• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mr. Buzzer Beater aka The Rook aka AJ Griff

Spud2nique

i_9d_bb_2d_aj-griffin.png?w=190

The Hawks executed a perfect play in the final seconds of overtime of that contest to set up Griffin with the game-winning layup. Trae Young maneuvered past four Raptors players and then floated the ball up to Griffin and the rookie tossed the ball in off the glass to beat the horn. He became the first rookie to have multiple game-winning buzzer-beaters in the same season since Toni Kukoc during the 1993-94 season.He is also the first Hawks player over the last 25 seasons to accomplish that feat. “He has confidence in himself,” Hawks coach Nate McMillan said. “He works hard. When he has a rhythm as he did tonight, you want to try to get that ball in his hands because he can shoot the ball and make plays, and tonight he did. That play was the biggest of the game tonight.”

via The Rookie Wire
  • Like 4

• Moderators

I am just loving what I've seen from AJ this year.  You know a rook is going to have rough nights and get worked by vets.  That is just life as a teenager playing against men.  But there has been so many positive moments and growth in such a short period of time.  Your boy is making you proud, @Spud2nique!

Also, does anyone know how many buzzer-beaters Kukoc had as a rookie?  Wanting to see how many Griff needs to pass him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am just loving what I've seen from AJ this year.  You know a rook is going to have rough nights and get worked by vets.  That is just life as a teenager playing against men.  But there has been so many positive moments and growth in such a short period of time.  Your boy is making you proud, @Spud2nique!

Also, does anyone know how many buzzer-beaters Kukoc had as a rookie?  Wanting to see how many Griff needs to pass him.

Honestly, I didn’t think he’d be as good as he is…definitely not this soon. I guess I was used to the Cam and our other rookies developments from the past. Ya, he’s been tremendous for sure, very clutch and saavy.

• Like 4

Talent + hard work = our very own rookie!

Parents are both very athletic.  AJ inherited from both sides of his family.  He has worked very hard to overcome various injuries and seems to be 100% healthy.  

In my opinion, Jalen Johnson didn't play enough minutes last season to disqualify him from rookie status.  Therefore, rookie to rookie = winning play against the Bulls!

🥰

• Like 2