in his prime and fled OKC to go get free rings. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

I lost respect for KD as any kind of all time great when he fled to GSW

And that’s after his team was up 3-1 on GS in round 2 and blew it! How do you join the enemy? He’s a ⭐️ with the chase of a Robert Horry 🏆 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

I lost respect for KD as any kind of all time great when he fled to GSW to get free rings. This wasn't like really old veterans just trying to get a ring before they retire like Gary Payton, Zo, etc. Dude was in his prime and fled OKC to go get free rings. 

I didn't consider him a ring chaser going to GS.

From what I remember, they went to the Hamptons to court him.  I suppose that he would have considered staying in OKC had they not been so persausive.   Secondly, how hard was it to play with Westbrook?

So here's the deal.  He's playing with Westbrook.  It's hard.  They're winning but it's hard.   The Franchise just traded away Harden and Ibaka to hold on to Westbrook... so asking for them to move him is out of the question.   You have a choice of what you want to do..

If you've already decided to leave OKC....  should anybody fault you for listening to Draymond, Klay, and Steph... who flew all the way to where you were to invite you to be on their team??

This is why I have no angst for KD leaving OKC and going to GS.

However, we all know that KD moves funny.   I mean burner phones... thin skin... and can't keep a chick...  Not to mention, I felt that it was clearly a man violation the way he grabbed Trae during a game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

And that’s after his team was up 3-1 on GS in round 2 and blew it! How do you join the enemy? He’s a ⭐️ with the chase of a Robert Horry 🏆🤦‍♀️ 

No one who saw the last games of that series, and saw him ultimately flee to GS, could come away thinking anything other than he threw that series. 

Sorry.  Truth hurts.  It's time to talk about it.

He may have inadvertently threw it because he was mentally checked out.  But he absolutely threw it.

Eta.  ........ and furthermore, the idea that he had PHX on his "list" is HIGHLY suspect.  I mean, who TF goes to Phoenix on purpose?!

"Oh, they had the best record in the league?  Sign me up." - KD

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

No one who saw the last games of that series, and saw him ultimately flee to GS, could come away thinking anything other than he threw that series. 

Sorry.  Truth hurts.  It's time to talk about it.

He may have inadvertently threw it because he was mentally checked out.  But he absolutely threw it.

Eta.  ........ and furthermore, the idea that he had PHX on his "list" is HIGHLY suspect.  I mean, who TF goes to Phoenix on purpose?!

"Oh, they had the best record in the league?  Sign me up." - KD

So you side with Shaq and I? Good! Young lil prick 😂 

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So you side with Shaq and I? Good! Young lil prick 😂 

I mean, seriously.  Knowing he was talking to them about joining during that series about joining.  Then to have an epic collapse(sic).  Then to see how readily he stinks to "better" situations.

How can anyone not think he threw those games?

Shiiii, how can anyone not think he did the same to BKN last year?  It's too weird and coincidental. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I mean, seriously.  Knowing he was talking to them about joining during that series about joining.  Then to have an epic collapse(sic).  Then to see how readily he stinks to "better" situations.

How can anyone not think he threw those games?

Shiiii, how can anyone not think he did the same to BKN last year?  It's too weird and coincidental. 

You saw it too right? First off, the commish shoulda set the tone on the Jamal/Steven Adams fiasco cuz it was the nutshot, and ya, Kay mailed it in.