• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022-23 Hawks Training Camp News and Notes - 09/24/22

JayBirdHawk

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Murray be that alpha no doubt. When was the last time we had an alpha with a game? (Not counting Trae)

JJ wasn’t a vocal alpha..

Deke wasn’t (except for that finger :deke:)

Nique.. see JJ, quiet on floor leader

I don’t think I remember us having an all star like this.

Horford wasn’t. Kyle barely spoke. Lol. Teague was quiet… Sap was quiet.

• Like 3

hace 19 horas, JayBirdHawk dijo:

The biggest concern that I saw last night with the bench was lack of chemistry.  Lots of miscommunications which should get better the more they play.  Bogi (when he is available) and OO are the only 2 returning players from last season, so that second unit will have 3 new players regardless if it's DJM or AHoli at PG.

Well the main problem with the bench is size and SF, PF and C depth.

I would say Aaron Holiday and Bogi are good guard reserves. You can argue Holiday is small but he has been a backup for many teams for a reason. Behind them we have a battle, Forrest, Ettiene, Krejci, Armoni Brooks…. Probably battling for a rotation spot, I think Armoni should win that contest, and you need to add Tyrese Martin who showed some promise, we are good there.

SF is where problem starts, Justin Holiday is small to defend big SF, he is more a SG, Griffin is unproven and injury prone, we don’t have a big SF. This group is well below league average.

PF, behind Collins we only have JJ. We are really thin here, probably the thinnest of the league. Both Johnson and Collins have injury issues, both lack strength, both lack defense, we have a hole here. There is nothing out there except Markieff Morris or Eric Paschall. Silva is a joke.

C, behind Capela we have Okongwu and Kaminsky, not bad but we lack Strength and size, a big C to defend big Cs like Gobert, Embiid, Nurkic, Vucevic…. We need a Hassan Whiteside or a Demarcus Cousins.

We really lack strength and size inside and can really be a problem.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Hopefully Favors is cut, he would provide some toughness inside but I doubt we would sign him, we are soft as butter inside.

Agreed.

Can't sign him w/o going over the tax line as things currently stand. Would have to cut Krejci. (Reference tax line thread.)

That said, if you add someone too big, too slow, it affects the style of play for the other 4 guys on the court. Favors is just this side of that red line from my perspective... just big enough, just athletic enough. He's been productive, never flashy, anywhere he's ever been. And this time he's had in OKC maybe added a year to his career since not much tread wore off the proverbial tire. Been saying this pretty much all off-season, if not before.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Well the main problem with the bench is size and SF, PF and C depth.

I would say Aaron Holiday and Bogi are good guard reserves. You can argue Holiday is small but he has been a backup for many teams for a reason. Behind them we have a battle, Forrest, Ettiene, Krejci, Armoni Brooks…. Probably battling for a rotation spot, I think Armoni should win that contest, and you need to add Tyrese Martin who showed some promise, we are good there.

SF is where problem starts, Justin Holiday is small to defend big SF, he is more a SG, Griffin is unproven and injury prone, we don’t have a big SF. This group is well below league average.

PF, behind Collins we only have JJ. We are really thin here, probably the thinnest of the league. Both Johnson and Collins have injury issues, both lack strength, both lack defense, we have a hole here. There is nothing out there except Markieff Morris or Eric Paschall. Silva is a joke.

C, behind Capela we have Okongwu and Kaminsky, not bad but we lack Strength and size, a big C to defend big Cs like Gobert, Embiid, Nurkic, Vucevic…. We need a Hassan Whiteside or a Demarcus Cousins.

We really lack strength and size inside and can really be a problem.

1. IF...big if...if Nate is creative with his lineups... I can see JJ playing SF in a 'big' lineup similar to the Gallo, Collins, Cap lineup vs Sixers in the playoffs.  2. How many teams have big SF's coming off their benches? 

3. At PF - all offseason we saw a lot of OO at PF, so I can see where he plays alongside Kaminsky as well as Cap in small doses.

I’m sorry if we dumped Hark, no matter how mediocre he was, I’m looking for an upgrade in the vet department from the colonel in one way or another. Nothing against the young Detlef kid but we are in need of one or two more vet bench guys. 

Just my wish.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Murray be that alpha no doubt. When was the last time we had an alpha with a game? (Not counting Trae)

JJ wasn’t a vocal alpha..

Deke wasn’t (except for that finger :deke:)

Nique.. see JJ, quiet on floor leader

I don’t think I remember us having an all star like this.

