• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022-23 Hawks Training Camp News and Notes - 09/24/22

JayBirdHawk

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

He talked about getting Brad Daugherty the ball in the post and waiting for Brad to get in position to pound the ball 5 times before he goes up with it. 

Yup, rhythm and timing for sure. That team knew it’s roles and played them well. Just because Jordan broke them it doesn’t mean they weren’t a great team.I remember I hated playing them and they would always beat us badly with Lenny at the helm. That’s why I was so happy when we got Lenny on our side.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I went to the open practice.  Was just curious if others agree with this.

1- Aaron Holiday was really good.  I was surprised

2- Hunter looked great.  very encouraging

3- JJ should definitely get minutes.  His ceiling is super high.  Showed the ability to put it on the floor and drive by his man a couple times.  Y'all ever notice that he never puts his heels on the floor.  On his toes all the time.

4- Our bench is a big concern w/o Bogi.  and even with him.  We've got not a lot there

5- Justin Holiday looks good to me

6- Frank will be interesting to see if he gets in the rotation at all.   He seems skilled and he's huge but didn't see a lot out of him.  Seems to screen well though.

7- Culver - I don't know what to say.  Guy looked great on offense.  What's been his issues?

8 - We were worried about guys playing in pro ams, we should worry about training camp invitees.  Clint and Trae got absolutely decked by guys in the scrimmage. 

1. yes he was, played good defense and he has some jets, can get to the rim with ease, pushed the pace in transition

2. Yes he did, they ran a ton of plays for him and he battled for rebounds

3. agreed with all - his speed and athleticism really showed. where Gallo would walk the ball up, he will push the pace

4. yes it will be, particularly if Nate is gonna play an all bench lineup: I can see some lineups with AHoli, DJ, Bogi, JJ and OO.  OO really needs a PG to get him the ball in the right spots and on time, you could see the miscommunication between him and Etienne and JHol - but that comes with practice.  That's where I think Murray will really help.  

5. Indeed

6. agreed

7. He can drive the ball with ease, has a handle and can athletically get to the rim and finish, which is something we have been lacking.  His issue has been his outside shooting and freethrow shooting, he was 1-2 from 3 in the scrimmage.  Hopefully Korver and help in this department.

8. yep - that was Malik Ellison who colliding with Trae, I yelled 'Don't take out the Franchise' Trae did not return after that, seems like a thigh hit.  IIRC correctly it was Cap and OO colliding. Silva muscled up OO - he is a solidly built dude.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup, rhythm and timing for sure. That team knew it’s roles and played them well. Just because Jordan broke them it doesn’t mean they weren’t a great team.I remember I hated playing them and they would always beat us badly with Lenny at the helm. That’s why I was so happy when we got Lenny on our side.

They would beat us because they had more talent.   There are levels.   Lenny did what he could.  Lenny's teams usually performed better than their talent but even that has a limit.  Hell, with Nique, he had us on a championship March but then came the trade.  Manning just didn't have the fire to be the lead dog.   Just imagine if Manning had the fire/swagger/attitude of Trae.   That's why as long as Trae is playing, I want him in a Hawks Jersey.  He has wanted it all of his life.   That's our city. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

This. He flares ALL THE TIME. Not sure if that’s a strength thing or a designed play but a nice sturdy pick sends a nice sturdy message too.

I wonder now if it was his foot.  He use to set better picks.  But if it's painful to plant your feet, you become like Glenn Rice in his later playing days.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The arena erupted on this play...he had them.on skates then pulled a step back three - swish!

I was surprised by JHol's handle - I thought he'd be more like TSnell, strictly CnS - he's not spectacular, just better than I remember.

He's always been a good player, just needed to find what he is at this level like Shelvin Mack did for us years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

- Aaron Holiday was really good.  I was surprised

- Hunter looked great.  very encouraging

- JJ should definitely get minutes.  His ceiling is super high.  Showed the ability to put it on the floor and drive by his man a couple times.  Y'all ever notice that he never puts his heels on the floor.  On his toes all the time.

- Our bench is a big concern w/o Bogi.  and even with him.  We've got not a lot there

- Justin Holiday looks good to me

- Frank will be interesting to see if he gets in the rotation at all.   He seems skilled and he's huge but didn't see a lot out of him.  Seems to screen well though.

- Culver - I don't know what to say.  Guy looked great on offense.  What's been his issues?

We were worried about guys playing in pro ams, we should worry about training camp invitees.  Clint and Trae got absolutely decked by guys in the scrimmage. 

Excellent feedback. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

- Aaron Holiday was really good.  I was surprised

- Hunter looked great.  very encouraging

- JJ should definitely get minutes.  His ceiling is super high.  Showed the ability to put it on the floor and drive by his man a couple times.  Y'all ever notice that he never puts his heels on the floor.  On his toes all the time.

- Our bench is a big concern w/o Bogi.  and even with him.  We've got not a lot there

- Justin Holiday looks good to me

- Frank will be interesting to see if he gets in the rotation at all.   He seems skilled and he's huge but didn't see a lot out of him.  Seems to screen well though.

- Culver - I don't know what to say.  Guy looked great on offense.  What's been his issues?

We were worried about guys playing in pro ams, we should worry about training camp invitees.  Clint and Trae got absolutely decked by guys in the scrimmage. 

Nice synopsis -- always wanted to go to one of these but haven't been able to make it.  

Our bench is such an unknown (for me) so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Some of y'all love to create a crisis when there isn't one.  In what world do you think that Murray will strictly play shooting guard?  Heck that's the Hawk's biggest concern that he would struggle at that position.  You know as well as the rest of the basketball universe that Trae or Murray will run point 100% of the point guard minutes available.  Plus that ain't even close to being our bench players or even active players on game day

• Like 2

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Some of y'all love to create a crisis when there isn't one.  In what world do you think that Murray will strictly play shooting guard?  Heck that's the Hawk's biggest concern that he would struggle at that position.  You know as well as the rest of the basketball universe that Trae or Murray will run point 100% of the point guard minutes available.  Plus that ain't even close to being our bench players or even active players on game day

I don't know what you're saying.  I agree we are stacked at PG.  But who are our proven backups at 2,3,4?  We got Bogi (currrently hurt), AJ (rookie currently hurt), Holiday, JJ (barely played in the NBA).   That's not a contender level bench imo. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't know what you're saying.  I agree we are stacked at PG.  But who are our proven backups at 2,3,4?  We got Bogi (currrently hurt), AJ (rookie currently hurt), Holiday, JJ (barely played in the NBA).   That's not a contender level bench imo. 

So you have an all star back up point guard, Serviceable wings like Bogi and holiday,  top 6 pick in Okungwu and a serviceable big in Kaminisky and they are not a contending bench?  A Holiday is even serviceable as the 11th man.  What does Milwaukee's bench look like in comparison?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Good to see you back Supes!

Got me arguing with Sturt these days over players that neither of us cares about.   That's Diesel-Schwaben for we missed you!

😃

I’m not enough for you? :cray2:So what are we about then? :huh: Am I just wasting my time with you? :er:

… seriously I need to get off desperate housewives it’s my gf fault I walked by and was hatin but now it’s seeped in and I’m kinda :angry2: about it!