• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Almost teary eyed.....

Diesel

2 minutes ago, StonedDogs said:

So we're talking about appearances now? Cmon we're Hawks fans. Our class has come down to players appearances after running out of facts? Outside of Hawks bubble there is a country of people with a photo of a lollipop and hair strands on it with a caption of our point guard. Thats classless 

I thought we were just talkin. The seriousness of my responses are based on the seriousness of the content. I took the whole thing as a joke. 

Luka hasn’t won anything yet. Ja hasn’t done even more of nothing. 

Pump the brakes. Trae is the best passer of the three and will win a ring before the other two. 

YA I SAID IT!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I thought we were just talkin. The seriousness of my responses are based on the seriousness of the content. I took the whole thing as a joke. 

Luka hasn’t won anything yet. Ja hasn’t done even more of nothing. 

Pump the brakes. Trae is the best passer of the three and will win a ring before the other two. 

YA I SAID IT!

Wel of course you would. You're Trae's #1 fan. If I were you I probably would too. If I didn't know any better you may even be Trae Young. NBA players do read tweets and hang out on forums

• Premium Member

Trae's #1 problem is his emotions.  He gets into little minigames within our games that are detrimental -- the most recent being his spat with the Rockets and trying to hero ball us into a victory.  He is the most talented of the three players mentioned here, but his size will keep him from having the same impact as Luka.  Right now, he's struggling this year, but I think his struggles are also largely a symptom of a larger issue (coaching and overall offense).  

I will say though, this is the first year that I feel we are REALLY seeing the long term negative impacts of tanking.  We let Trae go out and solidify his already bad habits to lose games and he did whatever he wanted for the better part of his first two years here.  I still have hope we can get a coach in that can rectify some of that, but a lot of it is on Trae.  You have to trust your teammates and always try to make the correct play.  Taking low % shots because you don't trust your teammates to make their shots is a downward spiral, and it's never going to result in long term winning basketball.  I do feel like he still hunts for highlights when we need to be running sets or action to get better looks.  Nate of course is even more at fault for this but that's a separate topic.

I know some here think Trae playing hero ball is a feature, not a bug, but if we are serious about winning, he has to take what the defense gives us and nothing more.  I've seen him do this and we can blow teams.  Sometimes that means him scoring 40 and having 8 assists, and sometimes that means him scoring 24 and 15 assists. -- you have to watch the game to know if he's making correct decisions.  I've also seen him oscillate between hero ball and assist hunting at times, but I trust he'll find the right balance... his development isn't going to be linear.  We need an impetus for change right now and I think it's a coaching move.  Maybe Bogi coming back.  Maybe a JC trade (tougher to imagine), but we need something to get out of this rut.  I have no faith McMillan and his staff have an answer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

What i've seen of Luka and Ja on the defensive end has not been good at all.  yeah they have some advantages over Trae but saying they are good defenders is a stretch. 

Ja is a "highlight defender".  Meaning, that if he is trailing you, he can make the spectacular block.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My opinions on Young have not changed...he takes bad shots and makes bad decisions.  Now his shooting percentages are suffering because of the above.  No one else on the team can be blamed for this decline in efficiency except Trae Young himself. I hope his play significantly improves by mid season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

No one else on the team can be blamed for this decline in efficiency except Trae Young himself.

Nah, there is definitely shared blame there.  Him and DJ are the only ones who can self create so they're forced to chuck away when plays break down or there are no plays to begin with.  We need a clear offensive identity and that will help everyone.  Trae is guilty of waiting too long to initiate anything and draining too much shot clock.  He's also guilty of making poor decisions at times (and great ones at others) but that's more development opportunities imo

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

My opinions on Young have not changed...he takes bad shots and makes bad decisions.  Now his shooting percentages are suffering because of the above.  No one else on the team can be blamed for this decline in efficiency except Trae Young himself. I hope his play significantly improves by mid season.

