• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk headed to an Advisory Role

Jody23

Good decision. Didn't rate Schlenk and his legacy will forever be tarnished by trading Luka Doncic.

However Landry Fields is off to a terrible start in his GM career. The Kevin Huerter trade is horrible. And both of Schlenk/Fields can't seem to find a suitable trade for John Collins for past 2-3 years.

• Confused 1

• Premium Member

I don't get it.

What's different?

Who's opinion is actually somehow increased or decreased here? Do we really think Ressler's? Surely not. And why would Schlenk be content to have some lesser say, after putting his heart/soul into building the car?

Weird. Makes no sense to me from any angle.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I don't get it.

What's different?

Who's opinion is actually somehow increased or decreased here? Do we really think Ressler's? Surely not. And why would Schlenk be content to have some lesser say, after putting his heart/soul into building the car?

Working theory given three more minutes of thought..............................

Schlenk and Ressler are at an impasse, with Ressler determined to not pay tax.

Rather than resign, Schlenk has asked to be placed into an advisory position until he can identify a next lily pad to jump to.

Beginning of the end.

Reference Wilcox being put into an "advisory" role before.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

I don't get it.

What's different?

I don't get it either.  I had similar thoughts when Fields and TS were both "promoted".  From what Sothron is saying it sounds like it means TS is somehow even more entrenched with the franchise from a job security and decision making point of view.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is on Ressler. When Fields gets a directive to get under the tax, it severely limits the trade options.

Understand that but its still bad. I would of rather gone with a 13 man roster and even if that includes a couple of cheap G league players if the direction was to save tax.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

more entrenched

I don't doubt they're tight.

But sometimes people who like each other eventually find they can't work together anymore... and out of respect to Travis, Tony's not going to fire him... and out of respect to Tony, Travis isn't going to leave in a huff and cause a scene.

Just my conjecture. Could be wrong. Makes more sense to me than anything else, tho.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, sturt said:

I don't get it.

What's different?

TS will have a say. I don't know if you are aware of the Falcons and how they operate but this is literally the Rich McKay situation for the Hawks. TS is going nowhere unless he wants to leave at some point. This promotion makes him basically fireproof because Fields is the true GM now. And if things don't work out then Fields would be the one held accountable...not TS.

TS just got the best CYA job in sports. He has a legit say in what goes on, he has a direct voice to the owner and best of all for him there is zero accountability for his position. It is a win/win scenario for TS.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, TheBigETrain said:

Understand that but its still bad. I would of rather gone with a 13 man roster and even if that includes a couple of cheap G league players if the direction was to save tax.

Explain? How do you get there? I don't follow.

Huerter's salary ($14 mil)  was reduced into two smaller contracts $6.4 (JHol) and $4.5 (Mo).  The $4.5 was then traded for $1.5 (Vit) to get under the tax by $1.7 mil.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

TS will have a say. I don't know if you are aware of the Falcons and how they operate but this is literally the Rich McKay situation for the Hawks. TS is going nowhere unless he wants to leave at some point. This promotion makes him basically fireproof because Fields is the true GM now. And if things don't work out then Fields would be the one held accountable...not TS.

TS just got the best CYA job in sports. He has a legit say in what goes on, he has a direct voice to the owner and best of all for him there is zero accountability for his position. It is a win/win scenario for TS.

Again, all of that could have already been true without making any public move like this at all.

Sticking with my theory. I think Travis has some pride, and I think he may be persuaded that Tony's resistance to any further payroll is torpedoing his work.

Ressler, also, doesn't seem to be the type who just wants to give people money to do nothing and have no responsibility... true?

History says publicly moving into an "advisory" role is a fairly typical path toward exiting an organization.

• Like 1