Horford wasn’t. Kyle barely spoke. Lol. Teague was quiet… Sap was quiet.

Well, it's hard to find both.  Seriously.   When I say both I mean having the game and the voice.  You're right over our history, you rally find both.  Hell, as you survey the history of the league, you rarely see Both. 

Think about soon to be HOFer Dirk.   For years, he was the on the floor best player for the Mavs.  I don't ever remember him being the guy that barks at others and tells them where to be and speaks up for the team (other than press conferences). 

I don't really think that Isaiah was the alpha in the Bad Boys lockerroom.  I think that locerroom was probably Mahorn or somebody else calling the shots. 

I think on a team, you actually have three alpha like positions.

1.  Lockerroom Leader

2.   Alpha on the floor. 

3.  Face of the Team.

Since he's been here, Trae has been 2 & 3.

Actually, JC  has been the 1. 

I think because of his personality, DJM will probably become the 1 and maybe a 2.   He (to me) will never replace Trae as the Face or the alpha on the floor. 

Nique was a great 3 and a great 2.   But I don't think he was ever the 1.   I remember going into the lockerroom to meet the Hawks when I was younger.  Nique wasn't quiet but he wasn't the leader either.   I think Tree was more lockerroom leader as him at the time but then again, Nique was a young boi.  He was becoming the Face at that time. 

31 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Diesel  Sorry to hear that you are ailing.  Saying a prayer that you get well soon!

😇

Mule, I sincerely appreciate that!  The prayers of the righteous availeth much!!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m sorry if we dumped Hark, no matter how mediocre he was, I’m looking for an upgrade in the vet department from the colonel in one way or another. Nothing against the young Detlef kid but we are in need of one or two more vet bench guys. 

Just my wish.

Your wish right now - soon enough we'll be clamoring for Nate to play and develop the young guys and stop relying on vets. :hehe:

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Your wish right now - soon enough we'll be clamoring for Nate to play and develop the young guys and stop relying on vets. :hehe:

This is where I have one problem. 

JJ is hurt a freaking gain and may miss the trip.  This is a problem with young guys.   They miss important time and fans expect the coach to not be hesitant about putting them in the lineup.    With JJ and AJ our Js... these guys have a bad young history of injury setbacks.   How can we develop consistency if everytime I look around, AJ has toenail fungus injurie and JJ has an overactive Glut that is keeping them out of practice and games for weeks at a time.   That is my biggest concern..

You know what else made John Stockton so great...  The sorry joker never missed games.  Whatever happened to ironmen.  We got pros who don't play nearly as many back to back as they used to when they were not being paid like Rockstars... complaining about playing too much and taking rest breaks in the season.   Too many ADs.. not enough Stocktons. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Krejci is the only one currently that has an NBA contract (partial guarantee), the rest will be going to the GLeague.

(If he's not cut... ) Would anticipate that Krejci and Martin will still see a lot of G-League time assuming (and it's a big assumption, of course, especially for the first few games with BogBog's recovery pending) everyone is healthy, even though they're both on partial guarantee contracts... ie, since you can only have 13 of your 15 eligible for any given game.

Likely game eligible backcourt (lead guards and wings) most nights:

1. Trae

2. Dej

3. BogBog (... who Nate includes as the "sixth starter," paraphrasing... )

4. Aaron (... primary PG for 6-8 min when both Trae and Murray are getting breather...)

5. Justin (... next wing off bench after BogBog, but probably the first one *sigh* for as long as BogBog's out... )

6. AJ (... *knocks on wood*... )

7. Dre

Likely game eligible frontcourt:

8. John

9. Clint

10. Jalen

11. Onyeka

12. Frank

13. ???

• Premium Member

For the record... KJ Martin has not missed any NBA games in two years except for a covid episode.

He's young, but he's been both reliable and productive.

(And he's very much considered to be available.)

Again again... the problem with going out into the market and getting a vet (re: Spotrac thread) is that you have to be okay with either cutting Krejci (and with that, be satisfied with 14 players after all)... or going over the tax line again. It does appear that the latter is a no-no for sure.

(Cutting Krejci isn't a huge deal to me, and you can certainly put up with just having 14 players for a short amount of time... but it's ridiculous to me that the league would allow you 15, and/but you're satisfied to go long-term with 14 anyway.... what baseball team goes with 25 instead of 26?... what football team goes with 52 instead of 53?... why do that to yourself and tempt fate to put you in a bad position on a given night?)