He has been significantly better recently - somebody showed a tweet that had his fg% over his last 9 or 10 games or whatever it was at over 46%.  Usually he really gets going after the new year and starts the year slow.  He absolutely needs to get back to his normal efficiency.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Nah, there is definitely shared blame there.  Him and DJ are the only ones who can self create so they're forced to chuck away when plays break down or there are no plays to begin with.  We need a clear offensive identity and that will help everyone.  Trae is guilty of waiting too long to initiate anything and draining too much shot clock.  He's also guilty of making poor decisions at times (and great ones at others) but that's more development opportunities imo

So who creates on Dallas' team?

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae vs Luka shouldnt even be a conversation.. 

Trae vs Ja can be debated I guess...

But Im taking Ja over Trae Easily if Im starting a new squad..

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So who creates on Dallas' team?

Doncic.  He's a SF body playing PG which is automatic mismatches... he can post up with his size and has a lot more options than Trae who has to create space with his quickness.  Dallas has embraced him and the heliocentric offense that comes with him.  We are not doing that at all right now.  We did that in '19-20 and Trae easily made the all-star team.  We mostly did that in our ECF run as well, but now we're running Nate's patented ISO and "find the mismatch" offense that averages fewer passes than any team in the league.  We don't swing it and we don't create defensive lapses.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Trae vs Luka shouldnt even be a conversation.. 

Trae vs Ja can be debated I guess...

I don't know why posters continue to make excuses for Young to be honest with you.  Even when he plays poorly, It has to be someone else's fault.  I find this strange.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Doncic.  He's a SF body playing PG which is automatic mismatches... he can post up with his size and has a lot more options than Trae who has to create space with his quickness.  Dallas has embraced him and the heliocentric offense that comes with him.  We are not doing that at all right now.  We did that in '19-20 and Trae easily made the all-star team. 

Ummmm in the 2019-20 season the team was 20-47 so thank god we aren't doing it right now.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't know why posters continue to make excuses for Young to be honest with you.  Even when he plays poorly, It has to be someone else's fault.  I find this strange.

Boston has 3 new guys in the rotation and a new coach and hasnt missed a beat..

Cleveland added Mitchell.. Theyre ballin...

Hell Huerter went to a whole new squad and looks better than ever...

We cant keep using the "getting used to his new teammates" excuse for Trae much longer....(this goes for DJM also)

Just heard Trae say that on a recent interview... Wtf are they doing at practice? And didnt they play together all off season?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

His teammates aren't making him miss shots.  He is doing that all on his own

Don't look now but he is shooting 47.5% FG% / 60.6% TS% over his last 7 games.  His normal form is to start the season slow and kick into gear with the new year.  If his 3pt shot starts coming around he will be just fine.

17 hours ago, terrell said:

Ja is much less of a passer than Trae and is a less efficient scorer (if you believe in the last 3-4 seasons worth of data).  I have a feeling that if you get frustrated because Trae doesn't pass as much as you want and isn't as efficient as you want that you would not enjoy seeing 3 fewer assists per game coming from your PG and scoring at a .558% TS% (Ja) instead of a .580% TS% (Trae).

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Ja is much less of a passer than Trae and is a less efficient scorer (if you believe in the last 3-4 seasons worth of data).  I have a feeling that if you get frustrated because Trae doesn't pass as much as you want and isn't as efficient as you want that you would not enjoy seeing 3 fewer assists per game coming from your PG and scoring at a .558% TS% (Ja) instead of a .580% TS% (Trae).

Oh yes he would.  Sure Trae has him NARROWLY beat in TS%, and it's debatable who is the better floor general...but you're not giving Ja his due on the true indicator of greatness.  What makes up for the other numbers and truly separates him from Trae:

Spoiler

Best Ja Morant Dunk GIFs | Gfycat

Ja Morant shot .868% on DnK% last year.  Remind me again how many of these Trae had?  Must be ZERO% on that because I can't seem to find the stat.

😤

• Haha 2