• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We are great! (Fans)

Spud2nique

An old adage that some posters on other sites apparently don't adhere to:

"It is better to remain silent and have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

😇

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Haha 4

• Premium Member

I agree with this. The real fans, and there are many of us, know every detail of what has happened to this franchise for many years. We understand basketball and above all carry the spirit of the city itself. Many of us have an underdog mentality and are patiently waiting for the dog to have it’s day enjoying the journey the whole way. It will make winning it all that much sweeter. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, Spud2nique said:

As Hawks fans on this site. I might be biased but I’ve been reading a ton of past threads on Hawks drafts, FA, etc. 

I could be wrong but I think we might be the smartest fan base in the league. 

Knowledgeable! 

Hats off to all of you smart people! :approved:

I  think an interesting project would be to score the folks on here based on their comments during past drafts.  If poster hated, disliked, neutral, like, loved a player, give that poster 1-5 for each player he mentioned and match that against a player was bust, below average, average, above average, star/star+. Match those rankings for each poster and give him a "trustability score".  1 last column per poster, activity score.  The more he talks about players, the less/more his variance from reality can be disregarded/trusted.

Any other data science nerds out there want to research this for last 5+ drafts and make something?

Edited by thecampster
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Well one reason is the Hawks don't currently have a lot of casual fans.   Knicks, Bulls, Heat, Warriors, Lakers have tons and tons of them.  Folks who just want to wear the gear and shout a lot but don't actually follow the team that close.   And if you're a die hard of one of those teams do you really want to get in a discussion only to find out the ones on your side are idiots?

Yeah, I was going to say something very similar.  I don't think we are inherently special as much as a much more diehard / hardcore selection of fans than a lot of the bandwagon franchises.  Almost everyone on here has followed the NBA in general and this team specifically for years (often decades).  There are good fans of every franchise and there is a real "natural selection" type of process by which the Squawk's membership skews hard toward being people who are engaged and informed about their team and the league.  And we still make some terrible calls / takes as well.  Comes with being human.

• Like 2